Climate change...deer numbers

@PLhunter what are your thoughts on the expansion of solar power fields on public lands out west and the potential impact on deer herds?

Also, when it comes to emissions, if you haven't already, look at what's happening with carbon sequestration. In Iowa, Summit Carbon Solutions is getting closer to getting state support to leverage emminent domain to steal land from property owners that have not so far agreed to sell or provide easements for their proposed pipeline.

"Summit's system would connect to ethanol plants in five states and transport their captured carbon dioxide to North Dakota for underground storage. The ethanol plants would then produce fuel that is classified "low carbon", enabling the producers to sell into new markets and to be eligible for generous federal tax credits." So essentially, more ag industry subsidies and incentives to grow more corn (and increase erosion, nutrient run-off, habitat loss, etc..., etc..., etc...).

So much for saving the planet, eh?

Edit: And guess who is backing these efforts in the state? Well, the co-founder and CEO of Summit, Bruce Ratsetter, is one of our GOP Gov. Reynolds largest donors. So, while a conservative would expect the GOP to stand for property rights, as always all you have to do is follow the money.

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
I wanted to see if any of you have heard your state game department blame climate change as a major factor in mule deer decline in your state? Last night here in Oregon a meeting was held in my town to discuss the new management strategy for mule deer. Climate change was brought up as a significant factor, #1, in suppressing our deer herd. Anybody heard such a thing? Seems to me they are using it as a scapegoat because it's something they obviously can't control so they basically don't have to do anything because it's all the result of climate. Just to make this clear, they are not saying a bad winter here or there....actual climate change.

They are saying that because of climate change the deer are malnourished which results in them being easier to prey upon. Ok, I can understand that to a point but to say it's the #1 factor....what a crock of sh*t. It couldn't have anything to do with the 10,000 cougars we have in this state. Nah, that would be controllable and they'd actually have to do something. I guess this is what I get for living in a blue state that hates hunters.
Believe it was their #2 reason, not #1, not that it matters. Read their entire report, it’s actually not bad. Have you read the entire report? The reports conclusions are supported by studies here in OR and align with what we have seen in several other states.

I'd offer up a couple thoughts. First, it is warmer, that’s simply verified by temp measures. How much is from us and how much is a “normal“ earth cycle is very much an open question. Drought is terrible for deer. Matters not if springs run, creeks run, etc. What matters is drought makes the forage base bad. Bad forage, deer are not in good condition. Then they drop light weight fawns, go into winter with too little fat and it continues on a downward spiral.

Juniper mitigation may be better for deer than predator control. Open up the under story and let the shrubs and forbs grow. Habitat, habitat,habitat…

But right now, in SE OR, where I like to play, is going into another year of good or better moisture. Be some decent horns there for those that know how to hunt that area. Adequate moisture at the right time absent a terrible winter = better times for deer and hunters.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Average temp last 15k graph.jpg
This graph was derived from the same core samples that were used from Greenland to start the whole
global warming/climate change hoax.

Average temperature of the earth last 15k years.

Anybody care to lay out how we exited the last ice age?
Is this also part of the current fluctuations in current climate?
There are a list of things better at retaining heat in the atmosphere than CO2.
Most of the graphs proffered by the media only contain the last little bit.

R

Rustynail

FNG
If this isn't the realist thing I've read all week than idk what is

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I love how many expert climatologists we have here that definitely know 100% that we have a climate crisis. Every data point you find supporting your opinions, I could find the opposite somewhere else. I think we should do everything within reason to try to protect our environment. We all have to live on this planet. I'm just not concerned we're all going to die from a climate crisis manufactured by billionaires and the media. China and India give zero F's about the planet, but I'm supposed to eat bugs and buy an EV? Suck it!

wesfromky

WKR
View attachment 671166
This graph was derived from the same core samples that were used from Greenland to start the whole
global warming/climate change hoax.

Average temperature of the earth last 15k years.

Anybody care to lay out how we exited the last ice age?
Is this also part of the current fluctuations in current climate?
There are a list of things better at retaining heat in the atmosphere than CO2.
Most of the graphs proffered by the media only contain the last little bit.

R
Source?

It seems like it is based on a fairly widely shared, but thoroughly debunked, social media post. The 0 line is actually in the 1800's, so no, it would not show the warming into the present day.

As a certified old fart, I remember lots of deer and fawns when I was in high school and there was a $50 bounty on Mtn lions. Serious trappers of that time told me cats eat a deer a week on the average. The only thing they like more is horses.

As I remember, as they saturate their habitat with numbers the young move into towns for dogs and yard pets. I remember one three year old child on a tricycle near Missoula in the 90s.

IMG_5672.jpeg

This is straight from NASA

Can any on explain to me why the baseline for this chart is the average temperature from only 1951 to 1980???

You go to their website and everything is red and flashing red. I actually started getting hot and sweaty just looking at the website!!!

Scientist can estimate historic temps going back millions of years. Why would the baseline for the average temperature anomaly be from this one specific very short time frame of only 29 years???

Also the data we actual have temperatures for is “adjusted”.

We are working with “estimates”, “adjusted” data, and comparing last years average temperatures to 1951–1980 to get the headline”last 9 years warmest on record” straight from the NASA record.

I know the climate is changing, I’m positive humans can’t stop it from changing, Im positive new taxes or fees won’t stop it from changing, and I’m positive giving politicians vast amounts of new powers won’t stop it from changing.

I’m 44

Where I started deer hunting when I got a driver license looked pretty close to the same in 2019 as it did the first time I went. In 2020 a couple fires in 2 wilderness areas were left alone, to burn naturally burn out. About 2 weeks later we had a crazy windstorm for several days. These two tiny fires got enormous, combined, and burned west with the winds for 30 miles!!! So in this area that was formerly mainly unchanged, has low deer numbers blamed on climate change. Additionally the enormous wildfires were blamed on climate change.

In both cases I have strong feelings that government agencies in both instances are using climate change to excuse poor management on their parts.

This is in Oregon