Considering Crossfit

Takeem406

WKR
It's looking like I'll be working in my own town from now through hunting season. We have a Crossfit cult temple and at least one other gym that is set up for it...

I've heard a lot of mixed things on it. And of course all the memes and jokes.

But I have a chick friend of mine who's a marathon runner and one bad@ss athelte. She swears by it and other people who I know say it's the best way to go.

I need something different for training. And I love a schedule and a pattern to follow.

Can someone explain Crossfit to me? I Googled it and half the links are saying Crossfit will wreck my body and then a couple say it will benefit. My friend say the people who get hurt are just idiots who don't know how to lift.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Find a good coach. Learn with light or no weight. Do it 5 times a week. Your body will love you.

Poser

WKR
Really just depends on the box you go to. As it is run on a hands off/ libertarian model, There are virtually no standards in Crossfit. Anyone with a $1,000 to spare and a free weekend can get Xfit certified and open a box. All boxes are free to run whatever fitness program they see fit with 0 influence or guidance from the brand name. There is freedom in that, but there are also people who really don't know what they are doing. The coaches can be hit or miss as well. Many of them are young, inexperienced and think they know everything there is to know because they went to a weekend seminar. In many cases, the coaches are not professionals, merely gum members coaching in exchange for a free membership. There are also great coaches (both professional and non professional) and we'll run facilities. The reality is, you have to choose your box carefully. My city has over 20 Xfit boxes and I'm not sure if I'd be a member at more than 2, possibly 3 of them.

I will say that I have been doing Xfit for a few years, have dropped into numerous boxes while traveling and I have yet to see a serious injury that people always associate with Xfit. Apparently, everyone knows someone who tore their rotator cuff, but I have yet to see it or know anyone personally.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
I was skeptical after coming from a powerlifting/bodybuilding style workout background where my training was planned out for about 3 months at a time, but I decided to give it a try after I moved to Idaho. I got lucky in that I found a gym where the owners/coaches thought like I did with regards to training. We lifted a lot, the conditioning work was smart but hard and not likely to land you in a "crossfit fails" video and I got stronger and faster. It also introduced me to weightlifting (the sport) and that's made a huge change in my life.

TL;DR: check them out, try it, report back here and let the guys that have done it answer questions and see if you like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I've been doing it for about 5 years, I started back when I was still in the Marines. I hate running anything further than about a mile so I really like it because I can get a killer cardio workout in 20 minutes without getting bored. I also swear by it, mixed with some weightlifting.

Land cruiser hit the nail on the head, a good coach will make a world of difference. If you find a coach who doesn't know what they're talking about or how to scale for your capabilities then you might have a bad experience and be turned off to it forever. Learning the movements with little to no weight will build strong foundations in technique and movement patterns that will serve you immensely well when you move to heavier weights as you'll be more efficient.

As for people saying crossfit will wreck your body, there are people out there who get messed up by it because they didn't know what they were doing for sure. But there are also people out there who've been hurt doing it just because injuries happen. Its no different than a guy just doing a traditional weight lifting template and cardio 4 times a week on the treadmill getting hurt for whatever reason, people just bag on crossfit for it because its newer. Its going to cause wear and tear on your body no matter what you do, its just what happens when you do about anything physically demanding. If you take care of yourself with some stretching and rolling out and have good nutrition you'll be just fine. When/if you first start, within the first couple weeks try and do a benchmark workout like Fran or something to see where you're at. Then in like 10-12 weeks do it again, its pretty cool to see how far you'll come in a short time when you first get started.

Seems like most crossfit gyms offer an elements or beginner class these days that will get you started on all the movements, teach you a little about the methodology, and what not. If you're curious about it just go try it. Its not like you have to commit to it for a year before you even do your first workout.

Flojoe

FNG
And I love a schedule and a pattern to follow

This is probably one of the biggest reasons I love Crossfit.

