Colorado 3rd Season Sleep System

sridenhour

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going for a 3rd season elk hunt probably by myself this year. Would like recommendations on what degree sleeping bag and a shelter recommendation. I plan on doing some truck base camps as well as some backpack camping. Would I need a shelter with a stove or could I get away with just a tarp type shelter?

Travis907

WKR
+1 for the zero degree sleeping bag and I prefer the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe SL insulated sleeping pad. The sleeping pad is 3.5” thick and a warm R-Value of 6.5. Any shelter with that set up will definitely get the job done!

Rmauch20

WKR
I am heading out solo in third season as well. I plan to camp around the truck. I upgraded my shelter this year to a Seek outside Cimmaron with stove. Will be taking my Kelty cosmic 20° bag, but I’m going to bring an extra liner for it try to get me closer to a 0 degree rating.

If I didn’t already have that I would probably spend some money on a good 0 degree bag.
If you’re just truck camping you could take a closed cell foam sleeping pad.

Bbrinks

FNG
I’m in the same boat. Trying to decide if I should bring the 0 degree bag or if my 10 degree quilt will be enough since I’ll have my down coat and puffy pants as well

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going for a 3rd season elk hunt probably by myself this year. Would like recommendations on what degree sleeping bag and a shelter recommendation. I plan on doing some truck base camps as well as some backpack camping. Would I need a shelter with a stove or could I get away with just a tarp type shelter?

The way the moister has been in Colorado this summer, we are guessing the winter is going to be crazy. That being said I would get a good shelter with a possibility of a stove if you're hunting from a truck. If you plan on hiking in I would get a 0 degree sleeping bag, and a very good sleeping pad. I know for a fact that a 0 degree sleeping bad will work better than a 10 degree. (depending on the area in Colorado) It can get below 0 over night in some spots.

Lando

WKR
That time of year can see a fair amount of snow, so a tent capable of shedding snow will be important and a sleep system capable to zero is a must. I'd have a pad with an r-value to 5 or 6. If your bag is comfortable to 20 degrees, you might consider draping a 30-40 degree bag or quilt over it before buying another bag.

I'd suggest subtracting 10-15 degrees from your bag rating in comparison to the weather forecast, and get a great winter pad like an xtherm. For example if it's going to be getting into the teens at night you want a zero degree bag. Don't count on a stove in your shelter to keep you warm at night. Stove's work great for drying things out in the evening and warming things up (like boots) in the morning but not great for keeping you comfortable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't go 3rd or later without a -30 bag and a shelter with a wood stove. I hated sleeping in a wall tent with a stove glowing red with coal, using a -30 bag, wearing my base layers and a heavy wool hat, and still freezing my tail off every night. Man I like archery season.

WTFJohn

WKR
Here are a few shots from the last two years of 3rd season with a Cimarron & stove, no way I would have enjoyed this with my tarp setup. Pic 2 is the night before pic 3; overnight winds of 50+ (around 3AM the stove jack was blown hard enough to disconnect from the stove) and 8" of new snow the next day. I had a 0* synthetic bag with a good pad on both setups and was still cold at times. Condensation with a stove & snow floor takes some learning to get right. The stove will net you 30 mins-1.5ish hours of heating based on the wood you use and such; don't rely on it to keep you warm overnight. 0* would be the starting point for figuring out a bag to take. A stove lets your gear dry out and warm up as well.

The days can be cold and the nights are guaranteed to be long; staying warm & comfortable while you recharge is worth every extra ounce in your pack.

G1B473r.jpg

6BvMjIW.jpg

mSNAn5I.jpg

Last edited: