Climate change...deer numbers

Drought is the problem.

You mean that period we have every summer in the high desert environs throughout the west where it doesn’t rain? The majority of drought seems to be nothing more than a climate change buzzword at this point. Take last winter for example, the headline in our local paper read “Idaho sees record snowpack, experts warn of impending drought”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
You mean that period we have every summer in the high desert environs throughout the west where it doesn’t rain? The majority of drought seems to be nothing more than a climate change buzzword at this point. Take last winter for example, the headline in our local paper read “Idaho sees record snowpack, experts warn of impending drought”

Not every year. Look at the wet years in the 80s. Talking specifically az, it was in a wet cycle. Because of that unit 4a/b had 2500 deer tags. Now it has 350.

The “climate change” has been a boon for whitetail deer. More habitat. More food.

Has been a boon for world hunger too. Way more people die of cold than hot.

S.Clancy

WKR

I would suggest you look at the difference in
30-yr trends for moisture in the west. Snotel has a good comparison tool for their sites as they just switched from a 1980-2010 30-yr average to 1990-2020. @robby denning who is the member that works for NRCS snotel? They did a podcast on it a while back I believe

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest you look at the difference in
30-yr trends for moisture in the west. Snotel has a good comparison tool for their sites as they just switched from a 1980-2010 30-yr average to 1990-2020. @robby denning who is the member that works for NRCS snotel? They did a podcast on it a while back I believe
@Josh Boyd
He’s been on. Few times. He’s of our Rokstaff too

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Josh Boyd
He’s been on. Few times. He’s of our Rokstaff too
Just to clarify...I work for the U.S. Forest Service but collect snow data for the NRCS as a snow cooperator. Both are under the USDA but have different missions.

The Snotel data go back into the 1960's in some areas, but the earliest manual measured Snow Courses have data from the 1920's. One of the sites I measure was started in 1938. It's a great resource for looking at historic winter trends.