CO Elk Structure, 2025+

taskswap

WKR
So, CPW posted their "options being considered". What are y'all's thoughts?

Jbehredt

WKR
My concern, and I can live with it is all of those former otc rifle guys deciding that if they have to apply they might as well take the nicer weather of 1st rifle. That’s MY season dammit.

Gerbdog

WKR
They left an email for opinions and i wrote one up... i encourage others to as well... make your voice heard. they emailed back and said the comments will be shared at the commission.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
I'm done with Colorado so I have no skin in the game, but surely they are considering the financial impact the nonresident cuts will have on the state as a whole. It's not only the permit fees, but the trickle down to all aspects of tourism. I totally agree cuts need to be made, but the financial impacts will be massive.

Another thing to consider is the reintroduction of wolves and their impact on the elk heard. It may not be an issue at the front end of the 5 year period but by 2029 there's likely to be numerous established packs taking out a good number of elk each day. We'll probably see larger impacts in localized areas, depending on where packs decide to put down roots, and at that point the CPW will have no choice but to reduce tags for residents and NRs alike. I lived in NW Wyoming during the 90's and early 2000's and witnessed first hand how effective wolves are at decimating an elk population. I really hope they're not as prolific in CO but I won't be holding my breath. This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards options A6/R6 and giving CPW the opportunity to actually manage the GMUs. If there's still a ton of elk, they can give out a bunch of limited tags.

I'm done with Colorado so I have no skin in the game, but surely they are considering the financial impact the nonresident cuts will have on the state as a whole. It's not only the permit fees, but the trickle down to all aspects of tourism. I totally agree cuts need to be made, but the financial impacts will be massive.

If you click on the graphic link it will summarize profit and losses to each one, as well as pros and cons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
If you click on the graphic link it will summarize profit and losses to each one, as well as pros and cons
I don't think any of them had a profit, unless I missed one? Other than status quo, all the changes led to revenue losses.

I couldn’t find a problem statement anywhere in the document.

Are we trying to address point creep, crowding, hunt quality, profitability, herd management or what?

ColoradoV

WKR
A6 and R6 is obviously the best choice!!

Best way to decrease point creep is to use points. No point creep for deer and antelope as the masses can’t hunt and gain a point.

Also it’s only fair for residents to retain a minimum of 80% of the returned and reissue tags. Same for all lo tags…

feanor

WKR
So if the a6 and r6 measures pass, will there be a rush to use points in 2024, or will people be more comfortable thinking that point creep will be under control, and wait for 2025 and beyond?

cnelk

WKR
So if the a6 and r6 measures pass, will there be a rush to use points in 2024, or will people be more comfortable thinking that point creep will be under control, and wait for 2025 and beyond?

It wont be finalized until after the 2024 Draw Deadline..... so you wont know what is passed.

2025 - 2029 Big Game Season Structure (BGSS) Updates

This fall, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) staff began developing alternatives for the 2025-2029 BGSS and will present these alternatives to the Parks and Wildlife Commission at its March 2024 Commission meeting. At this meeting, staff will request guidance from the Commission on which recommendations to bring back for additional consideration in May 2024. Final recommendations will be approved by the Commission in June 2024.