Carrying child in hunting pack

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum! I’ve been mostly a whitetail hunter my whole life but last year went on my first trip out west elk hunting. My question is not around hunting but around how I can train using my MR Metcalf (pre 2024 model) to carry my 2 year old instead of using a child carrier. Has anyone modified a hunting frame pack to equip it in a way for the child to be comfortable to carry them on your back to hike?

Thanks for the help!

atmat

WKR

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just use a child carrier?

If you don’t have one you can usually find them pretty reasonably on fb marketplace.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely!
Your kids most comfortable onesie, favorite blanket & stuffed animal, fresh diaper w/ spares, head and face protection (especially if you will be in the timber.) Couple pro tips; Do not use the sling, throw and jump method of getting the pack on/off your shoulders. use tail gate, picnic table, etc.. Line pack with contractor bag, you don't want to mess up a perfectly good pack! Last but not least, do not forget he/she is in your pack.

Happy Easter!

lak2004

WKR

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I used my k3 to take my son pheasant hunting all the time until he was old enough to walk. Worked great and he had a Birds Eye view right over my shoulder.

Because kid carriers are garbage and uncomfortable for very long/far in my opinion.

Garbage might be an overstatement but they tend to have a lot less comfort built into them than our Exo, Kifaru, IA, or SG bags. I think one bag manufacturer rep told me that they don't want to have to go through all the certifications to slap "child carrier" on their bags. That said, my 3 Y.O. has room to spare in my Ma Deuce. she can spin herself around to look forward to where I'm walking to or just face rearwards

lak2004

WKR
Garbage might be an overstatement but they tend to have a lot less comfort built into them than our Exo, Kifaru, IA, or SG bags. I think one bag manufacturer rep told me that they don't want to have to go through all the certifications to slap "child carrier" on their bags. That said, my 3 Y.O. has room to spare in my Ma Deuce. she can spin herself around to look forward to where I'm walking to or just face rearwards
Alright, you got me there. But I've used the osprey and deuter and neither are very great after about 2 miles. I'd rather carry my kids on my shoulders than in the carrier. Thankfully, both of mine are old enough to walk a ways now.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
My child carrier is so old I can’t even remember the brand. I bought it used, so it might be 15 years old…

It’s not the most comfortable pack to wear, but the OP wanted it for training. I’ll do 4-5 mile hikes pretty regularly through the summer with that pack and even though my shoulders get a little sore, my kids have always been comfortable the whole time. It has a rain fly, stirrups for their legs, and a 5 point harness so they remain held up when they fall asleep. The seat is adjustable to keep their legs 90 degrees and it has an adjustable lid for shade. Maybe it’s just my kids but I can’t imagine going for a 2 hour hike, making my kid stand in a backpack, and not have the whole thing end with a toddler meltdown because they want out. 😂

I know its redundant but I would always just strap the osprey poco child carrier to my kifaru frame with a grab-it and a couple lash straps when my daughter was small enough. We went on hikes all over Glacier N.P. like that an it was rock solid and super comfortable. Best of both worlds IMO.

Any pictures of that setup?? Were you using just a grab it or was there a bag attached to the frame and the grab it attached to the bag?

ChrisD

FNG
I love this. I bought a frontier gear of AK pack for a fall sheep hunt about 15 yrs ago. I also hated the child carriers and was exited to train and get used to the new pack. I was able to fit my 3 and 4 year old in it, for short hikes up a local trail. I found that their age, coupled with squirt guns and lots M&M’s made these training hikes pretty fun and memorable. The pack worked great, and I get sore now just thinking of that weight. I was in much better shape then.

Any pictures of that setup?? Were you using just a grab it or was there a bag attached to the frame and the grab it attached to the bag?
Unfortunately, my old phone took a swim after I took pictures of everything laid out so I'm limited on photos. I left my hunting bag with on the frame and added a couple buckles to support the grab-it running up high. I made sure to run these straps underneath the support frame on the child carrier (tight to where the pocket on the lower end would be) in an effort to cradle it. Then, I ran a guide lid strap from one side of the frame to the other up high to keep the top from separating from the frame. Sorry if this is unclear, I will be purchasing another carrier soon and can get you pictures then. This setup worked great for my family because it allowed me to carry my daughter in the same comfort I would carrying any pack in hunting season and I also could take the child carrier off in about 10 seconds if my wife wanted to use it to take her for a walk around town. No need to keep adjusting packs, set both to your own specs and leave them alone.
f1cd702e170fe98c2ed639f63cde6c0d.jpg

2013576b2825bd996149ea57d3a6f5c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcvelo

FNG
I logged hundreds of miles with my kids in the Osprey kid carrier. It was really well designed and purchased and sold on craiglist 5 years later for basically the same cost. The sun shade was great and the pack rode pretty well while keeping the kids anchored nicely

Unfortunately, my old phone took a swim after I took pictures of everything laid out so I'm limited on photos. I left my hunting bag with on the frame and added a couple buckles to support the grab-it running up high. I made sure to run these straps underneath the support frame on the child carrier (tight to where the pocket on the lower end would be) in an effort to cradle it. Then, I ran a guide lid strap from one side of the frame to the other up high to keep the top from separating from the frame. Sorry if this is unclear, I will be purchasing another carrier soon and can get you pictures then. This setup worked great for my family because it allowed me to carry my daughter in the same comfort I would carrying any pack in hunting season and I also could take the child carrier off in about 10 seconds if my wife wanted to use it to take her for a walk around town. No need to keep adjusting packs, set both to your own specs and leave them alone.

I strapped up our Kelty with my grab it last night a used a cinch strap to hold the carrier against my bag. Seemed to be comfortable enough I'm tempted to see if using the meat shelf might work better. However that might compress the carrier too much making for an uncomfortable carry for the child.. I'll find out tomorrow