Colorado OTC Unit 75

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I had a hunt lined up in New Mexico on private land that fell through, so I’m moving on to plan B, which is an OTC hunt in Colorado. I’ll be driving in from Texas, so I’m interested in the southwestern OTC units, specifically 75. I’ve been looking at maps and have a few spots picked out that I think may hold elk. But I have a few general questions if anyone can help me out.

I’m thinking of going during 3rd rifle. I’ve never experienced Colorado at this time of year. What type of weather should I be prepared for? Second, most all the spots I have picked out are 9000 feet plus in elevation. If there is snow on the ground, will the elk even be that high up? I’m worried that I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Finally, I am not prepared as far as food, water, and shelter go, as I was preparing for a private land hunt with a bunk house. Is unit 75 a unit that can be hunted while staying at a hotel in town, or should I be scrambling to find a tent and sleeping bag? Truck camping is fine with me. I’m prepared to walk in as far as needed every day. I just need some pointers on the logistics of this hunt. Thanks to anyone that can help me. If you’d like to PM to keep any info off the interwebs, that would be great. Again, I don’t need any specific info, as I’ve got a few areas of interest picked out. I just need to know if I’m on the right track and help with logistics.

Never hunted that unit but at 9000 feet wheater will change drastically and quickly. If theres snow at higher elevation it will push the elk down to lower levels. Last thing it will be a complete hit or miss if it snows or not. I was out for 1st rifle last year. My group and I got snowed out with blizzard conditions in the north part of the state, word was it was the same everywhere. 2nd rifle no snow all week, crazy hot and sun all day everyday, same for 3rd rifle. With weather here in Colorado you're not going to know what you're going to get especially at these higher elevations. So be prepared for anything and everything

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
If you can’t come up with a heated tent you should be finding the closest motel. It can be very crappy weather, or very nice.

TexZ

FNG
We're hunting 1st rifle in 75. I don't have enough posts to PM yet, but feel free to follow up with me closer to your hunt and I'll be happy to give you a report on conditions we see in Oct.

Lived there, lol. parts of 75 extend into private. Depending on where you go and snowfall, a lot of elk frequently move onto the private by that time. but not all. As for camping, you will need to bring water, 4 season tent or even better an outfitters tent or floorless shelter so you can have a heat source or stove, easy way to eat is freeze dried meals (not the best but fast) and you will need a 4 wheel drive due to the dirt roads which get bad in the snow. You can stay in motels but it;s typically a minimum of a 1 plus hour drive to get to where you park, then you have a 1 to 2 hour hike depending on where you go to get away from other hunters. Note: I only archery hunt that unit but I have carried an animal or two out of there for friends and have seen a good amount of hunting camps during rifle seasons, when it snows the roads are a pain. There are several outfitters that can pack out of there you may want to call and check on their services. good luck