CO archery bear (while elk hunting)

Hey everyone - I'm planning to be the "mule" in my hunting group this year for archery elk season in Colorado. I got a tag the past two years in the group so I'm due to be a packer and not a shooter. (Plus I missed on a 45 yard elk last year.. so I guess this is fair punishment!)

I've been thinking about getting a bear tag to potentially get some action

As I understand it, I don't need an OTC Elk license to purchase a black bear tag in Colorado during archery season. Am I reading that right from the CPW? I already put in for non-resident limited rifle elk so I had to purchase the small game license which qualifies me for a big game license, so it should be all good there.

My question is: Have you ever done a bear tag along side an elk tag in a hunting group? Recommend it?

This would be a whole new species for me but I'm getting excited thinking about it. Thoughts?

Hey everyone - I'm planning to be the "mule" in my hunting group this year for archery elk season in Colorado. I got a tag the past two years in the group so I'm due to be a packer and not a shooter. (Plus I missed on a 45 yard elk last year.. so I guess this is fair punishment!)

As I understand it, I don't need an OTC Elk license to purchase a black bear tag in Colorado during archery season. Am I reading that right from the CPW? I already put in for non-resident limited rifle elk so I had to purchase the small game license which qualifies me for a big game license, so it should be all good there.

My question is: Have you ever done a bear tag along side an elk tag in a hunting group? Recommend it?

This would be a whole new species for me but I'm getting excited thinking about it. Thoughts?
put in for the sept rifle bear tag. Better option. And normally an easy draw

Put one in my pocket every year as an opportunity tag. I have never targeted bear in the fall, just happen to cross paths every now and again. I target bear up north in the spring.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I applied for an archery bear tag in the unit that my daughter will have a ML cow tag. But I won't carry my bow until after she's shot her cow, and we've broken it down and taken it home. Then I'll go back up and sit on the carcass.......or just keep checking it over several days. I'd rather have the archery tag than the rifle tag.

I've probablly passed up on the better side of 20 bears in range over the years. I see a lot of them. I love hunting them in the spring, but the fall they just aren't worth my time. I actually shot one last year after filling a couple elk tags, and it just solidified my feelings about fall bear. Not worth the hassle to me, especially if you're packed in. They are a hassle to store, and you have to check the hide prior to freezing. I'd just assume shoot them, leave the hide and salvage only the meat.

Have fun, not a big expense, tons of bears in CO.

Poser

WKR
Sept bears are on the move through increasingly lower elevations, plowing through scrub oak. If your elk hunting elevation profile is too high for scrub oak, your chances of encountering bear are low. Not impossible, but very low.

jdmaxwell

WKR
We encounter them almost every year even high.. I killed 1 so far with a couple other blown stalks.
Always get a tag

Go for it. They can still be up high and it would be fun if you saw one. Some units have a sept rifle tag

O

One sure tip I can give you is if your group makes a kill go back to the kill site and hunt it. Bears will find it , or even if you found a kill

dlee56

WKR
Depends on the unit but you can usually get almost any bear tag off the leftovers. I recommend the sept rifle bear season. Can hunt it with the bow or rifle whatever you want!
Bear tags are a plenty. There’s usually 400+ leftover sept rifle tags in the unit I hunt. If it had cover and water you’re almost guaranteed to see a bear in CO.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I would wait until someone shoots an elk and then hunt the carcass a few days later.Put flagging tape 100 yds straight above the carcass so you can start there and drop down on them in the afternoon with the wind in your face.I've even cleared a trail from the flagging tape to the carcass.You can also sit there and wait but stay back a bit so they dont come in behind you and spot you.I would go archery, it's easy to sneak in while they are feeding.I dont do it anymore because the time required to pack out and check it in is not worth it to me in September.

Hunted archery elk the first week of September this year and saw bear tracks everywhere I went. Only saw one bear though. Seems like it could be fun but wouldn’t want it to take away from elk hunting.

As is usually the case there are many variables. The unit you will be hunting, time you have to hunt and how much you want a bear. If getting a bear is on your bucket list than it will of course be more worthwhile. I put in for archery elk every year and get at least 1 bear tag too. The last few years they have reduced the cost of bear tags and made them a lot easier to get to reduce the number of bears and decrease predation on elk calves. So, if you want to take a bear and are hunting in a good area now is probably the time to do it. I don’t pack way in so if I get one I only loose a day hunting at the most. So it’s worth it to me.

I’ll never get another bear tag unless I have a rifle in my hand. 100 days in elk country over the years and I’ve only seen a handful and none of them were killable with a bow.

You can only get an archery bear tag over the counter as an add on to an elk or deer tag. But depending on unit you may be able to buy a leftover tag

Depending on unit there are over the counter rifle tags that are list B and if you have access, private land only rifle bear tags that are list B or C. It’s just a lot more fun with a bow. If you purchase a rifle tag you can use any lesser weapon so it’s good for bow or muzzleloader too. You can’t do that with a muzzleloader tag though. They are only good for smoke poles.

Slugz

WKR
Ill add a little and highlight what others have said.
1) You wanna see some bears, dont put a tag in your pocket.
2) Scub oak will hold mid age to young bears usually going back and forth to water.
3) A poor mast year will cancel #2
4) We hunt near a elk calving area and find the bigger bears close by. Plently of feed, fresh grass, on the edge of the scrub, conifer and aspen line. Be able to ID what they are eating.
5)Pattern one going to water. If you find where he likes to drink then more times than not he has been there 2 times a day. Hunt the gut pile from a kill when able.
6) They seem to move at dawn and dusk. We cant find em any other time. It doesnt really take away from the elk hunting as there is a 45 min window twice a day to get on one.

Just my opinion and what has worked for us. Thats a P& Y for size reference.

19907.jpeg

17997.jpeg