Compound Bow Upgrade?

Thanks for the input on the Bear Archery bow. At this point in my life I have the time to dedicate to shooting, hence one of the reasons to pick up another bow. My hopes are to hunt elk out west for the next 10-15 years. I know this is my first trip coming up, but this is something I can see my self doing every fall. This is the reason I am really thinking of upgrading.
My current Mathews FX has good components on it. I could always strip it down and put them onto a new or newer bare bow. As for working on the bow myself, I am capable, however don’t have a bow press. I don’t have an issue with taking in a bow to have it setup if that the case.

Ok, let’s say I could go as high as $750. Does this put me into a higher end bare bow? I would rather buy a new bow if possible. I could always transfer over components from the FX.
Any suggestions on brands and models to look at?

At 750 you can get pretty much anything. Best advice is to go shoot whatever you can. Cam changes happens mostly in increments so if a new bow feels good the older cam is probably close.

Stay away from 2010-2016 bowtechs. Other than that you can’t really go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 750 you can get pretty much anything. Best advice is to go shoot whatever you can. Cam changes happens mostly in increments so if a new bow feels good the older cam is probably close.

Stay away from 2010-2016 bowtechs. Other than that you can’t really go wrong.

Thanks, I will do that once this virus slows down. As for the bowtech bows 2010-2016, there is a company on eBay selling them with 2019 limbs, new and cheap. I figured from what I read it’s not worth taking the risk.
Any thoughts on the new 2020 carbon icon bow? Looks like a nice bow.
Thanks

Ok, let’s say I could go as high as $750. Does this put me into a higher end bare bow? I would rather buy a new bow if possible. I could always transfer over components from the FX.
Any suggestions on brands and models to look at?

You can buy some great 3-4 year old bows with decent accessories for 750. I prefer my bowtech reign to anything new I’ve shot since and you can find them pretty easily for $550-600. Elite energy is another great model you can find for cheaper yet.

Bows have definitely come a long way in the last 20yrs. I bought a new bow back in 2001 and then in 2013. It was a big improvement in feel and accuracy. I feel it was a combo of both the bow and new accessories. Now i feel the advances in bows are so subtle that needing to upgrade every year really isn’t necessary.

Back in 2000, people killed elk with that very bow your using now and killed elk every year prior to that with bows.

For you, I think alot of factors should go into your decision. What gear you have now and what you need to get yet? How much you will be using this “new” bow? How accurate are you with your current setup? And budget?

If it were me, I would make sure I got all the good gear I need first if I shoot my bow well. If I felt my bow will make the difference in coming home with meat or tag soup, then by all means buy a bow. If you buy, buy something newer and invest in quality accessories. If you do, then you have a bow that you can use for the next decade. $1000+ish for everything broken down over 10yrs is pretty manageable in the grand scheme of things. I feel for me to be successful....it is making sure Im prepared to grind it out in the backcountry for days on end while trying to figure out where the elk are and how I can get close. No matter which bow I carried. Either way you go...Good Luck in September!

Practice is cheap. Get good arrows and quality broadheads. Make sure your arrow set up is heavy enough and your broadheads are cut on contact. Confidence in your set up is priceless. The best bow in the world isn't going to get it done if you choke and can't hit your target.

Thanks, I will do that once this virus slows down. As for the bowtech bows 2010-2016, there is a company on eBay selling them with 2019 limbs, new and cheap. I figured from what I read it’s not worth taking the risk.
Any thoughts on the new 2020 carbon icon bow? Looks like a nice bow.
Thanks

It wouldn’t be my first choice. But I don’t buy new bows. I buy most of mine used a year or so old, but I also have all the equipment needed to do my own work. If you want a new bow, that’s a pretty good one in your price range. Hoyt, Mathews, and Elite also have bows in that price range.

If you’re buying a year or two old bow you can get in under your budget which will leave you some scratch for arrows/accessories.

With that budget all you need to do is get in any decent sized bow shop and have your pick of 2-3 year old bows. Most will set it up for you with purchase. You could find some smoking deals on something like an Elite E35 in that price range and have good rest and sight and still have money to burn.

I would like to thank everyone for your reply’s. I have a lot of things to consider. I already have a great head start on my gear for this fall. I bought the more expensive items first, backpack, packable tent, packable sleeping bag and etc.

Thanks again,

Corey

Just wanted to update and thank everyone again. After extensive research, I ended up buying an new Obession Turmoil 60 lb bow. I also picked up a nice quiver, sights and fall away rest. Everything came in just under my budget of $750. I found a great deal on the bow on eBay.
Now looking forward to getting everything and having it setup.

Back