colorado cow moose

Baddog

WKR
I'm not sure I totally understand the draw in Colorado on moose. The odds show that you could draw a cow moose tag with 3-5 points in a lot of units as a non resident. Seems I must be interpreting them wrong or does the high price of the tag keep people away?

Correct, the high price is the factor, but that is no longer the case either. Just a couple years ago NR moose was 1-2 points max. I remember a R buying a NR moose tag just so he could get in without the wait.

im close on points, for a R, I’ll go shoot one and that will be it But the points are going up as well.

Beendare

WKR
I was chasing a bull tag for over a decade…switched to Cow and drew my first year- a couple years back. Its not much of a hunt, even with a recurve- the hardestpart was find8ng a cow that didn’t have a little one tagging along.

My bet is points req will rise with intro of wolves. Those wolves will wipe out the moose population in CO In under a decade….or at least severely limit hunting opportunities.

Dschwan

WKR
I drew my tag this past season with 4 points and was happy to have it. Yes, price is a little steep but it will most likely be the only moose I will ever shoot. As good as the meat is I am seriously considering buying a pref. point this year.

If you draw the right unit in CO it'll be one of the easiest hunts in your life. Drawing the cow tag is the hardest part. As a CO resident I'm holding out for a bull tag. If I get too old I'll likely cash in my chips and put in for a cow tag.

Im looking at cashing points in for a cow tag. I have no experience chasing moose, but everyone says it is easy which makes me think i dont need an outfitter. Ive looked at northern units, but really dont know what im doing. Being solo i certainly wouldnt want to pack meat that far. Do most guys spot moose from the roads and simply pyt a lot of miles on? Any tips would be helpful. Feel free to DM me, willing to take any advice out there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I drew my bull moose tag in 2020 and shot one during archery the first evening, then my 16 yo daughter drew a ML cow moose tag last year and shot hers the second day, and this year I have 3 points to try and get an archery cow moose tag. Here's the bull that was hanging with the cow my daughter shot.
IMG_2117.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Not exactly a grocery run but close….big layup with a rifle.

I shot mine with a recurve and though they have bad eyesight, they don’t like you that close. I found a bull I thought had a cow with him and when the wind changed he charged at me- a bit of a false charge but enough to get my blood flowing

The biggest challenge I had was finding one NOT on private ground…and finding one without a calf.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
You guys better enjoy it while you can. Idaho used to allow hunters to draw for a bull and a cow hunt, both once in a lifetime. Cow hunts were available throughout the state. Now, thanks to the wolves that were introduced from Canada, we have no more cow hunts, and bull hunts are more limited.

Anyone of you experienced CO moose hunters care to share some info in private? sitting on 16 weighted points and about to give up and put in for a cow this year or next. I've been into more moose than elk some trips in Colorado, but curious about your draw strategies.

cnelk

WKR
Anyone of you experienced CO moose hunters care to share some info in private? sitting on 16 weighted points and about to give up and put in for a cow this year or next. I've been into more moose than elk some trips in Colorado, but curious about your draw strategies.
Well lucky for you the CPW will be upping the cow moose tags in the near future! ;)

I'm thinking about putting in for cow tag for one of the new wilderness-only hunts. I figure the odds might be better and my physical therapist could use a new sportscar based on my insurance paying him to fix me.

That said, if anyone knows of a unit where truck camping access is available, I'd love to hear it (via PM) since I'd like to take my young boys on their first adventure.

Beendare

WKR
@mikeadams- i think you are right…things are changing- good call.

How long will it be until many of these tags just go away completely?

I realized I would literally never catch up and draw a non res bull tag in CO, even with a dozen points. Then looking at the politics- antis on the F&G commission, wolf proposals in the lurch and such…I thought screw it I’m going to blow my points on a cow.

In some of the northern states …the wolves and whatever else they have going on there has totally shut down some of the moose hunts. I took a cow hunt even at the ridiculously expensive tag price and added it onto a Wy elk hunt.

These prices are getting outrageous, 2700 for a cow tag. At what point do you save and go on a British Columbia or Alaska bull hunt.