Colorado G13

Solohntr

FNG
Drew my first season goat rifle tag for unit G13. Anyone with any experience of this unit hunting goats. I've elk hunted nearby but no experience with goats. I will start scouting in a few weeks and through the summer. Any input appreciated. Take care.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I had G13 2nd season tag in 2014. Goats can move around and some predictability on what pushes goats from one basin to another. Weather is a factor. You can buy a map of reported goat harvest locations in G13 but does not show month/day. You can also plot the locations by reviewing F&G annual harvest reports.

I hunted out of the reservoir campground which has two outhouses and a lake stocked with trout. You can drive south a mile or so and sometimes see goats along that basin. You can hike east from the campground and sometimes see goats. You can hike west and sometimes see goats. The hikes are steep and air us then. Hydrate.

Alternatively you can camp on the east side of the Divide where are no less than 3 areas that hold goats that you can often spot from a road. If hike, can glass more basins than just those from the roads.

I chose to focus west of Divide so could fish. Fewer goats and most are found as hike on the West.

Look at average horn length in G13 harvest stats. If looking for a 6" billy then should fill your tag in 3 days if can day hike the steep stuff. If want 8" or bigger then need to look at a lot of goats. I am not sure if I saw an 8" billy there. They are in there, though.

kwikfish

FNG
Solo-

I drew this tag and killed in 2008, much of the unit can be scouted off the road system. If you have the first season tag and locate billies prior to the season they'll be in the same general area on opening morning. Don't set you sights to high, goats grow slowly in this high elevation unit. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has a good online guide to determining billies vs nanny's. Don't try to live out of a pack for a week in the high country and slog it out for a goat. Rather pack light and spend a night or two working pre scouted goats, if a stalk doesn't work out head back to the truck and to the next spot you've located goats. If you want specifics shoot me a pm. I was in great shape for this hunt and it kicked my ass, pace yourself and have plenty of time to enjoy the hunt.

Nelsone

FNG
Solo-

I hunted sheep in this area last fall, spent 17 days exploring the unit. Saw plenty of goats, upwards of 20 some days. I'd be happy to share some of what I learned. Send me a PM and we can set something up if you'd like. Good luck & enjoy the entire process, it's a special place to be up high during the fall!