concerned about sparks burning holes in my tent.

besides spark arrestors, is there any tricks to protecting your tent from getting holes burned in it from the wood stove? Is it a concern or am I worried for nothing?

Never used a wood stove in a tent, but with campfires sparks generally go straight up unless you’re blowing on it aggressively. I’d think with the chimney pipe it would be a non issue.

Geewhiz

WKR
Never owned a hot tent but I have wondered about that myself. I would think from time to time you would end up with hot embers coming down on the tent.

It happens in canvas wall tents, so I imagine it could happen to a teepee style hot tent as well, but the above advice on keeping spark arresters clean and how to patch seems good

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I second the comments about canvas wall tents. BTW, a wood stove in a wall tent on an elk hunt is a great way to live for a week!
Although I don't remember who/what/where, I do know there are some companies that sell an extra cover you can tie on top, as a second, sacrificial roofing layer.

I've spent lots of nights in wall tent with stoves. Hot embers burning holes in your tent is a big problem imo. I know you can patch but sucks to burn holes in such an expensive tent. I started using taller stove pipes and make sure i have a good spark arrestor and it helps.

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
Beware the punky wood. I had never the problem until I loaded the stove with some punky wood a couple years ago. When I answered a call of nature I was surprised to see my stove pipe (no the other one) was blasting sparks like a firework. The next morning I had a fishnet roof around the stove jack.

Northpark

WKR
Hmm. I have a wall tent and a tipi and I haven’t had a spark put a hole in either. I do have spark arrestors on both chimneys which I clean daily so maybe that helps? I just never gave it much thought.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Strange. I’ve spent around 150 nights in my Davis wall tent over the past 12 years. I’ve burned wood almost every one of those nights in my Davis Summit stove, with a spark arrestor. There’s not one hole in my tent’s canvas roof.

Driver79

FNG
besides spark arrestors, is there any tricks to protecting your tent from getting holes burned in it from the wood stove? Is it a concern or am I worried for nothing?
Dampeners make a big difference. Also the type of wood your burn, however there may not be a lot of options of available wood where you set-up. Hardwoods seem to produce less sparks than soft pitchy woods. Not claiming to be an expert but I have noticed a difference. When I test fired my wood stove for the first time I paid close attention to what was coming out the pipe with different types of wood; hardwoods burned much cleaner- especially without bark on it; likely because it produces more heat so there is more complete combustion and less junk going up the pipe. The dampener keeps the heat in the stove and again promotes more complete combustion thus less unburned fliers going up the pipe.

Foxsoup

FNG
Beware the punky wood. I had never the problem until I loaded the stove with some punky wood a couple years ago. When I answered a call of nature I was surprised to see my stove pipe (no the other one) was blasting sparks like a firework. The next morning I had a fishnet roof around the stove jack.

This, good wood goes a very long way with hot tents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I burned holes in my canvas tent and my cimarron using bad wood. Stupid mistake, but lesson learned.