Compact Binos for Eastern Turkey - Opinions Needed!

Cutwater

FNG
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new pair of binoculars to use during turkey season. I’ve been using the Maven B1.2, but I find them a bit too large for my liking, especially since I often run and gun, and need something more compact and portable.

I'm considering the Maven B3 and the Maven B7 models. Both seem like they could be a good fit, but I’m looking for insights from those who might have experience with either (or both) of these models in similar hunting situations.

Could anyone share their experiences regarding the size, weight, and overall portability of these models? Additionally, how do they perform in terms of clarity and low light conditions? Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t add much on these models. I was wanting to get something smaller than my 10x42’s for turkey and deer in the Midwest. I still ended up with 42’s but went with EL 8.5x42 for the FOV and low light performance. They were great during this years turkey season.

TN2shot07

WKR
I absolutely love my B3’s, I have the 8x30’s and they are almost always my go to during deer season here.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I won’t use anything smaller than a 10x for turkeys and bow hunting. I used Leupold Cascade 10x42s for over a decade. Now I use Swaro 10x42 SLCs. I’ve never thought that any of them were too big or too much magnification.

Kurts86

WKR
I like the 8x30 B3’s a lot. My experience is that I’ve never found a binocular with smaller than a 30mm objective useful or comfortable. I also dislike how most pocket binoculars go to a double pivot design to save space.

My turkey binocular of choice are Swarovski CL 8x30’s over my SLC 10x42’s. That said I wouldn’t feel handicapped with Maven B3’s.

Cyril

FNG
Like others, have th B3's 8x30 and like them. Great value. For me, if money was no issue I would have gone with Zeiss SFL 8x40. Definitely bulkier and heavier than the B3 but better glass particularly in low light. I don't think it is necessary for turkey hunting but that is just my opinion.

Macintosh

WKR
I really, really like pocket size binos. In the east I mainly use it for still hunting/tracking to pick apart deadfalls and brushpiles and look into shadows ahead sub 100 yards, to id if a deer is shoot/dont shoot as it approaches before it gets into bow range, and for turkey hunting to verify beard through brush. Its all at sub 100 yards, and mostly sub 50 yards, but makes a huge difference that I cannot accomplish without magnification. Ive used a handful of brands, nothing alpha quality, but zeiss conquest, some decent nikons, etc. currently have a set of x28mm cheapies that I like the size and form, but image quality sucks. I like the small size for climbing with a tree stand, and because they are less obtrusive carrying my rifle on a chest sling. I specifically went to these because x40’s were too big. I like 8’s. The field of view is very helpful at such close range, and the edge to edge clarity also helps with that. Dusk in the woods is awful dark, so light gathering is also important. Ive heard good things about the compact mavens, but I’ll be tempted to spend to alpha level next time I get a pair. I also intensely dislike the double-hinge models.

Macintosh

WKR
Alpha= term used to refer to the absolute top tier of optics, generally considered to include ONLY the likes of swaro, top of the line zeiss models, and maybe a tiny handful of other brands such as leica, hensoldt, etc depending on who you ask.

Scottf270

WKR
I always have my Leica rangefinder when turkey hunting. I hunt a mix of fields and woods. Also turkey hunt out West and can get some longer shots. The Leica is 7x and I use them instead of carrying binos.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have B3s and like them a lot.

But if you’d agree the glass doesn’t have to be “great” for turkeys, I’d consider looking at Sig 8x32 RF (kilo 6k). I hunted turkeys with them last week and did great. Plus for archery I need RF anyway. And on top of that they are awesome for LR target shooting/hunting for dope and ranging. They are my go to for competitions and work well when “the best glass” isn’t required. Compliment a spotter well too.