CO Unit 73/74 knowledge

cBurton5

FNG
My cousin and I are trying to get our foot in the door in these units. We want to make a scouting trip but it’s not looking likely. We will be in 73 for 2nd rifle. We have access to 800 acres of private north of Mancos, but looking for someone that has hunted or is hunting these units that wouldn’t mind sharing some tips or pointers. We are staying in a cabin on the place but are not against going to unit 74. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole just some guidance. We are definitely willing to learn the hard way but any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
You are really across a mountain range from 74 so if the private seems productive at all I would stick with that area. If you have water or cover on that land, let the public land hunters push it them to you. Never hunted 73 so can’t give you much more advice.

OP
cBurton5

cBurton5

FNG
The private is fenced for cattle, will that effect elk at all?

Shouldn’t. Elk can jump fences easily. If they have learned where hunters aren’t, they will go there regardless of a fence

OP
cBurton5

cBurton5

FNG
Shouldn’t. Elk can jump fences easily. If they have learned where hunters aren’t, they will go there regardless of a fence

The place has a few water holes. If I can get up there I want to put a few cameras out. We would like to park and hike in on some public as well to learn the area. I’m just worried there won’t be many elk in 73. We aren’t looking for monsters just a good experience. There is a 99% chance we get tag soup but I’m prepared for that!

Poser

WKR
Plenty of elk in 73 whether you’re hunting farmland, scrub oak, or mountains. On 800 acres, might have a herd daily or might see elk a handful of times a year. Just depends.

Going from farmland in 73 to 74 would be a dramatically different experience as you’re in the mountains almost immediately. North out of Mancos tends to look a lot like Midwest hunting. If you go into 74, you’ll be driving rough roads and hiking your ass off.

OP
cBurton5

cBurton5

FNG
Plenty of elk in 73 whether you’re hunting farmland, scrub oak, or mountains. On 800 acres, might have a herd daily or might see elk a handful of times a year. Just depends.

Going from farmland in 73 to 74 would be a dramatically different experience as you’re in the mountains almost immediately. North out of Mancos tends to look a lot like Midwest hunting. If you go into 74, you’ll be driving rough roads and hiking your ass off.

Just judging by the maps we were thinking about checking out the edges where 73 meets 71 and 74. Looks like a pretty good increase in elevation on the 74 side for sure.