Christensen Arms Issue or Scope Issue

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a 3 inch group centered about 1.5 inches high.
My last several shots were dead on at 100 and the others 1.5 inch high. There was a shot on one of the smaller bullseye that’s cut out that was dead on also and that was my last shot. Which was crazy, after the first several being where they needed to be

TaperPin

WKR
Christensen chambers do not have a lot of slop, which is one reason they often shoot very good. It also means there isnt a lot of extra room for carbon buildup. One of the first things a custom barrel maker will ask if it stops shooting abruptly is how do you clean? Gone are the simple days of hoppys #9 and a patch. An inexpensive borescope is a good investment just to know you’re getting the carbon out.

A second scope to swap out would be nice to see if group size changes.

Sandstrom

WKR
My last several shots were dead on at 100 and the others 1.5 inch high. There was a shot on one of the smaller bullseye that’s cut out that was dead on also and that was my last shot. Which was crazy, after the first several being where they needed to be
A couple of thoughts.

1. I have asked twice, what you torqued all screws to, the only answer I have seen is “tight”. Do you have a in-lbs torque wrench? What you think is tight, might not be. If we have an actual measurement we will all be on the same page with trying to help you with your problem.
2. I am confused with your above statement. Are you zeroing at 100 or 200, or shooting at 100 with a 200 yard zero?
3. Whatever the answer is, it is so much better to zero at 100 (for so many reasons) and then set the dial to 200 for carrying around. You have a scope that dials, use it that way.
4. How are you shooting groups, bags and a bench, bipod and rear bag, off the hood? The Christensen’s I have shot and held have a fairly flimsy for end making it easy to induce flex, causing the stock to touch the barrel which can cause a poi shift.
5. Is the ammo you are using all from the same lot?
These questions/thoughts are nothing personal and are simply to get a better picture of what exactly is going on to better help you.
Ryan

Hott_Shot

FNG
I have had a somewhat similar issue with my ridgeline. Shoots great (1/2 moa) consistently, however I have had issues with my POI shifting vertically between shooting sessions. One day it’s right on, the next day, it might be shooting 1.5” high at 100 yards. Everything is torqued to spec, same shooting location and very similar conditions. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue, and also used a different scope on the rifle with the same result. At this point, I have determined that the issue is in the machining on the top of the action. When tightening my rail to spec, I believe it is pulling a slight warp into the rail. My understanding is that this puts the rail in a constant strain, which then puts the optic in a bind. I just finished bedding the rail to the action, which should resolve this problem. I’ll follow up and let you know if this does in fact fix the problem, if you’re interested!