Definitely be sure you find a good gym with good coaching. You're friends were right! The reason Crossfit gets such a bad rap is because of the few people who try and push too far past their limits and end up hurting them selves. Good coaches know how to modify lifts and work out based on people's skill levels so that you don't end up hurting yourself. There is a reason Crossfit has the so called "Cult" following, it's because it works and people love it.

Crossfit is great for breaking up the norms that a lot of people associate with the gym. Good gyms and coaching will make you feel like you're doing something new everyday but still be following a program so that you'll see improvement.

Rackmastr

WKR
I went to Crossfit for almost 2 years, and I'd say it re-juvinated my health and my fitness with a commitment to going and eating right, learning, and progressing. I became stronger and saw my lifts grow. I became faster and my stamina on hunts has increased. Overall, the atmosphere of group WODs and scheduled training helped me get back on track after several years of not doing too much and just falling into worse and worse 'dad bod shape'

What has been said here is all true about coaches being the key and different boxes being better than others. I like a box with a strength bias and with a lot of good lifts and programming that is biased towards strength. Some boxes will have size limitations or equipment limitations depending on how new they are or how much sq footage they have. Ask about programming and talk to the owner about how they choose their programming and what your goals are.

After 2 years, I'm a bit 'worn out' of Crossfit and have realized I've hit a bit of a wall with it. I think some of it is just becoming a bit stagnant and wanting a change, so I'm working on doing some strength stuff and lifting on my own now that I have the desire and commitment to follow through. I understand lifting and can find what works best for me, and for now I just found that I needed to step back a bit and re-assess my fitness as I was starting to get some 'nagging' injuries that only seem to happen when I train specifically in CF type movements or speeds.

I've seen a couple bad injuries personally, but I'd say most of them are due to a bit of clumsiness (missed box jumps x2 resulted in broken bones that I've seen) but other than that, minor injuries or training injuries that all athletes deal with. There IS a difference I find between Crossfit the 'workout' and Crossfit the 'sport'.

Anyways, lots of great info here but that's my two cents!

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Awesome thanks guys! So how big is the back squat in crossfit and pull ups? I've never been able to back squat because of flexibility issues in my shoulders/thoracic outlet syndrome. Pullups, I currently struggle with. When I did P90x I'd use the power bands to simulate a pull up... LOL I guess I have a long ways to go.

Thanks guys. I'm more incline to train like other backcountry hunters vs taking advice from some yahoo on Google. I saw that Brian on the Gritty does it and he's a beast!!!

Rackmastr

WKR
In the gym I use, we squat a bunch. Again, there was a definite 'strength' bias so there was a lot of squatting, snatching, cleaning, jerking, etc.

And yes, I'd say the pull-up is a staple of most Crossfit gyms and is seen in a lot of WODs. Like anything, there is scaling and progression and that's what CF is really good about. If you cant pull-up yet, then you look at doing negatives, banded, jumping, ring pull-ups, etc until you can start getting more and more. Progressing past pull-ups you've got chest-to-bar, ring muscle ups, bar muscle ups, etc.

It isn't about walking in the door and being competitive or worrying about much other than what you can do now and what you want to do in the future. Set some goals, check your ego at the door, find good coaches who know your limitations and can help you scale or find ways to help your progression, and keep going. You'll see some crazy gains is my guess and may even enjoy it!

Flojoe

FNG
In the gym I use, we squat a bunch. Again, there was a definite 'strength' bias so there was a lot of squatting, snatching, cleaning, jerking, etc.

And yes, I'd say the pull-up is a staple of most Crossfit gyms and is seen in a lot of WODs. Like anything, there is scaling and progression and that's what CF is really good about. If you cant pull-up yet, then you look at doing negatives, banded, jumping, ring pull-ups, etc until you can start getting more and more. Progressing past pull-ups you've got chest-to-bar, ring muscle ups, bar muscle ups, etc.

