Coffee Experts--Input Needed

DAD

FNG
I know nothing about coffee and rarely drink it.

My wife enjoys coffee and takes a big Yeti to work every day. She has always made instant, but I would like to get her a better way to make and enjoy coffee.

I have looked into machines and french presses. I am truly lost.

I would like something simple for her that has the ability to make large enough size to fill her Yeti each morning.

Help would be appreciated!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The best thing it to talk to her.

My wife doesn't drink coffee and if she messed with mine and how I drink it I would be not impressed.

If she wants more she needs to determine how much she wants.

There is a long way from pour over chemex and grinding your own beans to instant.

fmyth

WKR
I've tried dozens of machines and methods but a simple Hario pour over is my favorite. The only downside is that I can't find the filters at any local store so I buy them 100 at a time on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 8.09.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 8.09.39 AM.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 48

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I only drink fresh ground/brewed, Eight o'clock coffee. My wife never, ever drinks coffee, but she has a couple coffee yogurts every day.

ziqev

FNG
I think talking to her about the coffee she likes is a good call as others have said.

I've had good luck with the breville machines for espresso drinks. But honestly, a nice grinder for beans and a drip machine are still my go-to.

My wife likes the espresso machine each day as it's convenient for a single cup, but I drink way more than that so the drip with a nice grind ticks the boxes for me.

rideold

WKR
From the sounds of it a drip maker would be the best route but yea, I'd talk to her about it a little. Getting a drip maker with a built in burr grinder would be pretty slick if she just wants a set it and forget it kind of coffee experience.

intunegp

WKR
Talking to your wife about it is the best plan for sure. If she enjoys a big Yeti of instant every morning, there's a good chance she'd dislike something too different than that.

My little sister loves the Starbucks Frappucino things in glass bottles from the gas station so she says she loves coffee, but if I gave her a cup of black Folger's out of the shop coffee machine like I sip on every morning she wouldn't like that very much.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
She's not going to do Pour Over, French Press, or want an Espresso machine if she's just doing instant.

I'd suggest something simpler like a great quality drip coffee maker. Most drip makers don't heat the water to the right temp at all, so that narrows down the field. I've used most of the "best" coffee makers (those that consistently get the water to195*-205*F). I found the Technivorm Moccamaster to be the be all, and end all of drip makers. You can absolutely taste the difference. But if you use crap coffee beans, they'll only taste worse. Really, you want great quality whole beans ground in a good quality burr grinder.

I'd get one with a stainless thermal carafe. Made in the Netherlands:

I use this burr grinder, but there are lots out there that work - far less important than the coffee maker:

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Fresh ground is the only way to go.

For beans:

I'm certainly no expert but you probably can't go wrong with just getting a Keurig. There's 100+ different brands / flavors pods she can try. Great deals on them at the moment too.

It’s awesome you love her that much. Talk to her. Do some reading. I’m not a coffee snob, and I will uncomplainingly drink some gas station swill, but there is a wide gulf between instant and fresh roasted fresh ground.

Then get a French press and a grinder and some fresh roasted beans if you can find em. A French press is really pretty simple. Heads up…. french roast has a burnt taste that some like and some don’t. Light and medium roasts also taste different. The roast is important. IMO any of the devices that use paper, I can taste the paper, but not everyone is that finicky.

A simple drip machine that you can set at night is an awesome way to go for convenience. Many of them have a washable mesh filter so you don’t have to use paper.

Espresso machine is a whole other level of commitment.

woods89

WKR
I use a 6 cup pour over(similar to a chemex) and get local fresh roasted beans once a week. I also have a Mokapot 1 cup that I use occasionally.

I try pretty hard not to be snobbish about it, as if someone gives me a cup I want to be able to enjoy it no matter how it was made, but both those methods are a long jump ahead in quality for me over instant. This is a pretty subjective thing, though.

jimh406

WKR
I have a Nespresso because my daughter got it for me for Christmas. I don't think it makes better coffee than a Keurig. I've used a couple of different types of each. I also like using an espresso maker and a gold filter drip. However, she could be like my brother who has a Keurig(his wife's), but prefers making instant.

Most people are picky about the flavor, so you have to buy the right coffee for the type of machine. Also, the water makes a difference as well.

feanor

WKR
She's not going to do Pour Over, French Press, or want an Espresso machine if she's just doing instant.

I'd suggest something simpler like a great quality drip coffee maker. Most drip makers don't heat the water to the right temp at all, so that narrows down the field. I've used most of the "best" coffee makers (those that consistently get the water to195*-205*F). I found the Technivorm Moccamaster to be the be all, and end all of drip makers. You can absolutely taste the difference. But if you use crap coffee beans, they'll only taste worse. Really, you want great quality whole beans ground in a good quality burr grinder.

I'd get one with a stainless thermal carafe. Made in the Netherlands:

I use this burr grinder, but there are lots out there that work - far less important than the coffee maker:

Brad is on the right track here. If she is taking a big mug to work, you need volume. But if you want to upgrade the basic coffee she is drinking, you need fresh coffee too. Preferably ground that morning. Then dump into the Tech and brew.

Question for OP: does your wife drink coffee black, or with a whole lot of flavors and creamers and sweeteners?

If she doesn't drink coffee black, the juice of fancy brewing setups is not likely worth the squeeze. Get a nice drip machine and a customized yeti.

Check out Matt Hoffman on YouTube if you really want to go down the coffee snob route. He has some decent suggestions for consumer coffee hardware.