Carry pack weight after appendectomy

dgilling

FNG
I just had a larthoscopic appendectomy. I was 2 days away from bear hunting. šŸ„¹ Iā€™m curious if anyone has had one and how long till they were back to carrying a 90lb pack? Iā€™m worried about September hunts. I should be good for that time frame right? The doctor gave me some confusing information.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same situation 2 years ago for a black hills mule deer hunt. Surgery on Thursday and left on Saturday and was archery hunting by Wednesday. The doctor told me not to go and not to pull my bow back for 3 months but I felt like I knew my body well enough. My pack was more like 40 pounds and I actually felt better with it on. Youā€™ll be fine.

Typical instructions are no lifting anything over 10-20# for 1-2 weeks (depends on the doctor). I have read that the necessity of that rule isn't totally backed up in studies, but I would't take my chances without talking to my Doctor. Last thing you want is to give yourself a hernia. You should be gtg for normal activities in a couple of weeks.

It's not common, but you do get some people that develop infections afterwards, I don't know that I would want to be backcountry in the next few days following my surgery. Particularly if your appendix was perforated. Maybe it would be fine, but It would really suck to be 10 miles back, give yourself a hernia, and develop an infection.

Source: am nurse on post-op floor

Marble

WKR
I just had a larthoscopic appendectomy. I was 2 days away from bear hunting. šŸ„¹ Iā€™m curious if anyone has had one and how long till they were back to carrying a 90lb pack? Iā€™m worried about September hunts. I should be good for that time frame right? The doctor gave me some confusing information.
I have a colostomy from Colon cancer, had it for 10 years. Doesn't bother me a damn bit. I've carried packs well over 100 pounds several times. You should be fine.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
D

dgilling

FNG
Typical instructions are no lifting anything over 10-20# for 1-2 weeks (depends on the doctor). I have read that the necessity of that rule isn't totally backed up in studies, but I would't take my chances without talking to my Doctor. Last thing you want is to give yourself a hernia. You should be gtg for normal activities in a couple of weeks.

It's not common, but you do get some people that develop infections afterwards, I don't know that I would want to be backcountry in the next few days following my surgery. Particularly if your appendix was perforated. Maybe it would be fine, but It would really suck to be 10 miles back, give yourself a hernia, and develop an infection.

Source: am nurse on post-op floor
Yeah the doctor gave me the ā€œ2weeks donā€™t lift anythingā€ but I specifically asked am I good to lift a 90lb pack after two weeks. Then she gave me something like it takes a year to fully develop scar tissue.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll take the safe route and skip spring bear even though itā€™s my favorite. Iā€™ve had way too many injuries in my life to add issues.

D S 319

WKR
Iā€™m almost crazy enough to try that but Iā€™ve had a ton of injuries in my day so just donā€™t want to risk it.
You can always just carry a bit less! Just make the best decision for you.

Yeah the doctor gave me the ā€œ2weeks donā€™t lift anythingā€ but I specifically asked am I good to lift a 90lb pack after two weeks. Then she gave me something like it takes a year to fully develop scar tissue.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll take the safe route and skip spring bear even though itā€™s my favorite. Iā€™ve had way too many injuries in my life to add issues.
If your body feels well enough to go, id consider. Tomorrow isnā€™t promised so next season is a joke if you are putting it off.

Iā€™m not being careless when I say that. Iā€™ve missed more hunting due to ā€œlifeā€ than I care to recite. Iā€™d love to have just a bit of back. My advice is go while you can. Good luck if you do and God Bless on the healing.

Assuming you donā€™t having any surgical complications, you will be fine. 6 weeks is plenty of time to fully heal.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I had one several years ago and was im the couch for about a week. Day 2 I was trying to figure out if it was worth the discomfort to get up and go to the bathroom (bathroom won). However, I was pretty sick by the time I got to surgery. I was back in the gym lifting at about 6 weeks I think. Back at work in 2. Iā€™m sure individuals recover at different rates though .

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I had mine removed laparoscopically (3 small incisions). I would not count on a pack this fall. Realistically, 6 weeks downtime, then 4 weeks restricted movement/weight. That puts you at start of Mid July or Early August to actually workout.

You have to remember to get to your appendix, they have to puncture your abdominal wall. So for the next 6 weeks you are extremely prone to hernia's. I couldn't even lay on my side for a few weeks. I was a prime athlete when I got mine out. 60+ setups a minute, volleyball, 365# squat. A year post op, I remember doing a sit up test and almost cried when I only did 14.

I had mine removed at 20 years old, and it was not a fast recovery.

mjh

FNG
Follow DR's orders. I was told 30 days no heavy lifting. I mean don't even roll the garbage bin to the street for pick up. Had to have groceries distributed to many bags. Spouse called in my parents for help as she was off to the south of France for a week. That being said I didn't sit on the couch for 30 days. I was walking the day after I got home. Just down to the corner and back--3 times a day for a couple of days by then end of the week I was again walking my son to and from school 6 blocks or so away. After the first 10 days, I was pretty back to a normal routine except for the heavy lifting.

Day 32 after surgery I was hauling in my turkey blind, chair and decoys into the river bottom lands to set up, I used a pack frame, I'm sure it was over any weight limit the DR gave.