Colorado hunt cut short

This didn't happen to me, but this one fellow I work with went hunting with two other guys. They took X's camper over to stay in which sure made it nice to sleep in and have a hot meal. Only thing is X would not let anyone else piss or do a business in his campers bathroom! He used it all the time but they had to go out in the back woods to use the bathroom! Not a huge deal, but what kind of mental giant is so afraid of someone else sitting on his throne that he would not let someone else use it.

I hunted with this putz a few years before this and have never hunted with him since. We went over to an area I've antelope hunted all of my life. We stayed at my grandmother's trailer and she would fix us dinner at nights. She loved the company and it was great to visit with her. X did not draw an antelope tag but he wanted to take his bird dog to hunt birds with. Great so we get there a couple days before antelope opens and hunt birds like crazy for a couple days and have a blast. Antelope numbers were down so when I saw the first antelope I was going to shoot it and I was not going to be picky. Opening morning I spot a lone buck and put a sneak on him. One shot later and 30 minutes into opening morning I'm all done hunting antelope. We take the rest of the morning to take care of antelope and hunt some more birds. Go to a spot later and see that the elk are still bugling like crazy. We have our bows and elk licenses. I say to X, hey lets go hunt elk in the morning. He gets flat out PISSED and starts foaming at the mouth and tells me that he didn't bring his dog 350 miles so he could sit in the pickup.

Funny but we were staying with a relative of mine in a comfortable environment and being fed dinners and we had someplace to shower. We hunted birds almost exclusively and for several days except for my 30 minute antelope hunt. We hunted on friends places that I have known my whole life and where my father grew up. I was driving my truck to boot! Now this guy calls his wife foaming at the mouth and potty mouths me to his wife. Once we get home he potty mouths me to all of his friends. Honestly I have no idea what he could possibly be saying that I did that was so horrible. He acted like a 10 year old kid throwing a temper tantrum. Last time I ever hunted with that JERK !!

This thread makes me think that maybe this should be talked about up front with hunting partners. "What if" it's too physical for one of us, or one of us gets sick, or whatever.. Good to have a contingency plan, and if it's talked about ahead of time it's not that big of a deal.

Pretty much like everything, a little communication goes a long ways.

This was my second elk hunt and my partners first. We got to our hunting spot and saw six bulls and about 14 cows. Hunted the morning then he tells me he can't handle it... It's too rough and he couldn't breathe. We tried hunting closer to the road at lower elevations but there were no elk. He said he just wanted to go home he was feeling sick. I've never been so pissed in my life, ruined my second elk. Anyone had a similar experience with a partner?
No. both myself and hunting parter train for the hunt months in advance. Our issue is can't get tag anymore to our old spot

I few years back I had 2 friends go elk hunting together. 4 days after the left i saw one of them in town. I said "thought you were going elk hunting" he says we did but neither of us could handle it so we came home. They couldnt have actually been hunting for more than 10hrs since that 4 days included driving across 2 states.

In my mind i was just making mental notes to never plan a trip with either of them.

I'm fortunate to have a great elk hunting partner, we are usually on the same page game plan wise, arent afraid to work our asses off, and have a great time no matter the situation.

Stuff happens. Altitude sickness can be very serious, however, dropping in elevation almost always takes care of it.

Two problems I see: your buddy didn't just say get me a motel room in town and you go hunt, and you didn't tell your buddy get a motel room in town and I'll go hunt.

You don't have to be six miles from a the trailhead to kill elk.

Well I have to ask if you were solo on your first hunt or did you hunt with someone with elk experience? if you already said I must of missed it. There seems to be something missing to this story, maybe you were doubting yourself on being out there alone and now to cover your doubt and make yourself feel better you are devoting your anger solely on your worthless, selfish friend! your "option" to leave was not something most experienced confident people would have done. There is good news, you didn't do something that you weren't mentally ready to do and that shows "good judgement" and you can take that to the bank, tell that to your next partner they will appreciate your being straight up! killing and packing an elk solo is not an easy task if there is any doubt, you probably made a good choice and just need to look in the mirror to make your next move. Best of luck in the future!

