Checking in from AK

Been lurking for awhile while getting set up for my first backpack hunt in Alaska this year. Been hunting California the past four years on public land so I'm looking forward to the opportunities that AK has to offer, as well as getting into the backpacking scene. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to draw an any moose tag in the Yanert CUA so that is my goals for this year. Packing a moose 3-5 miles seems like the perfect way to jump into the craziness of this lifestyle. Anyway, thanks for all the info already and look forward to absorbing as much knowledge as possible and hopefully soon be able to share some stories myself
- Justin

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin welcome. Packing a moose any distance doesn't sound like fun those are some huge beasts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Been lurking for awhile while getting set up for my first backpack hunt in Alaska this year. Been hunting California the past four years on public land so I'm looking forward to the opportunities that AK has to offer, as well as getting into the backpacking scene. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to draw an any moose tag in the Yanert CUA so that is my goals for this year. Packing a moose 3-5 miles seems like the perfect way to jump into the craziness of this lifestyle. Anyway, thanks for all the info already and look forward to absorbing as much knowledge as possible and hopefully soon be able to share some stories myself
- Justin

I don't know all the specifics to the YCUA moose hunt, as to whether or not you have to bring it out on the bone, including the ribs. The only controlled use area moose hunt that I'm familiar with, the Koyukuk CUA, it is required to bring it out on the bone.that said, I feel pretty safe in saying that, although I have never packed a moose out 3-5 miles, it's probably similar to getting Giardia. I think it's one of those things that after you've experienced it, you will do everything in your power never to experience it again.

Even the smaller adult Alaska–Yukon moose are pretty big critters with the average weighing around 1200 pounds on the hoof.

Last edited:
OP
J
Fortunately the bones don't have to stay with the rib meat but it will still be a bear of a hunt. I've recruited some real dumb friends to help with the pack if I am fortunate enough to actually bag one. I'll be out there the first 7-10 days of the season and have been conditioning pretty hard so I feel pretty confident. I'm also confident that after the hunt I probably won't apply for this tag again haha. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.