Colorado Unit 61 2nd season

lineman21

FNG
Full disclosure: This is my first post on Rokslide. I hate that I am asking advice on my first post but I hope to become a solid contributor to this forum.

About me: I'm a 31 year old father of 2 (2 year old and 4 year old). I am an electrical lineman in southwestern Nebraska. I run some cattle with my Dad on his farm on the side. My passion is hunting and trapping. I have been elk hunting the last 9 years (archery only) and love it.

Now on to it. I wasn't able to make my annual bow hunt in unit 62 (Colorado) due to family and work. I've been trying for unit 61 tags on the reissue list every week and yesterday was fortunate enough to get a 61 2nd season bull tag. I obviously know unit 62 next door and have spent many nights camping near divide road listening to bugles from 61 all night. I know what kind of terrain to expect and am in good shape so that's not a concern.

I'm hoping since this isn't a unit people hunt regularly I could get some help with an area to start out hunting. This is short notice being a reissue tag. I plan to get there a day or two early to scout as well. I will be hunting all season. If anyone has any info on a packer in the area I would appreciate it as well.

This is my first rifle elk hunt and I'm really feeling lucky to have recieved this tag. Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated!

mdoolin

FNG
I've helped on a first rifle hunt in 61 a few years back. We focused on Big Red canyon and found several really nice 330-350 bulls running around. It is big country but you should be able to find some nice bulls.