Colorado OTC Archery Honey Holes!

Hi everyone, newbie to the forum here from Michigan. Hope everyone that made it out Elk hunting or otherwise last season had an enjoyable experience. I was lucky enough to tag my first archery bull in Colorado GMU 12 last September. That being said, I had 10 points, which I burned for a 4 point area in order to hunt with other family members with lesser points. This was my second Colorado Elk hunt in the last 10 years, both of which were in limited draw units. I had no prior boots on the ground scouting of either unit prior to the start of each 10 day hunt and both were DIY with little to no inside knowledge. I consider myself an avid online scouter and study topo and aerial maps in great detail before the hunt. Therefore, I feel that those efforts played a large part in my success in getting on elk within the first day on both occasions. I also put in over 7 miles per day in the first week to narrow down where the elk were in the particular areas we hunted.

All that being said, I am planning on another DIY OTC archery hunt in Colorado next fall. This will obviously be my first OTC hunt and looking for good information on units and particular honey holes and will of course share mine for units 12 and 67. I realize what I'm asking for and many obviously wouldn't be willing to give up their secret spot.

As for my style and hunt plan, I plan on hunting with a single partner and backcountry spike camp etc. on public land. Not affraid to get into the backcountry 5-10 miles (just like everyone else these days). I realize most OTC units are overrun with hunters. I would really like to find an area with some Wilderness solitude, high elevation, deep dark timber that nobody else likes to hunt and of course good numbers of quality elk (not trophies). If such an area outside of limited draw even exists. I have read some information about units 421, 521, 25, 14 and 22 being relatively good OTC hunting. Any help in narrowing down my search would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tim

OP
MIfirefighter
Hey, I realize it’s a long shot but then again, you can’t blame a guy for trying. I would certainly feel the same way about giving up too much info on whitetail hunting in Michigan. That being said, there’s always someone looking to hunt a particular unit that will be willing to give up some info in trade.

Well your ahead of me, I'm still unsuccessful after 3 hunts. The two otc units I hunted were both tuff in different ways. One was in low sage country where there weren't many elk in September. The other had 30 camps in a half mile of road. Saw 13 hunters the first day 3 to 4 miles in. Good luck every unit has elk,

Backyard

WKR
/\/\ Go 10 and you will run into people that came in 5 from the opposite direction. There is no safe place anymore. You just have to hunt and deal with the pressure.

Or you’re sure to hit the TH on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MIfirefighter
Thanks everyone. I did manage to get what I believe is some good info from someone. Looks like good wilderness country with difficult access on the west side of the CD. Looking forward to checking it out further.

ColoradoV

WKR
Hell for 4K I will give you pics and gps locations a week before the opener.

Yep why not it is only otc units.

Any punters? Feel free to pm me.

Best way to get honey is with $$$$!!

Maverick1

WKR
Unit 421: 541
Unit 521: 508
Unit 25: 232
Unit 14: 408
Unit 22: 988
= 2,677

2,677 Square miles. You pretty well have it narrowed down. For sure you will be able to find elk that honey hole.

Good luck!