Colorado unit 66 1st rifle elk

chops24

WKR
DJacker I'm new to the fourms and can't figure out how to PM you. Had a few questions about your hunt if you don't mind helping out a local MN guy.

Thanks,

I believe you have to be a member for at least a week with at least 10 posts to be able to PM someone. you know, someone who participates here and doesnt just come here to ask for charity.

MikeM06

FNG
I believe you have to be a member for at least a week with at least 10 posts to be able to PM someone. you know, someone who participates here and doesn't just come here to ask for charity.
Gotta start somewhere... Cant participate if you don't know about the forum...

Djacker, Appreciate the feedback and like I mentioned in the PM if you ever go unit 70 look me up. I will help you out. Thanks,

Me and my hunting buddies have hunted 4th cow in 70 over the past 4 years. With some success.

We are going to spend our 3 points and get a first rifle tag in 66 in hopes to get something on the wall an not just the freezer.

Could we expect to hear some bugling in first rifle or is all of that over with and the bulls tucked in dark timber by first season in this unit or similar units?

Hey guys

I'm new to the forum and have a 1st rifle elk tag in Colorado unit 66. I've never hunted Colorado before, I've hunted AZ unit 23 late, MT general season and NM unit 22. Id be willing to share any knowledge of those units if anyone is willing to share any words of wisdom with me about unit 66. If not happy hunting to all!!
This country is TOUGH. My friends and I are in good elk shape and this unit kicked out butts. It was a lot of fun.

Take a look at the success rates. In 2016 the success rate was 31% for muzzy hunters and 16% for 1st rifle hunters on bulls. 16% is lower than a lot of OTC units, and unit 66 doesn't generally grow super big bulls. Residents can draw that 1st rifle tag with 0 points almost guaranteed but most would rather hunt OTC and save their points for a better hunt. That 1st rifle hunt is not an easy hunt at all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a great hunt and shoot a giant. There's plenty of elk in 66 but they're much harder to hunt during the rifle seasons.
Really that’s it? Those are no better than a Wyoming general license and a tag up there is good for a month of archery and the entire gun season. I love the Colorado threads. Makes me glad I never grew any roots down there.

I recently have been hit up on PMs by quite a few newbies wanting unit specific advice. I used to be pretty open about giving advice, but it does seem that some people on this forum are just wanting handouts on where to hunt.