Colorado hunt cut short

john_tn

FNG
This was my second elk hunt and my partners first. We got to our hunting spot and saw six bulls and about 14 cows. Hunted the morning then he tells me he can't handle it... It's too rough and he couldn't breathe. We tried hunting closer to the road at lower elevations but there were no elk. He said he just wanted to go home he was feeling sick. I've never been so pissed in my life, ruined my second elk. Anyone had a similar experience with a partner?

This is one of the reasons why I hunt alone. A couple years a go my dad came out on a deer hunt. After one night out he wanted to go home and hunt from the house. I didnt know where to go as I dont hunt that way. I tried my best to find some deer in areas we could hike daily but he never did get a shot.

I would have dropped him off at the closest cheap hotel and said see you on my way home! No way would I cut a hunt short because the dude was too lazy to prepare properly.

Joe

And you went home???!!! This situation falls in the "tough shit" category. When we go deep sea fishing, we have had buddies puking in the first hour. Might sound kind of Dickey, but we stay out ALL day long, just as planned, and they suffer. I would have dropped him off under a tree with a tent and told him when you would be back. Or better yet, tell him to call someone to come get him. No sympathy....

Poser

WKR
This was my second elk hunt and my partners first. We got to our hunting spot and saw six bulls and about 14 cows. Hunted the morning then he tells me he can't handle it... It's too rough and he couldn't breathe. We tried hunting closer to the road at lower elevations but there were no elk. He said he just wanted to go home he was feeling sick. I've never been so pissed in my life, ruined my second elk. Anyone had a similar experience with a partner?

How far did y'all drive to get there?

On a related note, a friend of mine once put together a elk hunt in Idaho with some first timers. He thoroughly explained that everyone understood they were in camp for 7- 10 days minimum. He flew out and the rest of the guys drove out. The plan was for him to ride back with the group. On the 2nd day, everyone tagged out but my friend. When he returned to camp in the 3rd day, they had all packed up and informed him they were heading back East, if he cared to join them. He, of course, had no choice in the matter and had to spend 3 days straight in a vehicle with these guys, fuming mad the whole time.

dotman

WKR
There are airports in CO, that's complete bs, he should refund your expenses. IMO that guy is no friend.

I brought a first timer last year. He did no training as where i did, he had never been in the mountains either. We went on a hike to show him around and he just disappeared. I waited and waited for him. He came back to camp later and was happier than crap. Couldnt keep him in camp for nothing. It was funny when we packed in amd he was hung over though!!!

Oh, no he didn't! I'd take him to a lower elevation, he could have a nice camping trip for a couple days while you kill one of those 6 bulls you saw. Then I'd eat some back strap in front of him.

I would have taken his ass to a hotel and told him i would pick him up on the way home..

blackdawg

WKR
I am taking two flatlanders out west for 10 days. They have rejected the option to drive second vehicle. If someone decides they need to go home to momma, they will be dropped off at nearest airport with their equipment. I have made it very clear and will stand by my guns, not going home even if tagged out, will sit in camp, eat backstrap and enjoy the scenery till the time is up.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
There are airports in CO, that's complete bs, he should refund your expenses. IMO that guy is no friend.
I considered dropping him off at an airport or leaving him in the truck. Problem is I'm not sure I could manage a solo hunt as deep as I needed to go to find elk. So I made the 21 hour drive back to tn, I've never been so pissed

dotman

WKR
I considered dropping him off at an airport or leaving him in the truck. Problem is I'm not sure I could manage a solo hunt as deep as I needed to go to find elk. So I made the 21 hour drive back to tn, I've never been so pissed

HopefullY there is never a next time but I would of hunted closer, plenty of elk closer to the roads. So I'm guessing you two haven't talked since returning.

WyoElk

WKR
When everyone talks about the metal toughness this is what they mean. Lots of guys can talk a real big game on the Internet, buy all the greatest gear, and tell stories, but if they don't have their head in the right place none of it matters. Sorry you got shorted.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Did you just meet this guy? I just can't imagine a situation in which one of my hunting partners would ask to go home, unless it was a serious issue. And if I had a buddy so sick he wanted to go home, I'd be more concerned about my friendship than my hunt.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I dropped the dude off at the airport and spent the rest of the trip hunting closer to the roads. It wasn't my ideal type of hunt, but I was hunting. Long story short, I hauled his gear and deer back for him and he didn't even give me a bag of ground meat. Needless to say, I've never done anything with him again and we haven't talked for a couple years. I feel your pain.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
I've known him for years. He was started complaining about it being too hard about 100 yards up the trail, after one morning of hunting we came out to hunt by the road. The next day he said he was done hunting it was too hard, then he developed a very mild cough and said he thought he had bronchitis. So we went home

Not nearly as bad, but I was on a backpacking trip in MT this summer and had a friend say he wanted to leave a day early. I had to put my foot down and was a little pissed he would even ask. He had come unprepared and forgot some of his stuff (including his tent poles) and I didn't realize that he was such a helpless wienie. Needless to say he won't be getting an invite next year. I'd even be pissed having to take someone down to Denver let alone coming all the way home. I'm with everyone else; I'd have dropped him off at DIA and I'd even still be pissed at that.