If this isn't the case you have my apologies, it's just the way it reads to me.

Some good stuff being written for future hunts to be...as noted goes to show communication and discussion before the big event go along way...kind of like a marriage, no communication and it will fail...we only gets so many elk hunts you don't want to miss one or have it end like this one because no one brought up questions that should be asked before the hunt.

I wouldn't of driven him back. Lower elevation, hotel room, airport, etc.

I'm fortunate to have a few lifelong hunting partners that I would trust to go with in any situation. I'm not a guy that claims to have lots of friends. The friend word is used too loosely in my opinion. But the 3 or 4 I call true lifelong friends make me appreciate them and the 20+ years of hunting memories.

Well I have to ask if you were solo on your first hunt or did you hunt with someone with elk experience? if you already said I must of missed it. There seems to be something missing to this story, maybe you were doubting yourself on being out there alone and now to cover your doubt and make yourself feel better you are devoting your anger solely on your worthless, selfish friend! your "option" to leave was not something most experienced confident people would have done. There is good news, you didn't do something that you weren't mentally ready to do and that shows "good judgement" and you can take that to the bank, tell that to your next partner they will appreciate your being straight up! killing and packing an elk solo is not an easy task if there is any doubt, you probably made a good choice and just need to look in the mirror to make your next move. Best of luck in the future!

If this isn't the case you have my apologies, it's just the way it reads to me.
I always had the option to go solo... My friend even said I could drop him at the airport. I actually looked into solo hunting before we left because he had backed out earlier then changed his mind. Solo hunting isn't something I really want to do especially in the remote rugged area we were hunting. Not even sure i had the proper gear for a solo hunt. I didn't buy a $626 license planning to go on a solo hunt. That said I should have been prepared to go solo if the need be. Next year I'm going to prepare for a solo hunt and if I find a hunting partner that's just icing on the cake.

Just my opinion, but you should ALWAYS have a plan to go on/complete a hunt by yourself. Doing otherwise is setting yourself up for what happened here.

Have a couple of backup areas that you can hunt solo in the hopper.

Anymore, I plan a hunt based on what I can do by myself, then invite my hunting buddy/buddies along. If they go, great. If not, no big deal. I'll go by myself.

Had a best friend that I hunted with for years. Then he slowly changed and was grew less interested in hunting. He would want to go, then hurry and get back home. The last time we hunted together, he waits until we are on the mountain about 6 hours from home, and a 5 day hunt planned, to tell me he has to be back Sunday afternoon and if possible would like to go to town on Saturday to be able to watch a football game at his brothers house.

I hunted solo in between trips with my friend and as he changed I just quit relying on others. I like having someone to hunt with and there are definitely times when having help would be nice, but I would rather hunt solo and know my limitations and expectations, then me angry at bad situations that seem to happen sometimes.

I was actually the guy that got sick once (they were 3 of us) and had to get off the mountain. I went to a lower elevation got a hotel and rented a car. I was in bed for a full day. I made the best of the situation but NOWAY was I going to keep my other friends from their hunt. I felt bad about my situation and I did have to get one friend to help me but he got back to his hunt right away. I have no idea why I got sick and it has not happened since even at higher altitudes..

Consideration is the name of the game but never assume others will do what is right-you need to discuss all details and even then have a back up plan. I usually do drive separate-even long distances now just in case. I probably hunt 80% solo now.

Just my opinion, but you should ALWAYS have a plan to go on/complete a hunt by yourself. Doing otherwise is setting yourself up for what happened here.

Have a couple of backup areas that you can hunt solo in the hopper.

Anymore, I plan a hunt based on what I can do by myself, then invite my hunting buddy/buddies along. If they go, great. If not, no big deal. I'll go by myself.

This is very wise, and you will enjoy hunting more if adopt this mindset.

I told my 16 yr old sons I had no issue leaving them at the truck for 2 weeks if they pussed out....we are heading out for their first big game hunt in Oct.

I had a bad experience hunting with a group of guys during archery one year.....selecting people to go out west with is not something to take lightly.

Back