A place to sleep

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for recommendations... I'm back and forth between a 4 Season tent such as the Alaskan Guide from Cabelas and a hot tent such as an Argali or Seek Outside. Obviously the stove would be nice for warming up but how much difference is it really going to make unless nonstop tending?

Let me add that I live and hunt in Georgia for whitetail but will be traveling around the state and into the Midwest next year. May venture further west eventually. This won't be a shelter ill backpack with but more of a base camp at the vehicle. Figured I'd ask here as you guys are the experts in staying comfortable in less than ideal situations. Thanks!

rclouse79

WKR
If car camping, I would get an insulated ice fishing pop up with a cot and big buddy heater. It is way cheaper, warmer, and faster to set up than a tipi with a wood stove.
For backpacking with a heat source I would get a Cimmaron with a xl SO wood stove.
For backpacking without a heat source I would get a Durston mid-x 1 or 2.

Second the wood heat. It has to be the best thing there is. Nice and dry. Honestly hard to beat canvas wall tents as a base camp. They breathe really well. Been in some wet and cold base camps and there’s nothing better than waking up warm and dry after a long wet evening the night before.

Maverick1

WKR
For September elk, in the mountains, with temperatures anywhere from 30-70 degrees overnight, I sleep under an 8x10 tarp. Use an inflatable air mattress and 20 degree sleeping bag. For warmer nights, I open it up and use it like a regular blanket/quilt. For cooler nights, I just climb inside the sleeping bag. I've used this same system across multiple western states for elk. (In a couple of situations, I have also slept in the vehicle, described below.)

For whitetails, with temperatures anywhere from 10-60 degrees overnight, I sleep in the front seat of my vehicle. Just lean the seat all the way back, climb into my sleeping bag, and fall asleep. Simple. Easy. Effective. And doesn't cost anything. Little to no effort. I've used this system for multiple trips for deer over the last 20+ years across a number of states. Couldn't imagine the time, effort, hassle, or energy involved with trying to find a camping site to setup a canvas tent then traveling to the area I wanted to hunt on a daily basis.

Mosby

WKR
For car camping I would get a Kodiak 10x10 tent and a buddy heater. Works really well as a base camp in all sorts of weather and you can stand up in it. I like mine. Bunk cots make it even better. I also have a 12x12 Alaknak tent with a wood stove but you can't always burn wood out west and since I hunt by myself most of the time, it isn't worth the work.

A 4 season tent is nice to have on Western trips. I use mine when I expect bad weather.... snow, rain or high winds. I want to stay dry. But they don't work all that well in warm weather when ventilation is important and they're heavy. Most of the time a 3 season works well enough and saves weight. I also have a Seek Outside w/ a stove. You get heat for short periods of time but requires tending. It's nice to get warmed up even for short periods when you're in the cold 24/7. Tarps and a bivy work too. What I take is dictated by temps, expected weather, how far I'm hiking in and how much weight I want to carry. Sleeping in your truck is always an option but I sleep better in a tent and I get grumpy when I don't sleep well.

Personally, I would't sleep in a floor less shelter in the South or even the midwest if I'm going to be hunting in warm weather. YMMV

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I do the canvas tent with the buddy heater to knock off the chill. I do not run it when I sleep. My sleep system will keep me warm thru the night. When I wake up I turn it on and it knocks off the chill pretty fast. I think you could incorporate a buddy heater with the Cabelas tent. I do not have one, but they get good reviews for use in bad weather.