Canol Outfitters

MDM23

FNG
I feel for those hunters booked in ’24 and ‘25. Some it won’t matter they will just rebook but others have probably saved their whole life for their hunt and they dont have the ability to pay another 20-25%, that is crushing I am sure for those guys.
Glenda and Glen ran a great outfit, I hope she was at least given an opportunity to buy it and not basically forced out.

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
Heard she got a raw deal, but it's done. Was booked with Glenda and chose to move to another outfitter on a cancellation for most of the reasons stated above. Wish Landen and his fam the best, but I think you have to 100% trust and know your outfitter first, even in the NWT. The money side if just plain killer to the whole sheep hunting addiction we all have for most of us and our kids. There are a few otfrs that are still priced right, but what I tell myself is to endure the financial pain right now because there is no breaking point. The demand from the well-heeled, corporate-paid and friends of the new US-based owners of these concessions is not going to back down in our lifetime. For me and after a couple more trips I already have booked, I'm done with Canada and re-focusing on high-country early season deer hunts in Colo, NV, etc and anybody I know who draws a bighorn tag here at home to get my high country high.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
[QUOTE="stetsonoverton,
Heard of another outfit in Yukon who did same thing when it purchased its concession, wiped all future booked hunts clean and offered them to rebook at higher rate
[/QUOTE]

Heard the same thing about a Yukon outfitter. Shame really.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve witnessed firsthand and also heard same stuff goin’ on. Some kept their prices same for COVID folks that got bumped, some raised prices and basically said deal with it. Change of hands with an outfit seems to cause the same as is being discussed with Canol, if in fact that’s the case. Demand is so darn high and climbing, guess it is what it is. On the flip side, there are still some “decently priced” Sheep hunts still out there for where we’re at price-wise in the Sheep world. I’m heading back to the Yukon in 2025, and definitely got a pretty good price for what our contract is.

buckpro

FNG
Unfortunately I got caught up in this. Hate it for Glenda and them. Hoping to get it sorted out and get my deposit back, but haven't decided if i want to rebook with the new outfit.

If anyone has any leads on a 2025 hunt, it would be appreciated as i am keeping my options open.

GSPMich

FNG
I had a hunt booked with Glenda for 25. I’ll echo what others have said, when I got off the phone with her I told her I was disappointed I wouldn’t be able to hunt with her outfit but I could also hear the disappointment in her voice.

I did not book with Landen, but I did have a good conversation with him on the phone, I wish him the best.

I was able to find a hunt in 27 that I am excited about, and the outfitter seems to think I may be able to move up to 26, fingers crossed.

Disappointed is the word, I booked a few years ago and hadn’t been paying attention to prices. When I read on here what some outfitters were starting to get I told myself we’ll be glad you booked when you did and aren’t gonna pay that much. Well, maybe not.

I had a hunt booked with Glenda for 25. I’ll echo what others have said, when I got off the phone with her I told her I was disappointed I wouldn’t be able to hunt with her outfit but I could also hear the disappointment in her voice.

I did not book with Landen, but I did have a good conversation with him on the phone, I wish him the best.

I was able to find a hunt in 27 that I am excited about, and the outfitter seems to think I may be able to move up to 26, fingers crossed.

Disappointed is the word, I booked a few years ago and hadn’t been paying attention to prices. When I read on here what some outfitters were starting to get I told myself we’ll be glad you booked when you did and aren’t gonna pay that much. Well, maybe not.
Sorry to hear you got caught up in that I feel for you since you had a good locked in price

Glad you found a hunt in 27, I am booked to try and get my first sheep in 27 in Yukon and I’m looking forward to it

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Man I feel super fortunate to have just did a cancellation sheep hunt this past year with Glenda. She ran a top notch operation and everyone I talked with had a great experience there. I honestly would have a tough time imagining a better place to hunt in the NWT. Their family poured their hearts and souls into that place and I think their family is heartbroken over the situation. I hate it for them.
Being relatively new to the sheep scene it's disheartening to see the business model that's developing. I'm even seeing contracts being made with a clause that prices may increase by the time your hunt year rolls around with an option to get the deposit back.
It's a new game and will not get any better. I think this is one of those times that we'll look back in 10 years and wish we'd booked that hunt that we hated to spend the money on at the time because it's exponentially higher.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I got caught up in this. Hate it for Glenda and them. Hoping to get it sorted out and get my deposit back, but haven't decided if i want to rebook with the new outfit.

If anyone has any leads on a 2025 hunt, it would be appreciated as i am keeping my options open.
Hit me up man with a PM. Might can get ya in 2025 with a great outfit.

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
Anyone got their deposit back yet?
Received my deposit back the first of the year. Same thoughts all around with me. In Reno right now and watching the Selective movie again just makes me feel worse for Glenda and Glen. It’s the business some say, but seems so much more. Did get lucky and got a sheep cancellation in the NWT for this year for end of Aug. Not hunted that late up there myself, but like the hard horn Caribou possibility as well. Anyone else hunt the last 10 days of Aug?

Scottf270

WKR
I think you will love that time frame. I hunted moose in early September there twice and weather wasn't bad. You can have weather but the coats on the sheep will be much better then. Congratulations. I got priced out with the COVID debacle and crazy price increase.

RdRdrFan

WKR
I was told that everyone that had a spot with Canol will get their deposit back. Then if you want to keep the spot you had booked you will need to rebook with the new owners. It will be 25% more than what was booked with Canol for 2024. For 2025 the prices will go up another almost 20% on top of the 25% for the coming year. Very poor communication and a take it or leave it attitude.

I’ve been following this thread. I guess I was hoping that it was just smoke and that there really wasn’t a fire.

Wife and I were unable to go to Reno this time but we are headed to Nashville in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book a NWT Dall hunt for me and have my son come along (he will be 13-15 by the time we go) as an observer and let him kill a caribou. Have the same hunt planned for 2025 with Blackstone for a Fannin ram for me and a caribou for my older son who will be 15 at the time. Blackstone sold out a little over a year ago but the new owner did the right thing and honored existing contracts.

Canol was #1 on my list for the NWT hunt I was going to book. Met Glenda over the years at a few of the different conventions.

Won’t be booking with the new outfit. If they are treating folks who had a contract that way then they aren’t the kind of people I want to deal with.

Guess this trip to Nashville will be a little more focused than I expected. It had been kind of a done deal in my head.

outahand

FNG
I’ve been following this thread. I guess I was hoping that it was just smoke and that there really wasn’t a fire.

Wife and I were unable to go to Reno this time but we are headed to Nashville in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book a NWT Dall hunt for me and have my son come along (he will be 13-15 by the time we go) as an observer and let him kill a caribou. Have the same hunt planned for 2025 with Blackstone for a Fannin ram for me and a caribou for my older son who will be 15 at the time. Blackstone sold out a little over a year ago but the new owner did the right thing and honored existing contracts.

Canol was #1 on my list for the NWT hunt I was going to book. Met Glenda over the years at a few of the different conventions.

Won’t be booking with the new outfit. If they are treating folks who had a contract that way then they aren’t the kind of people I want to deal with.

Guess this trip to Nashville will be a little more focused than I expected. It had been kind of a done deal in my head.
sounds like blackstones new owners are stand up people