Cimarron/Hot tent questions

After spending the past few general deer seasons in central Idaho freezing, I have decided to get a hot tent set up.
My first question is would the Cimarron with a stove be overkill for a solo backpack hunter? I know it can be tricky finding flat
spots to set up my current backpacking tent so I am a little worried about footprint size.
Next question is do you guys running stoves ditch your jetboil and just use a pan for heating water? Thanks in advance for
any comments on this subject.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I did a solo mnt goat hunt this year and used a cimarron for the first time. It was awesome. I don't have a stove yet, but can see it in my future. It was so nice coming back to a spacious tent and camp chair at the end of each day instead of crawling into a coffin of a bivy tent I used to have. Definitely not overkill.

Clarence

WKR
I still take my jetboil, but it mostly got used for making coffee while glassing. We have been doing most of our cooking in a pot over the stove though. Later season hunts, the nights are long. Couple extra minutes to boil water on the stove are not a big deal. It's going anyway, why not save fuel canisters?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gfreidy

WKR
Did you consider a Silver Tip? That might be the sweet spot for size.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
From experience silvertip great little tent for one little more difficult pitch with style...if you go the cimaron lite your weight will be equal or less than Silvertip....Cimarron much easier setup but bigger footprint and if need or want two plenty of room....I cook on the stove and ditch burners.D45E702D-E7FA-4221-9A43-6C0FC679C34B.jpeg6C04784B-2E7D-4598-99B4-989A42DCE155.jpegEE55F32D-CA9A-49D5-B9CB-8B1EDBADC699.jpeg

Skull10

WKR
From experience silvertip great little tent for one little more difficult pitch with style...if you go the cimaron lite your weight will be equal or less than Silvertip....Cimarron much easier setup but bigger footprint and if need or want two plenty of room....I cook on the stove and ditch burners.View attachment 132450View attachment 132448View attachment 132449
Ross,

Can you elaborate a little bit on the difference in difficulty setting up a Silvertip to a Cimmeron?

I had a Silvertip last year and struggled with the setup, kept getting a bad bell shape. I sold it and I went with a Luxe Minipeak XL. The pyrimid shape on this is so much easier to set up.

I have been eyeing the Cimmeron Lite to save weight and only need one zipper. Is the Cimmeron a pyramid design and easier to set up with out getting a bad bell shape?

Stickbow

FNG
From experience silvertip great little tent for one little more difficult pitch with style...if you go the cimaron lite your weight will be equal or less than Silvertip....Cimarron much easier setup but bigger footprint and if need or want two plenty of room....I cook on the stove and ditch burners.

Cool set up with the center pole. How do you measure the length to cut? Also any tips on cooking on top of the wood stove?
Ive always brought a canister stove personally.

OP- I use a Cim for solo trips, but if I were just doing an overnight, or moving every day I would bring just the Cim w/ hiking poles (instead of Cim, nest, pole, stove). I do like being able to spread my stuff out, and store wood inside.

I had a Silvertip and now have a Cimeron.I agree with everything Ross said.Plus if you are over 6' tall you will have a tough time keeping your head and feet from brushing against the Silvertip.
If you occasionally need a one man shelter with a small footprint get a DST tarp.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im short so I simply cut the tree at eye height which is about 62 inches thankfully my areas have lots of little pine trees everywhere and I know have four stashed in various locations I go. The Cimarron you simply stake out which would be the four corners throw in your pole then stack out the other 6 and typically little adjusting have done in 5 minutes the silvertip simply the design made it difficult to get pitch right and was always messing with liked just with the Cimarron lite like it much better and taller friends with tall tales also enjoy it. No bell shape problems with Cimarron. 5C961820-091A-4B96-9C0F-25D16FF05648.jpeg06772799-55B5-4461-9DFF-474BF0267E1C.jpegFor the stove top the rods let you place cups and small pots not super convenient but cut the weight and works fine if simply boiling water and dump into mountain house, coffee or warming up food.

Take a look at the Kifaru Super tarp with annex too. It uses your trekking poles for uprights and is huge for one person.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ross,

Can you elaborate a little bit on the difference in difficulty setting up a Silvertip to a Cimmeron?

I had a Silvertip last year and struggled with the setup, kept getting a bad bell shape. I sold it and I went with a Luxe Minipeak XL. The pyrimid shape on this is so much easier to set up.

I have been eyeing the Cimmeron Lite to save weight and only need one zipper. Is the Cimmeron a pyramid design and easier to set up with out getting a bad bell shape?

Really they're about the same. Both are based off a center rectangle. Doors are in the center of the rectangles, so to pitch just find a door and go over one seam and there's your corner. Stake it, stake another, go across and eyeball the 90 degree L, stake, then stake the 4th corner. Your center rectangle is done. Put in pole with some slack, fill in other stakes, then tension the whole thing with pole.

Key is to NOT stretch the fabric when you're doing the footprint. If you have a bell shape it's because you overstretched, making the footprint too big, and the pole isn't tall enough.

They're both very simple once you get the hang.

Stickbow

FNG
Thanks Ross. The other thing I do to heat water is lean a metal water bottle against the side of the stove. Works well for heating water at night to store in the bottom of your sleeping bag.

gfreidy

WKR
I had a Silvertip and now have a Cimeron.I agree with everything Ross said.Plus if you are over 6' tall you will have a tough time keeping your head and feet from brushing against the Silvertip.
If you occasionally need a one man shelter with a small footprint get a DST tarp.
I also have a DST...seems like the Cimarron and the DST would be a good combo. Was just looking for a 1P hot tent setup and might not be beneficial to own a Silver Tip AND a Cimarron.

When using stoves in the backcountry, what is the go-to method for chopping or sawing wood? Is everyone carrying in those small foldable saws?

I have been trying to find pictures/videos of how guys are packing the stoves/pipe/tarp into their packs. Does anyone have any pics showing the entirety of the stove/tent combo packed in their bag? I do mostly solo hunting and have been wanting to go the Cimarron route, but wanted to do a little more research before pulling the trigger.

Stickbow

FNG
No pics, but I have a reckoning, and put the tipi in the bottom since I dont need to access it during the day, then rolled up stove in the side vertical pocket. What I havent figured out is the flat part of the stove, usually it goes somewhere it wont get crushed.