Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I did a limited version of the cold bore challenge with 1 rifle while trying to get the kinks out of another new rifle.

The cold bore challenge is going to be really tough compared to the bow challenge. I did 700 yards. 1st round hits with wind are no joke when you have one shot to get it done.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I did a limited version of the cold bore challenge with 1 rifle while trying to get the kinks out of another new rifle.

The cold bore challenge is going to be really tough compared to the bow challenge. I did 700 yards. 1st round hits with wind are no joke when you have one shot to get it done.

I was thinking my max would be 700. Going to see if I can do the 2 cold shots at 600 over the next couple weeks if it's feasible to see if I can even do that.

You guys are spot on. This challenge is going to open up a lot of our eyes to what we're actually capable of.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Going to see if I can do the 2 cold shots at 600 over the next couple weeks if it's feasible to see if I can even do that.
Same. My range is a very hunting realistic a cross canyon shot, so I feel pretty good about 600 if I can get lucky early in the morning before the wind picks up. I've always considered 600 my MER with minimal wind so I dig the criteria of the challenge, and will push it farther if I can go 2/2 and get 2 more calm mornings.

You guys are spot on. This challenge is going to open up a lot of our eyes to what we're actually capable of.
Agreed. What's the best format for posting videos? I have zero software or knowledge of how to convert anything taken by a Galaxy S9, lol. If it's a hassle I will just resort to phone skope pics.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. What's the best format for posting videos? I have zero software or knowledge of how to convert anything taken by a Galaxy S9, lol. If it's a hassle I will just resort to phone skope pics.
Videos will have to be hosted somewhere else, like YouTube or Facebook, and then posted. Most people will just choose to post a pic I'm sure.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You might be on to something there....
Day 1 proof of life needs to be a video? That would make the thread a must see!!! No phone scope = put the camera 10 yards away from the target facing the target! I bet there would be some badass videos, and some funny ones.

A caveman can post a video on YouTube nowadays.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking my max would be 700. Going to see if I can do the 2 cold shots at 600 over the next couple weeks if it's feasible to see if I can even do that.
smart man, and my best cold bow performances have been when I did multiple practice sessions at the MER well before the challenge started.

Scoped out my spot tonight. I should be able to get 601 to qualify, with some good wind reading then step it out to 665 for shots 3 and 4.
I’m expecting to make it at 600, I would be very pleased at 665 but think I’m a 600 with consistent or no wind MER.
I’ve taken animals at 550 with one shot and feel I can do that most days pending wind. Turned down a 750 plus shot this year so that’s too far.

Should be time for those to enter that can’t shoot the first weekend. CBC each year seems like it’s going to fill up instantly and it usually drags out quite awhile and sometimes never fills. Just over 200 posts on this thread with a bunch from Justin, Robby and Sam plus multiple posts from other members.

WBrim

WKR
Limiting the playing field to 100? That changes things for me - my schedule doesn't allow the beginning of June.

Having the goodies limited to being drawn out of a hat of 100 folks, maybe 50 doing 600+ yds, so 1 in 150 chance for the goodies aint shabby.

Y'all have fun and good luck with the drawings!!!!
Maybe 1 out of 150, but more than 1 prize. Something like 5? 5 out of 150 is pretty good.

Forgive me for being slow...
Do you have to successfully hit your first two targets at 600 in order to be entered? And then you can shoot your distance beyond 600?

So theoretically if I claim 650 and I miss my first shot at 600 am I excluded from drawings?

Just want some clarification, thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgive me for being slow...
Do you have to successfully hit your first two targets at 600 in order to be entered? And then you can shoot your distance beyond 600?

So theoretically if I claim 650 and I miss my first shot at 600 am I excluded from drawings?

Just want some clarification, thanks!
You should listen to podcast we go into great detail covering the entire event.

You need to make 2 hits within a 10" circle at 600 yards to shoot any MER beyond 600 yards. Then you'll shoot 2 more shots at your MER

If you fail to make both impacts within the 10" circle at 600 yards, you would get a single entry into the drawing. **and have learned your MER is sub 600 yards**

We fully expect there to be misses, 600 yards isn't the given most pretend it is. Remember this is a personal challenge to see if your actual ability and where you think your MER are the same.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You should listen to podcast we go into great detail covering the entire event.

You need to make 2 hits within a 10" circle at 600 yards to shoot any MER beyond 600 yards. Then you'll shoot 2 more shots at your MER

If you fail to make both impacts within the 10" circle at 600 yards, you would get a single entry into the drawing.

We fully expect there to be misses, 600 yards isn't the given most pretend it is. Remember this is a personal challenge to see if your actual ability and where you think your MER are the same.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I listened to it but I'm special...just didn't know if It was a single entry at that point or you get the boot! I'll challenge myself for sure, I have no shame! I hope this challenge humbles some and gives me some aspirations as well. I'm sure there are some really great shooters on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.