Cheap Titanium Stove

Huntin_GI

WKR

I’ve been watching these on AliExpress for sometime. Typically they were around 300$. This one popped up in my search today and it’s less than half the price.

With shipping this thing came out to 156$.

All the reviews indicate that it’s legit. Same design as the SeekOutside stoves. I also ordered a spark arrestor for the top of the pipe for a few more dollars.

If you’ve been on the fence about a stove, this one comes in at around 4lbs all packed away. Same size as the SO Large.

qmalone64

FNG
Can you update / review when it arrives? Curious how it turns out. Bought fishing lures off there a long time ago and they were decent quality. Hardware on them was cheap but baits were nice (crankbaits and jerkbaits)

Mike7

WKR
I had to make my own franken stoves in the past from parts from different manufactures, because they all had good parts and others which sucked in practice...especially when used with bad wood gathered from a backpacking site.

A couple of things to consider:

The stoves with the damper in the door allow for loading larger wood pieces (e.g. Liteoutdoors seems to have a good damper design).

I have ultimately had significant very annoying if not dangerous sometimes complications with every single spark arrestor that I have tried, except for with using a stovepipe damper at the bottom of the stovepipe that I have drilled holes in to make it an arrestor.

This arrestor then can be turned open, dropping the ash back into the fire at any time right from your sleeping bag. I have never had any problems with the stovepipe top left open, but always have at least 18" plus pipe sticking out the shelter top. With bad wood and weather, arrestors at the top of these small ultralight pipes can be a real problem.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I had to make my own franken stoves in the past from parts from different manufactures, because they all had good parts and others which sucked in practice...especially when used with bad wood gathered from a backpacking site.

A couple of things to consider:

The stoves with the damper in the door allow for loading larger wood pieces (e.g. Liteoutdoors seems to have a good damper design).

I have ultimately had significant very annoying if not dangerous sometimes complications with every single spark arrestor that I have tried, except for with using a stovepipe damper at the bottom of the stovepipe that I have drilled holes in to make it an arrestor.

This arrestor then can be turned open, dropping the ash back into the fire at any time right from your sleeping bag. I have never had any problems with the stovepipe top left open, but always have at least 18" plus pipe sticking out the shelter top. With bad wood and weather, arrestors at the top of these small ultralight pipes can be a real problem.
I ordered an arrestor. I should be right at 18 inches from the top of my tent. The arrestor has a solid top and long grooves along the body. Again, for the price, if it's not perfect, I can reattack.

Are any of you all running guy lines off the top the the stove pipe to help stabilize it?

Mike7

WKR
Yeah, if the top arrestor plugs up, then you can modify it, or remove it and change the lower pipe damper into an arrestor.

I have never found the pipe stabilizer lines to be much help, especially with a good taught tent, since the lines don't really hold the pipe down. If the pipe is attached well down at the bottom/stove, then it can swing around some at the stove jack/top without problems in heavy winds.

The lines are handy though for using the stove outside of a tent at the edge of a canopy for instance.

One thing you guys getting these light Ti stoves might find useful. When you do your initial burn-in, you'll find that they discolor where they get hot. If you have a propane weedburner handy, you can heat up the 'coldspots' with the burner. Not only does it make the color more uniform, it makes them less susceptible to warpage later on.....

IMG_2808_zps1bcxuqyr.jpg

IMG_2847_zpspwl94hav.jpg

Mattys010

FNG
One thing you guys getting these light Ti stoves might find useful. When you do your initial burn-in, you'll find that they discolor where they get hot. If you have a propane weedburner handy, you can heat up the 'coldspots' with the burner. Not only does it make the color more uniform, it makes them less susceptible to warpage later on.....

IMG_2808_zps1bcxuqyr.jpg

IMG_2847_zpspwl94hav.jpg

What stove is that?

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Just arrived today. The unit total weight comes in 2lb 15oz on the stove and 9.5oz on the pipe with rings and clamp.

Seems to be exactly as ordered. Didn’t see any obvious manufacturer blemishes.

The dampener is a different design than the image but seems to be an improvement.

Carry bag is nice. Not included in weight.

Stove pipe wasn’t too hard to get rolled together.

I can’t get the photos to upload but will try again later. Will update after burn in.