Tell Me About Shiras Moose (Cow) Meat...

My better half drew a cow moose tag this year, for Colorado. Which makes me a guide come October 1.
I had an opportunity to help a friend break down a smaller bull a few years back but have never laid hands on a cow. How much boned out meat will an average Shiras cow yield?
I would appreciate any opinions regarding the quality of the meat, as well. The bull I helped with earned me a few steaks that were darn good. I would assume a cow would be as good as a young bull, if not better?
It looks like I may have to sacrifice my elk hunt this year to help my wife fill her tag, which I can live with. This will be easier done if I can build my enthusiasm... Thanks

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had cow before, but I shot a 3 1/2 year old bull a few years ago. It was the best tasting game meat I've ever had. I had some non-hunting family ask if I was sure it was moose and not beef when I grilled some up. As good as it gets.
I don't know the exact amount of meat we got off it, but it was a lot. I'd wager almost 2 elks worth. I had 50-60 lb of burger just off the neck/brisket that is hardly even a consideration on other critters.

We made burger, sausage, salami, summer sausage, and steaks/roasts out of my grandpa's cow. Split 5 ways we each left with a 45 quart Coolers worth if that's an indication. Never weighed any of it though. Very tasty to boot

My better half drew a cow moose tag this year, for Colorado. Which makes me a guide come October 1.
I had an opportunity to help a friend break down a smaller bull a few years back but have never laid hands on a cow. How much boned out meat will an average Shiras cow yield?
I would appreciate any opinions regarding the quality of the meat, as well. The bull I helped with earned me a few steaks that were darn good. I would assume a cow would be as good as a young bull, if not better?
It looks like I may have to sacrifice my elk hunt this year to help my wife fill her tag, which I can live with. This will be easier done if I can build my enthusiasm... Thanks
It delicious

Axlrod

WKR
I worked 20+ years in a wild game shop. Seems like most cows had a yield somewhere around 200-350 lbs of meat, depending age, where they were shot, and how many times. I have tried quite a few Shiras moose and all but 1 were the best tasting wild game I have had.

Got a 6 1/2 year old bull in southern Wyoming in late October of '21. Broke down and hauled the meet out the night of the harvest. Meat went into a walk in cooler that morning. Aged for over 2 weeks. The steaks had great flavor but, mighty tough. Talked to friends and for older bulls about 50/50 tender or tough.

My colorado bull was very good. My son killed a bull moose as well and it was very good. Ore tender than mine. I like it better than elk meat I think. But I’d still say I like antelope better than moose.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I killed an 11 1/2 year old cow here in WA in 2016. Some of the toughest game meat I have ever had. However, the taste was as good as any game meat I have ever eaten. I likened the taste to grass fed beef. Bio said she was somewhere between 700 and 750 lbs and I believe it. She had been captured and tagged a few years earlier. Got exactly 325 lbs of cleaned, deboned and vacuum sealed meat. They can get pretty huge.

Sled

WKR
I'd agree with much already said. It's dense meat that tastes great. We cook it slow and cut across the grain. Any extra ways to tenderize the meat helps. Oh, and don't be surprised if you get gassy an moose. It seems to have that effect on a lot of people.

Maverick1

WKR
It is delicious! I shot a medium cow Shiras with the bow. I would say the meat yield was similar to a larger than average bull elk. Sample size of one, though, so take that for what it's worth! One tip I learned on my first elk many years ago - maybe you could consider for your moose if she punches the tag - I would NOT have it made into finished product like sausage, jerky, etc. The butcher shop / meat market uses the same ingredients/spices/flavor mixtures as they do on any other game meat. (Said differently, get your moose made into as many steaks and roasts as possible, and grind the rest into 1# tubes of ground meat. In my opinion, it would be kind of a waste to have moose meat made into summer sausage, salami, jerky, etc. - because it will taste very similar to those same products made out of other wild game such as elk, deer, etc.) I still prefer elk over moose slightly, but it is right near the top of my favorite meat to eat!

I have heard that it depends on when the moose was killed. Early on when they are feeding on succulants the meat is quite good but late in the season, when they change to willows, the flavor changes. A professor of mine said when gifted a late season cow moose, "It tasted like a thousand pounds of willow flavored rubber bands."

Old usually equals tougher meat. My Dad shot an old bull when I was about 15. We tried one roast it was like chewing rubber bands, ended up canning the entire bull. Lots of work but you could eat it with a fork and it was great tasting.

Wrench

WKR
Revived this to say that two of my friends killed shiras bulls this year. One was n. Idaho the other in Eastern Washington. One was an older mature bull the other 2 and a half.....both were so tough the backstraps had to be ground. Both hung for at least two weeks above freezing. On the older bull... even the burger is tough.

bobco

FNG
shot a cow 2023 october. I love elk cow meat but this moose has been over the moon. Sirlon steaks very tender and flavor great. not a hint of gamey.

Maverick1

WKR
How did the hunt go?

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting buddy got a 3 y/o bull, meat was fantastic and tender, few years later I drew a cow tag and I arrowed a lone cow, toughest thing I have ever tried to eat. I got the tooth info back and learned she was 13 years old. My buddy got a 2 y/o bull and again it was great, then he shot a cow elk and you couldn't chew the burger. It was also aged by the tooth at 12 y/o. Shoot the youngster!!