It isn't about walking in the door and being competitive or worrying about much other than what you can do now and what you want to do in the future. Set some goals, check your ego at the door, find good coaches who know your limitations and can help you scale or find ways to help your progression, and keep going. You'll see some crazy gains is my guess and may even enjoy it!

^^^^^^^^^^^👍
Yeah exactly what he said!!

Poser

WKR
The Backsquat frequency will vary from box to box, but, IMHO, if a box is not programming backsquats very regularly, they are doing something very wrong. There is a popular box in my city that doesn't program backsquats at all. Their philosophy is focused on the front squat since it is directly involved in the Oly lifts. That's faulty thinking IMO. The Backsquat is the king of lifts and drives strength in many of the other movements including the front squat plus, since you are able to shoulder the most weight, it drives the body to release growth hormones.

If you've had problems with the Backsquat in the past, you may just need to individual coaching on the movement. Try learning the low bar Backsquat if there is someone knowledgable to teach you. It has the bar laying in a lower position on your back than the high bar and might address the problems you've had in the past.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pullups. You'll see plenty of people using bands to assist pullups.

ethan

WKR
Great advice here. In a short time you'll see crazy improvements in strength, endurance, AND mobility. Squats are huge in cross fit and you'll do a lot of variations of squats but you can scale in many ways. I was not expecting the improvements I experienced with my flexibility and the mobility I mentioned earlier. The cross fit community is mind blowing to say the least and is a huge help as well.

I asked about cross fit on here before I started a year and a half ago just like you did. Some of the best advice I got was if you go to a cross fit box and they don't require you to do an intro or foundations class before you start go to another box, no questions. The "cross fit is dangerous and injury thing" comes from people trying to cash in on the popularity and don't know what they're doing. As was mentioned above, coaches make the difference!

ethan

WKR
One other note, every elk hunt I've ever done I have done reasonably well as far as my fitness level. But last year in Oregon was my first hunt since starting cross fit and I was kind of blown away by how much of an improvement i saw!

Rackmastr

WKR
The Backsquat frequency will vary from box to box, but, IMHO, if a box is not programming backsquats very regularly, they are doing something very wrong. There is a popular box in my city that doesn't program backsquats at all. Their philosophy is focused on the front squat since it is directly involved in the Oly lifts. That's faulty thinking IMO. The Backsquat is the king of lifts and drives strength in many of the other movements including the front squat plus, since you are able to shoulder the most weight, it drives the body to release growth hormones.

If you've had problems with the Backsquat in the past, you may just need to individual coaching on the movement. Try learning the low bar Backsquat if there is someone knowledgable to teach you. It has the bar laying in a lower position on your back than the high bar and might address the problems you've had in the past.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pullups. You'll see plenty of people using bands to assist pullups.

Great post! Totally agree!

primitive

FNG
Great advice on here! Like Rackmaster said check your ego at the door. There will be young gals in their 20's who will outlift, outrun, and kick your ass. You will push yourself to exhaustion and have people actually cheering you on. If you scale back the things that cause pain you will have longevity in Crossfit. I would say that you should have 6-12 individual sessions with your coach before you are allowed into class. This is critical as you are learning the variety of Olympic lifts and how to do them properly. It usually ends with a test (mine was Fight Gone Bad), then you are ready. No question is stupid, "rolling" out various muscle groups is critical, and don't freak when you find out the cost! It's worth it in my opinion.
I was a sceptic at first, but I can honestly say that at 51 (I joined when I turned 50) I have never worked out so hard nor felt this good in my adult life. Be prepared to buy the shirts, shoes, and supplements (Mt Ops Enduro is awesome during your workout btw). Give it 3 months then evaluate. You will be glad you did!

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks guys! So how big is the back squat in crossfit and pull ups? I've never been able to back squat because of flexibility issues in my shoulders/thoracic outlet syndrome. Pullups, I currently struggle with. When I did P90x I'd use the power bands to simulate a pull up... LOL I guess I have a long ways to go.

