Climbing harness setup

Hey guys, this will be my first year hunting whitetails and using a treestand,d and I purchased a black diamond climbing harness to use because it makes way more sense to me than a traditional four point harness.

My biggest questions are in regards to rigging to the tree. I plan on using a muddy style lifeline running up the tree and connecting my climbing harness to the lifeline with a 3-4' tether tied into a Prussic knot. Just interested in how you guys that use a climbing harness are rigging it, and what I should be using for a tether.

Thanks again - Caleb

If your using the premade muddy just wrap the loop around the tree and through itself then tuck it so it won't slip, then attach your carabiner on you belay loop to the prussit and adjust it. The the little slack into your harness belt and your good to go. Your only issue with the muddy is it's kind of short for larger diameter trees. One reason I made my own version.

i use a black diamond alpine bod. i girth hitch a 4 foot long daisy chain into the belt and bottom strap. i attach that to a tree spider tree strap with a black diamond rocklock. with the daisy chain i can adjust my tether length without unclipping all together. photobucket is down but i'll put a picture later.

All these methods work great. I use an 8’ section of 8mm – 10mm dynamic climbing rope (can be static). I tie a re-woven figure eight to my climbing harness or clip into a locking carbineer to the harness (depending on what type of harness I’m using) Run the tail end around the tree trunk or multiple branches. Adjust your preferred length of rope end to the harness (from tree trunk) then tie a butterfly knot along the section of the tail end of the rope (close to the tree trunk). Clip a locking carbineer to the loop in the Butterfly knot (you can tie this knot with your eyes closed) then clip back into the rope strand from the harness. Pull the rope to the harness which will snug up the rope around the tree trunk, branches etc. This set up allows me to tie into multiple tree sets regardless of tree trunk size. It is fast and only requires the mentioned 2 locking carbineers, 8 foot rope section and your climbing harness. I hope this makes some sense.

i use a black diamond alpine bod. i girth hitch a 4 foot long daisy chain into the belt and bottom strap. i attach that to a tree spider tree strap with a black diamond rocklock. with the daisy chain i can adjust my tether length without unclipping all together. photobucket is down but i'll put a picture later.

Are you using overhand knots to make your daisy chain?

If your using the premade muddy just wrap the loop around the tree and through itself then tuck it so it won't slip, then attach your carabiner on you belay loop to the prussit and adjust it. The the little slack into your harness belt and your good to go. Your only issue with the muddy is it's kind of short for larger diameter trees. One reason I made my own version.

This is exactly what I do and really like it compared to a normal treestand harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to a linemans belt, what a lot of guys do is take 1" tubular climb or mil-spec webbing (~18kN), run it through the rear haul loop (Has to be a rated haul loop), and tie loops at each hip to clip into. When in use, almost all of the load is on the webbing, not the harness. In the event of a slip, the hope is that the rated haul loop will prevent the belt from sliding up to your armpits. Also, as was said earlier, make sure the tether is set so that you have only enough slack to turn each way to shoot, and no more. With static line, even a short drop is no fun and puts tremendous impulse on the rope. A safe thing to do is clip a screamer in-line with the tether, so that if you do drop harshly, it'll reduce the impulse and instantaneous load on the tether.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back