Carnivore Diet

I got my blood work done after 4 weeks of starting carnivore, but I had also cheated for 8 days on vacation. BP (1st #) was lower than its ever been. I was 120/78. Typically in the 128-130 range. So not huge difference, but I noticed it. Rest of my blood work showed was good, cholesterol was at the point where doc wanted to give me something. I said no. It has been there for 15 years. My resting heart rate has dropped 13 bpm, which with the lower BP tells me the cholesterol is not clogging my arteries. Not sure if that is true, but I don't understand how it makes the reverse true? Doc wants to do blood work again in 90 days. She also was accepting of the carnivore diet, which was nice. Not always the case.
you're just asking your doc out of the blue for basic blood tests? or you have some sort of condition?

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Went in for annual checkup. First time with this Dr, so I met with her and then she took blood afterwards. They called with results. Going forward I will give it prior to appointment.

bdan68

WKR
You can order your own lab tests whenever you want. My doctor would never order the tests I wanted done so I started ordering my own. I've been doing this for three years and have the same tests done about every 6 months.

khuber84

WKR
You can order your own lab tests whenever you want. My doctor would never order the tests I wanted done so I started ordering my own.

Privatemdlabs.com also a good one! Been using it 2x a year for last 15 years, I'm very anti PhD doctor. I personally feel naturalpath and chiropractors are more in tune with general wellness and healthy body function VS pharma sponsored docs at the local billion $$$ chain hospital.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Been Carnivore since mid December. I stopped snoring in 3 days. I had pizza on Friday evening, 3-4 slices, and snored away that night. Right back to Carnivore Saturday. Crazy some of the things I react to that I didn't pay attention to before.

@Sherman how's it going?

In 2019 did keto for about 9 months, lost 35-40# and was in the best shape I had been since Iraq in '03-'04, then covid started early 2020 and have done nothing since, found cancer Feb 2022 and just been dealing with treatments. Which we do blood 2x a month, so that is already tracked.
Recently seen the S2H you tube cast where they talked about carnivore with Ryan Lampert and got motivated again. I was at about the heaviest I have been and just drained, down and foggy.
Started Monday and will be following along on here with the great info and inspiring stories.

Last edited:
I've done Carnivore for 3 years in a row during January for a month each except for this last year, love the way I feel and how my body reacts to it, but its hard to maintain as a lifestyle.

Currently I'm the heaviest i've been (250) which is 30lbs over weight from normal. I'm getting headaches, high blood pressure, and bloated all the time.

I'm contemplating on giving this a go again for a longer duration.

03mossy

WKR
Good luck @sportsmans challenge !

I tried Carnivore last summer for a week. Felt amazing but stopped due to pushback from my wife and oldest daughter. I continued to learn as much as I could about it through last fall and this winter. Even read Dr. Bakers book and for me, that's huge because I am not a reader. For me, the main thing I was trying to fix was inflammation in my back and just overall feeling like garbage. I have had 2 spine surgeries and about a dozen injections in the past two years. I figured losing some weight and getting rid of inflammation may help. Started Carnivore again on Jan 22nd. I've had a few cheat meals but can always tell right after and especially the next day. Had pizza last week one night and my back pain shot up the next day. I am only down 10 lbs but have lost a bunch of inches around my waist. I'm in 3 notches on my belt. I feel way stronger and for the past month, I can work out regularly again, which feels amazing. The back pain is still there but it's getting better. One of the best effects of carnivore I have experienced is the brain fog is gone. My brain just feels like it's working at super speeds compared to before. A couple of the other bonuses I didn't expect is I haven't gotten sick the entire time. I have 4 kids and as any parent knows during the winter it's a revolving door of bugs they bring home. There was a stretch where a bad cold/flu kept jumping around the house from person to person and I never got it. May just be a coincidence but I don't think so. The last good side effect is my nerves seem better. I've always been a figity person and chewed my nails without even knowing it. Now for the first time in my entire life I have nails and actually need to learn out to clip them.

Whoever is reading this thread and is on the fence about doing Carnivore just go for it. Its well worth it. I was set on just trying 90 days but pretty sure I will keep going after.

Any of you guys measuring keytones or glucose while you are doing carnivore? I have been on just over two weeks now with not a lot of change yet, but also low keytones (.3 to.6) and glucose I tried last night was 86.

My testing strips and test fluid is old, way past expiration, but I figured I would be higher in keytones with just butter, meat, pork rinds, broth and occasional whole milk.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys measuring keytones or glucose while you are doing carnivore? I have been on just over two weeks now with not a lot of change yet, but also low keytones (.3 to.6) and glucose I tried last night was 86.

My testing strips and test fluid is old, way past expiration, but I figured I would be higher in keytones with just butter, meat, pork rinds, broth and occasional whole milk.
I haven't, kinda wish I would have seen how they have changed. 2 weeks is quick, are you fasting at all with the diet? I know I had substantial changes (weight wise) when I had worked my way to a 20 + hour fast.

I haven't, kinda wish I would have seen how they have changed. 2 weeks is quick, are you fasting at all with the diet? I know I had substantial changes (weight wise) when I had worked my way to a 20 + hour fast.
I have done 18 to 20 hour fasts a few times through, mostly just intermittent 12 to 18 hours or so during the 2 weeks.

nantzh

FNG

I have been pretty strict carnivore since Jan 2023. I never measured glucose or keytones. If you are not eating any carbs then your body is almost certainly making keytones for energy. It took me probably a month before I felt that I was fully fat adapted, aka great energy for workouts. So maybe you are still in the process of adapting. But overall I would go by how your feel vs whatever a keytone strip stated.

Also, for the first 6 months I had no dairy and that is when I lost 60ish pounds. Once i started on dairy my weight has been roughly the same. You might try to kick the dairy for a few weeks and see if that changes anything.

I have been pretty strict carnivore since Jan 2023. I never measured glucose or keytones. If you are not eating any carbs then your body is almost certainly making keytones for energy. It took me probably a month before I felt that I was fully fat adapted, aka great energy for workouts. So maybe you are still in the process of adapting. But overall I would go by how your feel vs whatever a keytone strip stated.

Also, for the first 6 months I had no dairy and that is when I lost 60ish pounds. Once i started on dairy my weight has been roughly the same. You might try to kick the dairy for a few weeks and see if that changes anything.
I am planning to quit the coffee, milk, cream and try to just stick to the meat, water, salt/ electrolytes.

mcase308

FNG
I don't but my buddy does and same thing happened to him, lost weight and felt better. I will say that he told me that his Dr told him he should probably eat a vegetable once in a while...lol, but so far no health issues.

bdan68

WKR

I used to measure ketones, and I'd usually be fairly low- in the 0.1 to 0.5 range. To get higher than that it would take either fasting for at least 24 hours, or a good 3 to 4 mile hike would also bump up my ketones, usually into the 2.5 to 3.0 range.

nantzh

FNG
I am planning to quit the coffee, milk, cream and try to just stick to the meat, water, salt/ electrolytes.
I did the lion diet all of February this year. Was very strict on water, salt, beef and venison. I didn't not notice a huge differences and have since added back in butter and coffee.
I plan to cycle lion diet months a couple times a year going forward.