Cold Bow 2024.... QnA Thread

CorbLand

WKR
I'll be interested to see if the 100 people fill it since it is broad heads only.
Last year the vast majority were shooting broadheads so I don't know that it will see a massive decrease in numbers.

Personally, not a fan of the new rules as it really puts those that shoot expendables in a pickle unless its one brand but there will be one less this year because I am not going to spend 200 bucks and retune my bow to be in the running.

I also dont like the three days as it decreases the data points and decreases the usefulness of it.
Of the 100 people that shot last year, 37 of them hit 0-3 times. Be interesting to see how much that increases with less shooting.

The only wanting the "most serious archers" is also going to skew the data and look at the wrong people.

I personally dont see how the new rules are going to decrease the work load any but not my place to make the rules.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The goal of the challenge isn’t to collect data. The goal is to get people thinking about practice and remind them that field points and broadheads are two different animals.
It’s fin to change things up. Maybe next year will be different again.
And… it’s a way for Rokslide to give cool stuff to our members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
The goal of the challenge isn’t to collect data. The goal is to get people thinking about practice and remind them that field points and broadheads are two different animals.
It’s fin to change things up. Maybe next year will be different again.
And… it’s a way for Rokslide to give cool stuff to our members.

Last year was my first challenge, but we certainly analyzed data afterwards, and it added interest to the fun. Since @CorbLand did the data compilation, it is understandable he would look at it from a stats point of view.

Although I don't understand why he says expandable shooters are in a pickle?

CorbLand

WKR
Last year was my first challenge, but we certainly analyzed data afterwards, and it added interest to the fun. Since @CorbLand did the data compilation, it is understandable he would look at it from a stats point of view.

Although I don't understand why he says expandable shooters are in a pickle?
There were a few people that were interested in long term data over the years so it sucks to see the changes and the loss of that. But like I said, not my place to make the rules.

I am far from an expert but my understanding is that most expandables aren’t designed to be shot into a target. According to the rules, it must be the broadhead you intend to hunt with, so anyone that doesn’t shoot one of the few expandables that can be shot into a target either can’t participate or has to switch things up to meet the requirements.

Last edited:

TheCoyote

FNG
we factored that in and are happy to take the risk. "Serious archers need only apply"

We gave the Field points a 7 year run
Yep! I thought I was a real badass until I started shooting fixed blades long range. That will illuminate your errors. Everyone falsely assumes that they’ll be equally effective with broadheads as a field point.

Jethro

WKR
There were a few people that were interested in long term data over the years so it sucks to see the changes and the loss of that. But like I said, not my place to make the rules.

I am far from an expert but my understanding is that most expandables aren’t designed to be shot into a target. According to the rules, it must be the broadhead you intend to hunt with, so anyone that doesn’t shoot one of the few expandables that can be shot into a target either can’t participate or has to switch things up to meet the requirements.
I’m no expandable expert either. Only have vortex 2.75 for turkeys. I have the blades superglued closed on one of the heads for practice shots.

Expandable broadheads will hold up to shooting into a target a few times.

Assuming they are decent heads.

With 3 days I might shoot it. That's really only 2 days off from shooting.

I do think it makes it a lot less of a challenge tho, or can make people think they are capable of what they probably aren't i guess is what i really mean.

I enjoyed seeing the data if if it wasn't the point of the challenge.

For next year, since nobody asked, I'd say make it a 10 arrow challenge. You can shoot as much as you want, but it's the first shot of the day that counts. It's usually not the being out of practice, just cold form issues.

CMF

WKR
Don't people practice with their broadheads? I am a newer archer and shoot VPA 3 blades (easy to sharpen) but I practice with them so that I know what to expect when I let an arrow fly. I just buy the cheap broadhead targets and if they get worn out I swap em.
I've been practicing more and more with them, but years ago I wouldn't put one on until a couple weeks before season. Target and broadhead wear I'd say is the main reason.
Personally, not a fan of the new rules as it really puts those that shoot expendables in a pickle unless its one brand but there will be one less this year because I am not going to spend 200 bucks and retune my bow to be in the running.
I'm not following why you would have to spend $200 and retune? Which heads do you shoot? You could Just pick up a cheapo pack of expendables to shoot the challenge with.
Expandable broadheads will hold up to shooting into a target a few times.
Agree
I enjoyed seeing the data if if it wasn't the point of the challenge.
Me too!
For next year, since nobody asked, I'd say make it a 10 arrow challenge. You can shoot as much as you want, but it's the first shot of the day that counts. It's usually not the being out of practice, just cold form issues.
I like that idea cause hate getting my crap out just to shoot one arrow, I'd like to keep shooting while I'm out there.

