CO point holders: how have you changed your draw strategy?

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Well it’s the time of year where I try to talk myself into cashing in on my preference points (NR, 7pp) earlier than planned. Hunt quality in Colorado has been on the decline for a while but this year it feels different for many obvious reasons. Increased human pressure, the continued fetishizing of predators, and a “free for all” approach to tag allocation are all contributing factors. I am typically not one to overreact, it feels like this year might be a good time to pull stakes.

So here are my questions for all fellow CO point holders in purgatory:

Option 1. Are you cashing in your points earlier than expected?

Option 2. Are you going to hold on to your points with the hope that CPW gets the season restructuring “right” in 2025 and the system improves?

3. Or…are you proceeding as normal and chasing a your desired unit/hunt without a care in the world?

I’m an MT resident so not hunting CO in the near term doesn’t mean that I won’t have elk meat in the freezer. Rather, I feel that we are reaching (or already past) the point of diminishing returns on what is already an overvalued hunt in most of the units around the state.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Ddubs20

FNG
I don't see it improving for non residents. Most residents are fed up with the unlimited OTC archery and rifle seasons. So maybe your points become more or less valuable, only time will tell. I'm sure you montana natives are sick of all the colorado natives moving there to escape the BS here!

I am taking it as it comes, for me. My strategy revolves around my work schedule. If I think there is a chance I can draw when I am home and able to hunt, I will put in for it. If not, I will just grab a point and see what the next season holds for me.

HOT ROD

WKR
i should of burnt my points several years ago when CPW switched to the later seasons hunting mule deer near Thanksgiving in those early years would of been a lot better than it is now... My case is finding the time since I am a Wyoming resident now...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lot of folks dumping points, which has caused even more point creep than normal in the mid and lower tier units. It's hard to tell how many folks will do that each year, so no way to calculate the full impact. But given what we've seen the last couple years, you're at least 2+ years from drawing what I believe you're looking at. Added wolves into the equation isn't going to help the hunting at all, so you've got a tough decision.

Archer86

WKR
I am going to try for a deer tag this year I am holding onto my elk points in hopes that the coming changes will make for some better options for elk hunting. I can sit on the elk points as long as needed being a wyoming resident I can elk every year.

I am going to sit this year's draw out. I am waiting to see how things shake out.

I will wait to see what the next 5-year bgss looks like before pulling the trigger on my deer and antelope points.

If the CPW bgss looks like they are going to try to turn around the age structure of the deer I might hold out to see what happens. If they are going to continue to go down the path they are on, I will likely burn my deer points and never apply for deer points again in the state.

The CPW is at a crossroads of some very difficult decisions. Since they have plenty of money, I would assume that they would be willing to improve the amount of and the age structure of the animals. But I won't hold my breath.

It will be an interesting year watching the draws and seeing the trends of applicants.

I typically only hunt elk every so often in Colorado at this point anyhow. So, whatever they decide won't really have a huge effect on me in a negative way unless they reduce the number of tags available again. Going from 35% to 25% was a punch in the seeds to every NR who has contributed $$ to the CPW over the years.

rideold

WKR
I use mine as soon as I have enough for a sort of reasonable unit. Last thing I want is to get caught in no-mans-land with too many points for the reasonable units but not enough for a really good unit. I'd rather hunt more.

Felix40

WKR
I have 9 elk points. I should have used them 5 years ago. Can’t catch up to the hunt I want. I think I’ll be disappointed in any hunts that take less points because CO stacks so many hunters in September.

The deer hunting kind of sucks now in the unit I’ve been going to every few years. 2023 had noticeably worse buck age structure.

I’ll probably just keep buying points blindly. It’s just hard for me to get excited about going to Colorado to hunt 130” bucks and 250” bulls.

I'm still hunting the same Colorado unit I have been since 2003, just not as often as I used to due to point creep.

If/when Colorado makes significant changes, the changes are unlikely to benefit NR's. The chatter in recent years has been largely focused on reducing NR tag allocations. As a NR, 7 points may be worth more now than 10 points will be 3 years in the future.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I feel for you NR with decades of points, as a R, outlooks for this state are kind of bleak, the constant assault on older bucks has worked and has taken most of the mature bucks off the landscape. As fsr as elk go they may be a better off than our deer herd, but it seems that the age structure just isn’t there either definitely not in the otc or low point units…

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Been building points year after year in CO. Had less than 10 deer points , but decided last year was a year. Had a fun hunt. The point creep has been steadily increasing the last few years. And pretty much going up by 1 point a year. Looking back at drawn out reports for the last few years we were always on the edge of being able to draw. This year I am planning to cash in the elk points.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm seriously considering cashing in this year. If not this year, next year for sure. Archery elk, you know where!
Give em hell! Yeah it’s tough I cashed 8 last year, was it worth it? Eh didn’t really feel like it… but what are you gonna do? My buddy who is almost 40 with like 20 something points is still about a decade out from drawing 201…

My OTC unit was pretty good last year, so I might postpone the unit I was going to draw this year based on a few things I want to "reexplore" i.e. a continuation of last years findings in a unit I've hunted for over 20 years. Nuts!