Canon EOS Rebel t6.. worth keeping?

HDwild

WKR
I'm new to photography and right now I have a Canon Rebel t6. Just bought a shotgun mic for it and come to find out, this camera doesn't have the right jack for the mic.

I've been thinking about getting a better camera anyway but I want opinions on whether the rebel is worth keeping or if I should just get a new camera that is a little higher quality with better video shooting capabilities?

The T6 is an excellent starter camera. It has limitations as you found out. Great camera for better pictures then a point and shoot and worlds better then a phone. The next step gets you a ton of features you don't have now. Are you invested in any lenses besides the 18-55 and perhaps the 2 lens kit 75-300? If not then The best value and an awesome camera would be the Olympus E-M10 Mark 3. It has everything the Canon has Plus
Built in 5 axis Image stabilization
4 K video
Microphone Jack
Smaller, Better in low light
Mirrorless so much faster focusing for pictures and better tracking for video

Happy to discuss with you

Call me at 516-217-1000. I am at the store M-F from 8-6, Saturday 10-5:30

Joel

Wapiti1

WKR
Quick question. Do you have any other lenses for the Canon? If so, keep in mind that you would need to replace them by going to a different brand.

Jeremy

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
Thats part of it too, I haven't bought any extra lenses or anything so before I started dumping more money into this, I wanted to see if I should just invest in a better all-around camera and then lenses.

Most photographers on the hunting forums want and need a weatherproof camera. To stay with Canon that would mean a full frame, very expensive as you would need L series lenses to have everything weatherproof, and your crop sensor camera. That means that a 24-105 lens on the better camera acts as the 24-105, on your camera it acts like a 36-157, so much less wide angle.
Now is the time to switch to something designed for the environment you will be shooting in, before you invest in glass

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
UPDATE: I sold the Rebel T6 and picked up a Sony a6100 with Smallrig cold shoe relocation for my shotgun mic and extra batteries with a charger.