Thanks guys. I'm more incline to train like other backcountry hunters vs taking advice from some yahoo on Google. I saw that Brian on the Gritty does it and he's a beast!!!

Backsquats are big at my box and probably most. But we have some people who just can't squat deep or heavy do to various issues. The coach works with them on what they can do. I would ask the coach how he "scales" workouts for those who can't currently squat deep or have poor shoulder flexibility. Also, check out the other people in the gym. If there are no chubby people who look like they are just starting out it might not be the place to start.

jmez

WKR
We do a lot of squats as well. If you really can't do them for physical reasons the coach should give you some substitute exercises. They will also, if they are any good, work with you with little to no weight and build you up until you can do them. Pull ups will be the same. You start Crossfit and you will be amazed at how many pullups you can do in a year.

Everything else has pretty much been covered. IMO Crossfit itself doesn't subject you to any increase in chance of injury over any other form or working out. You can get hurt doing any sort or exercise. What can happen is that you get into a group situation, see girls, little skinny guys etc tearing it up. You then try to match or outdo them and are not capable, that is where you will get hurt. Check your ego at the door. There will always be someone bigger, faster and stronger than you. Compete with yourself and with those at your level. There are things that I just don't like, am not good with and not comfortable with. I just tell my coach and he gives me a substitute, no problems. He does it with everyone in the gym. They should not force you into anything.

Go in and interview the gym owner. Tell them what your goals are and why you would come. Then, make them explain to you how their programming and gym will meet those needs. If you get a because it is Crossfit and it is the greatest ever and other workout programs don't work and it is Crossfit and great for everything and it is Crossfit and simply the best ever, etc etc etc. Proceed with caution.

I sent you a PM... BUT wanted a chance to plug Big Sky Crossfit here in Great Falls... I have been going with my wife for just about 4 years now. The other 2 options in town were actually started by coaches that previously started at Big Sky.

Ryan and Ashley know their stuff. They train with Margoux Alvarex who was 6th in the games last year. They both made regionals this year... Ryan has made it 5 years now... you won't find that type of experience anywhere in the state.

They will work with you with any limitations you have. If you cant back squat, they will not only program around it... but they will help you work to a point where you get your mobility and form issues fixed enough to back squat. I can say that we back squat once a week max. Lots of front, over head and other types of squats. Squats are the basis for nearly all movements.

Pull ups are something that you will get in time. THey have helped hundreds of people. My wife used to have to uses boxes and bands... now she butterflys 30 chest to bars in a row and ended up in the top 100 in the region this year.

I am super biased compared to most in this thread simply because you live in the same town as me. Honestly, I am good friends with the guys at RPP and they are great coaches as well.

Hit me up with any questions. I go at about 600 to 630 most mornings. Sometimes 600 pm... sometimes both haha

Joe

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
The Backsquat frequency will vary from box to box, but, IMHO, if a box is not programming backsquats very regularly, they are doing something very wrong. There is a popular box in my city that doesn't program backsquats at all. Their philosophy is focused on the front squat since it is directly involved in the Oly lifts. That's faulty thinking IMO.

Not to hijack the thread but have they ever looked at any actual weightlifting programming because that's hysterical. The backsquat is programmed equally or more than front squats for the vast majority of weightlifters. Like you said in the part I cut out the back squat is the king of compound lifts. It carries over to your pull in both lifts, and your ability to stand up in the snatch. To not program it is ludicrous.

Poser

WKR
Not to hijack the thread but have they ever looked at any actual weightlifting programming because that's hysterical. The backsquat is programmed equally or more than front squats for the vast majority of weightlifters. Like you said in the part I cut out the back squat is the king of compound lifts. It carries over to your pull in both lifts, and your ability to stand up in the snatch. To not program it is ludicrous.

I don't know. They are the most popular box in town with the most membership and the highest membership fees, though. Pay more money to not have to squat?