Challenge Ultra Fabric Sources?

Does anyone know of a source for Challenge Ultra fabric in any earth tone colors?

Ripstop by the Roll is the only retail source I'm aware of, and their colors (looking at Ultra 200) are black, gray, silver, and white.

I'm dying to test this stuff out, but if I'm going to spend the sort of money it costs ($48-56/yd), I'd really like it to be in the color I like. I'm also not keen on walking through the desert looking like a gray Coues whitetail....

sndmn11

WKR
I think the black is more of a dark carbon gray than black; it looks good.

The gravel gray is probably the most woodsy but might be too deer colored for some folk's preferences.

OP
I think the black is more of a dark carbon gray than black; it looks good.

The gravel gray is probably the most woodsy but might be too deer colored for some folk's preferences.

I do like the 200 "grey" it's really more of an earth tone dark tan than a grey in my opinion
Good info! I may have to order a sample of the gray. I'll probably steer away from the black/carbon gray since the sun here can be pretty hot and brutal with clear skies, heat, and elevation.

I messaged Ripstop by the Roll to see what sort of custom order options are or aren't available for the fabric and what the volume requirements are.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Thanks, I'll do that. Have you ordered from them before?

I have not. But I have made contact and gotten everything lined up to pull the trigger…need to move some product and get rid of some other materials before I buy a pile of challenge.

I LOVE their ecopak. Affordable, sustainable, recycled fabric. It’s essentially a more eco friendly Xpac that you can tape. I love it. You can check that stuff out at RSTR. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I have not. But I have made contact and gotten everything lined up to pull the trigger…need to move some product and get rid of some other materials before I buy a pile of challenge.

I LOVE their ecopak. Affordable, sustainable, recycled fabric. It’s essentially a more eco friendly Xpac that you can tape. I love it. You can check that stuff out at RSTR. Highly recommend.

Good info, I may give that one a try, Ripstop by the Roll sidestepped my questions on Ultra and directed me to Ecopak. Challenge said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything since.

OP
Let us know how it turns out and if the juice is worth the squeeze.
For sure! I’m currently working on a new bino harness for myself, that’s keeping me occupied. Couple more personal projects after that, then I’ll look at Challenge Ultra very seriously.

OP

I got a bunch of samples today from Ripstop by the Roll. That Ecopak EPLX400 in CB is pretty nice looking fabric, but the Challenge Ultra 200 is extremely impressive with its weight and feel. I've heard really good things about its durability and resistance to delaminating. I may leave this sample on my desk for a while and crumple it while I work--see how long it takes to delaminate.

The other Challenge Ultra samples were equally impressive.

I also got a sample of the Venom Ultralight Stretch fabric that feels promising. I'm not a huge fan of the black fabric, but unlike Tweave, it's available.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I got a bunch of samples today from Ripstop by the Roll. That Ecopak EPLX400 in CB is pretty nice looking fabric, but the Challenge Ultra 200 is extremely impressive with its weight and feel. I've heard really good things about its durability and resistance to delaminating. I may leave this sample on my desk for a while and crumple it while I work--see how long it takes to delaminate.

The other Challenge Ultra samples were equally impressive.

I also got a sample of the Venom Ultralight Stretch fabric that feels promising. I'm not a huge fan of the black fabric, but unlike Tweave, it's available.

I have some venom. I haven’t figured out how to sew it without it puckering on me. If you have extensive experience with stretch fabrics, I’d LOVE to hear any tips or tricks. I might need to try WAY less tension. But when sewing it to cordura or ecopak I haven’t been able to find the sweet spot.

OP
I have some venom. I haven’t figured out how to sew it without it puckering on me. If you have extensive experience with stretch fabrics, I’d LOVE to hear any tips or tricks. I might need to try WAY less tension. But when sewing it to cordura or ecopak I haven’t been able to find the sweet spot.

I wouldn’t say I have extensive experience, but I’m getting better. Besides tension, if you haven’t played with it already, try tweaking your presser foot pressure and lightening it up. A needle on the small size seems to help a little, and with light fabrics in general, a feed dog with a smaller needle hole and more support is also helpful.

OP
Were you able to play around with the challenge ultra yet?
Not yet, but I'm hoping to find some time this summer. The sample is still sitting on my work desk, and has yet to delaminate during my very unscientific testing consisting of crumpling, folding, and stretching whenever I remember to.