Colorado season changes

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to burn my points in Colorado for an early archery mule deer soon. I know this next year they will over look all the season dates as it’s been 9/2 for an opener with this next season being the 5th year…. Any hopes in an earlier opener after this year? Just started looking at Colorado as an option when they made it a later hunt 4 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Highly doubt it will change from the 9/2 start. Not going to tell you what to do, but if it were me I would get out of the points game. NR tags will see a 10% reduction in 2025, and I wouldn’t wait for another year of late rut hunts to continue to smash the age structure here

OP
I

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your guys advice and thank you! For those that have hunted the 9/2 opener are you guys still seeing bucks in velvet and out of the timber?? Where I hunt in Idaho and Oregon by about the 4th they are hard horned and heading into the timber

I have seen plenty of velvet bucks well into September. I can't say whether they are in the open alpine or not, I mostly hunt lower.

Like the others, I would not expect a return to the late August opener. It was talked about some a couple years ago, but I don't think it's been much of a topic recently. In my opinion, the CPW likes the "easy button" aspect of the common opener.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It depends on the year, really depends on the moisture. I would say your best chance is obviously the first 5 days or so. Depending on the year I have seen them fuzzy for the first 10 days of Sept but after that usually all hard horned and out of the high stuff

I appreciate your guys advice and thank you! For those that have hunted the 9/2 opener are you guys still seeing bucks in velvet and out of the timber?? Where I hunt in Idaho and Oregon by about the 4th they are hard horned and heading into the timber

Week of muzzy they are starting to shed

Highly doubt it will change from the 9/2 start. Not going to tell you what to do, but if it were me I would get out of the points game. NR tags will see a 10% reduction in 2025, and I wouldn’t wait for another year of late rut hunts to continue to smash the age structure here
I thought it was 2024, are you sure it is not until 2025? I hope you are right!!!!!

cnelk

WKR
Here’s the timeline for the next BGSS

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep what Big antler said. I expect little to no changes with the season dates, but they may surprise me. As much as I have enjoyed hunting the MD rut I believe it would be better for the deer and the age structure to go back to only 4th rifle being a “rut” hunt

2025 will be the new changes! 2024 will be on the same schedule as the past 4 years. New season structure is 2025-2029. 5 year increments

Thanks, I had am employee at the Grand Junction office tell me the season dates, duration of the hunt would all stay the same until 2025. However, he said the tag cuts would go into effect on 2024. They even led me to an article on their website that said it would be in 2024?
Screenshot_20231214_201031_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20231214_201145_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
2024 Tag allotments will be posted shortly after the application deadline.
Usually by the end of April.

I seriously doubt there will be any archery elk/deer season date changes to the start date.
The CPW wanted it to align with the start of bear season and that season start date can’t be changed.

Any thoughts on my above posts where it says non-resident alottment will change in 2024. It is very strange. Almost everybody I talked to including many employees of CPW had no idea this was going to happen, yet it is in writing that it will.

It seems very strange that this is not widely known. The majority of the CPW employees said it wasn't happening yet there it is in writing. What is going on?? Randy Newberg did a clip on YouTube where he mentioned all the upcoming changes for Colorado and he did not mention this. I contacted him through his forum and he said he had not heard they were going to do it.

Yeah Colorado is very very fair I would be excited if I were you as well

Lots misinformation going around kinda like scare tactics.

Yes some tags may be cut this year again especially in NW, CPW Will cut and regulate tags as needed for wildlife. As far as cutting non resident tags this year and changing tag quotes between resident and non resident won’t happen til the 2025 season structure. They’re most likely not going to go to all draw or cut OTC tags this year especially with a new season structure a year away and being talked about and surveyed.

I’m going to say most likely from what I’ve heard about the BGSS focus group that many OTC is going away. Probably for everyone, or they will do OTC with caps for residents and non residents. There is a lot of debate and question of why OTC is needed at all, and no one has a legit reason for even having OTC besides giving everyone a tag or having larger harvest on animals. It’s not a management tool to bring back herds, like many are failing. So I’m betting especially with all the CPW just wants money and the CPW can’t fix the herds they already destroyed, they’re going to cut tags, and focus on wildlife… all they have to do is go full draw, put resident non resident at 75/25, and cut tag numbers: at that point no one would have a fight of just out for money or they don’t care about herds, sure residents would cry they aren’t getting babied and taken care of but that’s me me me issue not a wildlife issue.

Lots misinformation going around kinda like scare tactics.

Yes some tags may be cut this year again especially in NW, CPW Will cut and regulate tags as needed for wildlife. As far as cutting non resident tags this year and changing tag quotes between resident and non resident won’t happen til the 2025 season structure. They’re most likely not going to go to all draw or cut OTC tags this year especially with a new season structure a year away and being talked about and surveyed.

I’m going to say most likely from what I’ve heard about the BGSS focus group that many OTC is going away. Probably for everyone, or they will do OTC with caps for residents and non residents. There is a lot of debate and question of why OTC is needed at all, and no one has a legit reason for even having OTC besides giving everyone a tag or having larger harvest on animals. It’s not a management tool to bring back herds, like many are failing. So I’m betting especially with all the CPW just wants money and the CPW can’t fix the herds they already destroyed, they’re going to cut tags, and focus on wildlife… all they have to do is go full draw, put resident non resident at 75/25, and cut tag numbers: at that point no one would have a fight of just out for money or they don’t care about herds, sure residents would cry they aren’t getting babied and taken care of but that’s me me me issue not a wildlife issue.

Thanks for the response. Those documents I shared are right off the CPW website. The CPW employee said they are indeed changing the alottment to 75/25Are you saying they are incorrect? I don't know why they have them posted if they are not correct. Don't get me wrong, I am praying that you are right.