Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

sndmn11

WKR
@Lawnboi I got a new Lakewood double bow case so that cardboard is going to be our target. I think I can cut it in half hot dog style, not hamburger style, and have two full-size deer body outlines.

lak2004

WKR
I just like steel for confirming hits by sound but nothing wrong with cheap cardboard. I also don't mind a broke down box and bring some tape to build it back up. Throw some dirt in the bottom and a rock on top maybe.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got out for my 2nd practice day and first true Cold Bore with no practice afterward, and challenge-legal rest (prone, pack, rear bag)

Wind 180 off of last session & less than 5mph so held in 10” circle
IMG_4451.jpeg

at 450, made the 10” vital. See black arrow for today’s shot.

(The digital circle is there because my ball point pen circle isn’t showing up well on here)

tape is from Saturday’s session checking my scope.

Anyone else warming up?

lak2004

WKR
Getting rounds ready this week! Will get out this weekend to do some testing.
315168b3cb20b757e995c72e2ceaddc5.jpg

I ran up to my spot Friday after calling it an early afternoon from work.
601 steel is 12”, orange circle painted on it is 10”.
260 Remington Savage model 10 that I have stiffened the forend on and added a Timney trigger.
130 Hornady ELDM hand loads that have taken many animals including a few cow elk.
IMG_0496.jpeg
Wind was whipping at the target but pretty much dead calm from my spot.
IMG_0494.jpeg
Shooting across the head end of a draw, over a ridge and onto the far hillside of another draw.
Dialed 0.5 moa left and barely made it in, then shot another target at 637 but added another 0.5 moa left and was perfect elevation just right of center.
Feeling good to push for 665 or so assuming I can gauge wind right for the 2 at 600 and next 2

Bsnyder

WKR
Ok I’m in. If anyone in the Spokane/cda/post falls area wants to join shoot me a pm. I’ll have to check target sizes but should be able to find something that fits. I know we have an 8 inch diamond at 800. And a 8 inchx10 in triangle at 675.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I’m in. If anyone in the Spokane/cda/post falls area wants to join shoot me a pm. I’ll have to check target sizes but should be able to find something that fits. I know we have an 8 inch diamond at 800. And a 8 inchx10 in triangle at 675.
Just remember it has to be a 10 circle to qualify

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Would a 10 inch square count? Guessing not but wanted to check.

Will be entering for sure!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Looking forward to this. I will probably be at the 400y mark which is a bit further than I've killed anything at before so it's pushing it for me even though that's probably a chip shot for others. Likely use my pack and a rear bag and no bipod this year (even though I've had a bipod on my rifle in the past while hunting, I was planning to take it off for this year). Maybe try sitting or something for one of the shots if I'm feeling good that day...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to this. I will probably be at the 400y mark which is a bit further than I've killed anything at before so it's pushing it for me even though that's probably a chip shot for others. Likely use my pack and a rear bag and no bipod this year (even though I've had a bipod on my rifle in the past while hunting, I was planning to take it off for this year). Maybe try sitting or something for one of the shots if I'm feeling good that day...
If you can hit a 10” sitting at 400, that’s tough!

mcr-85

WKR
I have some old disc targets painted. I am going to lag bolt them into some trees and start shooting soon.

Some of them have a hole right in the middle so if I don't hear steel being hit I'm already calling a center shot.

Likelyhood of centerpunching it on a cold bore is low but maybe I'll get time to weld a scab piece over the hole prior to shooting.
526c67b2d1f6efde81ad80e5bc14f8e4.jpg
0571cb324ce11c2ab4bac44103bfdad8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk