Colorado DIY Backpacking hunt help

captchet

FNG
New to the forum and new to elk hunting. Hunted 3rd rifle last year in CO 67. Got mtn bit and fell in love with the mountains. (wife actually agrees we should move west when I retire from the FD in a year or so) A long awaited DIY OTC backpack hunt into the back country is coming to fruition. I have 2 buddies all-in on a 2017 hunt. So here is what I am asking, please keep in mind I am not asking for UTM co-ords for someones honey-hole, just a bit of general guidance. I do not want to end up bow hiking....

We are looking for OTC, backpacking/bivy style hunting (no car hunting), away from the crowds for a meat hunt. 5-8 days hunting. Does not have to be a trophy or even a bull. We will all have either sex tags. I have already started getting gear together. Need to upgrade from backpacking gear. We are coming from Pa and will not be able to scout boots on the ground. We all take fitness pretty serious and are in good shape (for East of the Mississippi, lol) I have been using google earth and CO Hunting Atlas to look at some areas.

Can anyone offer some guidance on areas we should look at? PM me if possible.

Thanks and good luck to those chasing elk this season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you want to do the packing in thing just for the experience? I mean I'm all onboard for getting the "entire experience" on an elk hunt, but if any elk will do I'd absolutely do a truck camp and cover as much different territory as you can until you fill your tags. Only reason I'm packing in 5 miles is for a trophy bull. On the other hand, some of my best trophy hunting has been within a mile of the truck. So I can understand the "just going for the experience" thing, but if meat was my objective I'd truck camp.

kpk

WKR
After being out there last year, I agree with what 5milesback said. We were able to drive a LONG ways in and then set up camp and went from there but even the trucks were so far back that we were pretty much committed to staying in the area.

Covering as much ground/area as possible seems the way to go if you're looking to fill a freezer. On my next trip if spot A doesn't look promising I'll be packing up and heading a few miles down the road.

OP
C

captchet

FNG
I guess that did not come out on paper as my brain was thinking it. We are looking to kill bulls but will be hunting with either sex tags. If someone kills early we still have 2 tags left. We are not specifically targeting trophy bulls. Where should we start looking, maroon bells, pagosa springs, 53, etc?

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
You'll probably want to fence in what your group's requirements are now or the information overload will frustrate you. It did me at least. Think about what altitude you want to camp and play at, herd size, sex ratios, success ratios and the ruggedness your group is comfortable with. Colorado provides almost too much information so use it to your advantage. Couple CDOW's information with sites like this diyhuntingmaps.com and you'll be able to pick a few areas and go from there. Look for areas you can park, is the hunt area up hill in both directions, etc and then you'll land on your favorite place to start. That is what I did and then started talking to others Rokslide members this summer who hunted the area and also exchanged emails with the area's biologist. I leave a week from tomorrow very stoked.

Elk, Deer, and Antelope Hunting Colorado | DIY Hunting Maps

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Where should we start looking, maroon bells, pagosa springs, 53, etc?

All of the OTC units west of I-25 have elk in them. Most all of those units have some form of National Forest, BLM, or State Trust land that you can hunt. I'd pick a unit and start scouring the maps of it.

When I base camp I have every public piece of land at my disposal for hunting within 50+ miles of the camp. That will cover an entire unit in most units. Every year you can narrow that down to whatever is comfortable or you've determined to be good elk spots. This isn't a short simple process, it takes years to fully know and understand the dynamics of a unit.

When I pack in, it's because there's a specific bull I'm after......or I just want to hunt a specific area. But then I'm stuck to that specific area for however long I'm back there. If it's loaded with elk every day.......that's great. But if it's not, or they get blown out of that area......I only have one option from there. And that's to pack out and find plan B. Plan B, C, D, E, and F, etc are easier from a base camp.

PTaft

FNG
I don't mean to come off as derogatory, but based on your posts within the thread it seems as though what you're really looking for is a handout on a unit or area. If guys are willing to divulge their spots through PMs that's great, but I've seen first hand what the internet can do to an area. There are tens of thousands of guys trying to figure out where to go in Colorado and someone saying "Maroon Bells or Pagosa Springs has great elk" will see a huge influx of hunters that year. As it's been suggested, I'll offer the same. Go to Colorado Parks and Wildlife and check stats, cross check that with public land available, then against that with topo maps so you can figure out what kind of terrain you guys would be happy with. I can tell you this, I grew up here and in 37 years I haven't found enough places that I'd consider unpressured enough to give them away, maybe some have but I think you might be asking for a little too much.

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
We were/are basically in the same situation as you 1.5 yrs ago (even from PA). Keep doing what you are doing with the online stuff and offline (i.e. training etc.). What I"m seeing is no one will put you on a bull, which I know that's not what you're asking, but I've also gathered is what's there one year my not be there next year. Similarly I've read there's no need for a commitment to be the backcountry miles upon miles to find what you looking for. We are headed out tomorrow and the plan is to have a general plan and keep options open. If you see signs keep pushing until you see/hear something. If you don't be prepared to move on. There are tons of tactics that you need to be familiar with once you get on some. I would familiarize yourself with those. I've read where elk are within a mile of the truck and some that flee immediately to private land upon the slightest pressure. Trying to get away from motorized vehicles puts you in wilderness along with hundreds of your of closest friends! lol There are also things that you cannot control such as weather and fires and even the pine beetle that makes off trail hiking a royal pain. Not to mention packing an animal out through that stuff.

If budget permits, get some good gear. As a backpacker, I am see the hunting community is starting to embrace ultralight technology. Although there is no substitute for some things such as wool, you can trim a lot of weight with sleeping bags, pads, tents, bags etc...

I wish I could count the hours that I've spent on electronics watching videos and reading. Good luck and hopefully I'll have some more information for you when I get back!!

vanish

WKR
You might be better off describing the type of terrain you want to hunt and let us scratch some places off your list. Above treeline glassing? Thick timber calling? Aspen-Sage? Open Country? Pinyon-Juniper?

As has been stated, there's elk in nearly all of western colorado. The question you've asked could be answered as simply as "Look at a map and pick any unit that allows you to hike that 5-8 miles"

The crowds gather at the obvious access points like big trailheads. You don't have to go far off trail to get away from most hunters.

KMT

WKR
Once you are west of I-25, you are pretty much in elk country. You can drive yourself silly trying to find the perfect spot, and most people (myself included) won't tell you where to hunt, especially if it is "their" spot. Start hunting, cover some ground, and eventually you will probably find some. You don't need to pack in 20 miles from the nearest road or have $3,000 worth of equipment and clothing to find elk.

Bigmike68

FNG
Leaving for the Colorado back country from bucks county pa tommrow after work!!! We OTC hunt a wilderness an deep in away from anyone. Will pm you an help ya with any questions you want. It will be our third trip out there driving from PA it's not that bad a drive. Not an expert but can help ya with some general questions.

Last edited:
OP
C

captchet

FNG
Thanks for the input so far. Basically I feel a little better because what we have been doing is what you guys have suggested. It really does get to be "analysis paralysis". We are planning to around treeline or above. We'' ll give any terrain a try, knowing that coming from Pa. we can truly not be fully prepared for the backcountry in CO, but we will be in the best shape possible.

OP
C

captchet

FNG
Ptaft-
Thanks for your candor but I/we are not looking for a handout. I do understand the nature of public forums though. I would also not give up the areas where I have killed 50+ whitetails if you were coming to Pa., especially on an open forum. Just trying to get an idea of how to find that "needle in a stack of needles" from guys who have more experience than I. I appreciate the link you posted. Thanks!

elkyinzer

WKR
Beaver Falls, eh? Guess I can help yinz out a bit.

What weapon you thinking? Some differences in hunting strategies between bow, muzzleloader and rifle. I'm a bow guy, can't be much help with the rifle strategies. Just from hunting the same time it's in season, I can say the CO muzzy hunt is a tremendous hunt especially if your are just looking to fill the freezer. I don't know how those tags don't have better success rates than they do. '

I'll reiterate what I have said and what's been said it seems like 1,000 times on here....Don't think that backpacking or bivvying a few miles in is going to get you "away from the crowds". In CO especially, my experience is that is just the ticket for getting into the crowds. Not that elk and crowds don't coexist in Colorado, because the do. There's a lot of people and a lot of elk.

Backpack hunting is super cool these days, not to mention the heavy hiker use. Don't think you can out-backpack anyone either because then you get into the horse camps. The wilderness areas are only getting busier by the year. That said, if your motivations are to do that kind of hunt because it's just what fires you up about it, then have at it.

If it is solitude you seek, getting away from the crowds in my experience is all about just upping the pain in the ass factor. Long drives from towns. Shitty roads. Confusing land ownership. Steep climbs. Bushwhacking. Poor hunter success rates. These are some of the things I look for and that's about the best info I can give you.