CorbLand

WKR
I've been practicing more and more with them, but years ago I wouldn't put one on until a couple weeks before season. Target and broadhead wear I'd say is the main reason.

I'm not following why you would have to spend $200 and retune? Which heads do you shoot? You could Just pick up a cheapo pack of expendables to shoot the challenge with.

Agree

Me too!

I like that idea cause hate getting my crap out just to shoot one arrow, I'd like to keep shooting while I'm out there.
I shoot Dead Meats. I would have to buy a new target because I have a bag. I only ever shoot the practice head. You would destroy Dead Meats getting them out.

Why would you use a different setup than what you hunt with? That would defeat the purpose of the challenge. Robby said it has to be what you plan to hunt with.

I was just stating my opinion of the new rules. That is it and like @Jethro said, my opinion is going to be a little biased to wanting to see that long term data. That is why I offered to put the data together last year and already have it adjusted for this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMF

thayerp81

FNG
back when I used expandables, I would just make sure to use on the the cheap foam targets set up so I was shooting through the thinnest cross section. I would typically get pass throughs, but even if you don't you can just push the head through until it breaks through. then you just unscrew it and remove the arrow. makes it really easy and the target doesn't get as torn up.

I always did this because I never trusted the "practice head" and I wanted to shoot the actual BH before going hunting.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
back when I used expandables, I would just make sure to use on the the cheap foam targets set up so I was shooting through the thinnest cross section. I would typically get pass throughs, but even if you don't you can just push the head through until it breaks through. then you just unscrew it and remove the arrow. makes it really easy and the target doesn't get as torn up.

I always did this because I never trusted the "practice head" and I wanted to shoot the actual BH before going hunting.
This is what I do with my fixed blades to save my targets and it's just easier to remove the arrows that way.

In the spirit of shooting with a little pressure, I'm going to post my cold shot with a broadhead at 20 today (longbow edition). Stay tuned!

Shooting some no name three blade that a buddy gave me for free. I don't think it's going hunting with me, cause this is the second time I've shot it and the blades started rattling. Back to the drawing board there...

On to the shot though! Hoping to draw a mule deer tag this season, so I shot this from two knees, as is more likely to happen on a stalk.

Alignment was great, and shot was a surprise break, but... I worked my legs hard with squats and RDL's yesterday evening. Float was just a little bigger than usual with that kneeling stance and tired glutes.
IMG_5211.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting some no name three blade that a buddy gave me for free. I don't think it's going hunting with me, cause this is the second time I've shot it and the blades started rattling. Back to the drawing board there...

On to the shot though! Hoping to draw a mule deer tag this season, so I shot this from two knees, as is more likely to happen on a stalk.

Alignment was great, and shot was a surprise break, but... I worked my legs hard with squats and RDL's yesterday evening. Float was just a little bigger than usual with that kneeling stance and tired glutes.
View attachment 701808
All right man! 1st official-unofficial practice shot of the ‘24 CBC.

And hope the mule deer tag comes through

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dusted of my bow yesterday. Installed a new sight. Will be getting new strings before the challenge kicks off so better start moving those up the priority chain.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Just so i understand the target size is chosen by the contestant?" kill zone size of your intended species" i know there is some disagreement on the kill zone is size is but I'm focused on elk so im thinking like 22-16" wide 16-12" tall, then for deer something like 16-12" wide by 12-8" tall. Does that seam reasonable?

a standard piece of paper 8.5*11 might be a easy target for all to find and use

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just so i understand the target size is chosen by the contestant?" kill zone size of your intended species" i know there is some disagreement on the kill zone is size is but I'm focused on elk so im thinking like 22-16" wide 16-12" tall, then for deer something like 16-12" wide by 12-8" tall. Does that ream reasonable?

It is a CHALLENGE after all.

I'm personally going to use a much more conservative approach of 6" circle for deer or 8"circle for elk if I can't consistently hit those then it's outside my MAXIMUM Effective Range.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll probably use the inside of a paper plate (cutting off the rippled outer edge) and tape it to my target.
That should cover the vitals for everything but a stupid turkey!!