Canvas wall tent

I’m looking at buying a wall tent and I was curious about the pros and cons of the cotton canvas versus the newer polyester canvas like the elk mtn. Tents. If anybody has one of the polyester tents is there any cons compared to the cotton canvas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's what I can tell you about Army Duck Cotton Canvas - used by all of the top tent manufacturers.

Army Duck is highly water repellent, but at the same time very breathable. Moisture that would typically build up a synthetic tent will pass freely through the fibers, resulting in a comfortable living environment at all times. When it rains, the fibers of 100% Cotton Army Duck will swell, making your tent more water repellent. There's a reason all the top manufacturers use this material.

There are a few different Poly-Cotton Blends out there, but the one I am most familiar with is a 65% Poly / 35% cotton blend. We use this mostly in our "Glamping" tents as it is easier to clean than canvas, will stay a bright white longer than traditional canvas, and is less likely to get mold or mildew in high moisture environments. Most of the tents we do for glampers the South use this material for for their setups - our hunters still prefer Cotton Canvas. As this material is mostly synthetic, it does not swell like Cotton Canvas will, which can result in leaks within your tent - especially along the seams where there are 1,000's of needle holes. If you are to go this direction, I would get a tarp to cover your roof to make sure you don't have any water issues.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the mt canvas tent with relite walls...canvas top for more waterproof and relite walls to make it lighter....the relite is not as durable but dries much better and much lighter...this tent going on 14 yrs and will last me a lifetime269C4761-2DB7-45DF-935C-15732C59898B.jpeg