Cheapest out of state Elk hunt

The demand for what you are looking for far exceeds the supply. Tons of people make the decision they want to go hunt elk and "have a good hunt". With zero points, that is a very challenging thing to do. Your best opportunity is to look into getting cow elk tags while you build points or go bust your tail in an OTC hunt. Don't go into it thinking cow elk will be easy- they are not unless everything comes together perfectly. You will still need to work hard and do your research.
Cows have kicked my butt 4 out of 5 seasons I've gone after them. In all 4 of those tag soup experiences, I could have shot a bull pretty easily. In some cases, very easily. But that's just my luck.

Lucky for me I'm there for the experience and don't really need the meat, so I still had a great time every year. Learned a ton. Saw awesome country. Got the solitude I was after. Those things are priceless to me.

Clothing is easy if you don’t get too caught up. Wrangler Outdoor pants are $30. Get at least one light weight wool shirt and boxers. Then you should have everything else. Truck camping is usually cheaper too.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
If you are considering it, and can afford it, start buying points now. Points are not that expensive and give you more options when you decide to go. I wish I would of started in the points game long before I did.

OP
C
The demand for what you are looking for far exceeds the supply. Tons of people make the decision they want to go hunt elk and "have a good hunt". With zero points, that is a very challenging thing to do. Your best opportunity is to look into getting cow elk tags while you build points or go bust your tail in an OTC hunt. Don't go into it thinking cow elk will be easy- they are not unless everything comes together perfectly. You will still need to work hard and do your research.

Honestly I would love the meat but the experiences are what I will cherish. My 10 year old son would like to go eventually but both of us would need to get into much better shape to be spot and stalking elk. I’m not in terrible shape but I am no where near where I would need to be to keep up for a week straight of collecting miles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Clothing is easy if you don’t get too caught up. Wrangler Outdoor pants are $30. Get at least one light weight wool shirt and boxers. Then you should have everything else. Truck camping is usually cheaper too.

Yea. The clothing I have currently is great for tree standing hunting. I would die hiking in it

WY type 6 cow tags are pretty cheap, but you’d have to find a leftover at this point since you’re past the draw deadline. I know there’s not much leftover these days so it might be tough. Something to keep in mind for next year.

OP
C
If you are considering it, and can afford it, start buying points now. Points are not that expensive and give you more options when you decide to go. I wish I would of started in the points game long before I did.

I will need to look into buying points if that’s going to be the quickest method

Laramie

WKR
I will need to look into buying points if that’s going to be the quickest method

Not sure quickest is the term to use. You can only buy one a year. Takes several years of points in most states to draw an average hunt. 20+ years to draw great hunts. For people just starting out, the best hunts will really be one in a lifetime if you choose to hold out for them.

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
WY type 6 cow tags are pretty cheap, but you’d have to find a leftover at this point since you’re past the draw deadline. I know there’s not much leftover these days so it might be tough. Something to keep in mind for next year.
Great suggestion right here.
If you do some research, you’ll find leftover cow/calf tags at reduced cost. The hunts start around October and can go through the end of January.
Focus on access, late season elk activity, plan for cold and you’ll easily get your cow elk hunt for less than $1,000.
Also, good advice from several members to start building points, I’d focus on states with more opportunity, like Wyoming or Colorado. You can buy a pref point for Wyoming this fall and Colorado draw deadline is April 6 or 7.
Good luck!

OP
C

At this point it will probably need to be next year before I actually hunt but thinking it would be good to familiarize myself with the area this year

OP
C
Pick a weekend this summer and fly on out to Denver. I’ll pick you up and we will do a scouting trip in an OTC unit.

If you still want to hunt elk in September after hiking around and it works out personality wise we will talk more after (y)

I really appreciate that. I’m going to have to take you up on that. Might just drive up since it’s not a terrible drive to Colorado

New to the site and loving it already. I'm also in Iowa, and my brother and I are going on a once in a lifetime trip to MT in September. For this hunt the cost is high, but we lost our older brother 2 years ago and decided to stop talking about going west and just did it. We are going all in on an 8 day pack in hunt in the "Bob" with elk/deer combo tags. I'm also going to get a black bear tag to maximize my odds of bringing home an animal.

In the future I will be looking into DIY or similar less expensive hunts, and it is really cool to see guys on here that are willing to sacrifice their own time to mentor folks from out of state.