Cheap Hunting Pants

Another vote for the Eddie Bauer Guide pants. I have three pair (green for hunting, grey for summer hiking/scouting/cross country skiing, khaki for around town). I see mentions of durability issues. I've ran all three pair hard for four years, and just this spring turkey hunting put my first hole in one. Will likely test the warranty to see if they will replace, but even if they don't I would say each purchase has been well worth the cost (~$50 on sale). Definitely quiet enough for bow hunting, arrowed two mulie bucks this past fall stalking into 30 yards and they never knew i was there (despite the EB's not being fancy camo...Gasp!). Also have four pairs of the Costco Rainier's (their $20 version) for wear around town, and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt in these either. Slightly less stretch than the EB's but a solid pant none-the-less. The Costco pants only have one zippered cargo pocket (EB's have two), but both back pockets on the Costco zipper which can be nice (none of the back pockets on the EB's zip). As an aside, the Costco's are my go-to travel pants. Phone, wallet, and passport all have their own dedicated, zippered pocket to prevent theft and make the quick, "do i have everything?" check post-security line very easy.

My vote goes for the Eddie Bauer Guide Chino's. I have huge thighs and they fit me better than any other pants I have ever tried. I give up the bigger thigh cargo pocket but still have a small one for my knife or headlamp. My son wears the other Guide pants with the larger cargo pocket and he echo's my feelings as they are the most comfortable pants ever. They are regularly on sale for about 40-45 bucks and have 4 way stretch. The only thing they don't offer is camo. I am ok with that. I have the Green, Charcoal and Tan. Love them all!

I wish Eddie Bauer would add a few more belt loops. My attack pants have about the right number and configuration of belt loops. I find most brands lack in that department. They are outdoor pants make them fit up to a 2” belt and don’t put a loop where my holster goes? Why why why ??

I wish Eddie Bauer would add a few more belt loops. My attack pants have about the right number and configuration of belt loops. I find most brands lack in that department. They are outdoor pants make them fit up to a 2” belt and don’t put a loop where my holster goes? Why why why ??

I added 1 loop right above each back pocket. I just used some 1" grossgrain because I don't care what it looks like. Wouldn't be too hard to relocate the existing ones and add a couple while you were at it as long as you don't care about the new ones not matching.

I didn't read the whole thread, but those Wrangler pants you can get at Wally World are pretty much a direct copy of the EB Guides. The waist band uses a somewhat thick elastic, the material is a little thicker and not as soft and the thigh pockets are about an inch less in depth. They run a tad small in waist size on the 1 pair I have, not sure if it's an across the board thing or not. For $25 bucks they are a steal of a deal, though I'll admit the EB's are a little more comfortable IMO.

I added 1 loop right above each back pocket. I just used some 1" grossgrain because I don't care what it looks like. Wouldn't be too hard to relocate the existing ones and add a couple while you were at it as long as you don't care about the new ones not matching.

I didn't read the whole thread, but those Wrangler pants you can get at Wally World are pretty much a direct copy of the EB Guides. The waist band uses a somewhat thick elastic, the material is a little thicker and not as soft and the thigh pockets are about an inch less in depth. They run a tad small in waist size on the 1 pair I have, not sure if it's an across the board thing or not. For $25 bucks they are a steal of a deal, though I'll admit the EB's are a little more comfortable IMO.
That’s a good idea. I sometimes miss the obvious. Thanks

FlyGuy

WKR
EB memorial day sale = 50% off with the code: HONOR50. Makes the guide pants $35. Free shipping over $99. I picked up 3 more pair. I like them over the pranas.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
EB memorial day sale = 50% off with the code: HONOR50. Makes the guide pants $35. Free shipping over $99. I picked up 3 more pair. I like them over the pranas.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just picked up three pair myself! Been wanting to try these out, can't beat 50% off!

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
Carhartt twill dunagrees for me. Spray them down with camp dry as needed. Super quiet. And durable. Haven't found a " "hunting"pant I'm in love with to replace my Carhartts yet.
If I'm backpacking, it's usually the Zions that get the nod

That said I really want to try the carhartts force extreme pants. Sierra usually runs a deal on Carhartt factory seconds as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Go middle of the road and check out Tru Spec Adventure pants. Mine will be in soon. Will post review when I get to it.

Rokwiia

WKR
I went to an Eddie Bauer store and tried on the Pro Guide pant. Didn't like the fit.

I've been using Kuhl Renegades and the Pro Guide pant rode low on me. The distance between the top of the pant and the bottom of the crotch is longer with the Kuhl. When I would lift a leg as though I were walking over blow down, the Pro Guide pant it would pull down on the waist every so slightly.

It's like shoes; what fits some people like a glove doesn't work for others.

I went to an Eddie Bauer store and tried on the Pro Guide pant. Didn't like the fit.

I've been using Kuhl Renegades and the Pro Guide pant rode low on me. The distance between the top of the pant and the bottom of the crotch is longer with the Kuhl. When I would lift a leg as though I were walking over blow down, the Pro Guide pant it would pull down on the waist every so slightly.

It's like shoes; what fits some people like a glove doesn't work for others.

The pro guide is a slim cut. The guide chino is a looser cut. I have huge thighs and they are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not too proud to admit I may have been wrong. Just picked up a pair of the Wrangler 4-way stretch pants at Target for $17.48 (they had them discounted).

Wrangler(R) Men'''s Outdoor Stretch Nylon Utility Pants : Target

I haven't had them out on the trail yet but they are very comfortable walking in them at home. Compared to the Sitka Ascent, which I've been eyeballing, the Wrangler's stitching is amateurish, it has only one pocket with a zip, and no camo.

That said, they are $17 compared to $189. Including sales tax, that's a $185 savings on one pair of pants.

In order to be a reformed believer, they need to be put through the wringer in the woods. If they pass that test, then I'll eat my words. I'll keep you posted.

Eddie Bauer has a father's day sale going on right now. 40% off everything. Just picked up a pair of Guide and a pair of Chino pants for work for 100 bucks.