cooking & staying warm in no fire zone

davsco

WKR
i've motel'd it the last three rifle seasons and have had as you know record cold. for those that have slept in cars/trucks or small tents during fire bans, how did you stay warm and cook food, heat water, etc?

fmyth

WKR
Kodiak canvas tent with a canvas tarp over the floor, cot/pad/down bag, Little Buddy heater connected to a 20lb propane tank.

cnelk

WKR
I hunted during a Stage 2 Fire Ban. Any fuel/heat source must have a shut off valve in a Stage Ban.

Everything else is a big No-No

What are STAGE 2 Fire Restrictions?
STAGE 2 Fire Restrictions help land management
agencies reduce fire risk and prevent wildfires during periods of high to extreme fire danger.
PROHIBITIONS:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire 36 CFR 261.52(a). This includes charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves and sheepherder’s stoves and includes use in developed camping and picnic grounds.
EXCEPT: Devices using pressurized liquid or gas (stoves, grills or lanterns) that include shut-off valves are permitted when used in an area at least three feet or more from flammable material such as grasses or pine needles.
2. Smoking. 36 CFR 261.52(c)
EXCEPT: Within enclosed vehicle, trailer or building.
3. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame. 36 CFR 261.52(i).
4. Operating or using any internal combustion engine (e.g. chainsaw, generator, ATV) without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
(a) Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or
(b) Appropriate Society of automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a). 36 CFR 261.52(j)
5. Operating a chainsaw without an approved spark arresting device as described in Prohibition #4, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use. 36 CFR 261.52(h).
6. Using an explosive. 36 CFR 261.52(b). This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary.

cnelk

WKR
Kinda spooky when you can see flames tho

Attachments

• 1BCDC24E-B5B3-4188-8232-3BC0E6C0C95D.jpeg
    1BCDC24E-B5B3-4188-8232-3BC0E6C0C95D.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 84

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
My Little Buddy heater is great for sleeping in the back of my truck (with a topper). Also good for a smaller tent to knock the chill off. I use it if it's cold and don't want to set up the wall tent.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
I hunted during a Stage 2 Fire Ban. Any fuel/heat source must have a shut off valve in a Stage Ban.
thx, so what did you use to cook and stay warm (or what do you recommend)?

chindits

WKR
I always backpack/cold camp even during 4th rifle and cat season. Really a non-issue, just gear up like a cold weather backpacker.

As far as cooking goes:

C7585C6E-456F-497E-BDE4-DFE00BF5DA65.jpeg

cnelk

WKR
thx, so what did you use to cook and stay warm (or what do you recommend)?

I have a propane single burner that screws into a green bottle for heating water.
I also have a Coleman Blackcat I use for heat

Both legal in fire bans

Wood stove with spark arrester on top of the pipe. But more importantly don’t be a fool. Don’t flip the door open and start poking the shit out of the fire. Don’t close the door and feed it maximum air. Do things in moderation and use some common sense. If it’s windy even more so. IMHO the level to which the laws are made have to account for people who aren’t mountain smart and need to be told what to do. And rightfully so. I’ve put out a few fires from careless greenhorns. Called in the choppers once. No doubt it can get to be like a matchbox at times. But if it’s that bad it’s usually earlier in the season and so you don’t actually need a fire at night.

Jkr61

FNG
Staying warm for sleeping= down sleeping bag if it’s real cold add long johns a thermal shirt and beanie style hat.
cooking and heating water= whisperlite backpacking stove
When I camp with a campfire you end up sitting around the fire at night talking (drinking). No campfire I head to bed at dark usually which means it’s a lot easier to get up before dawn.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Base camp or truck camp type camping, nothing changes. We use propane for heating, cooking, lighting, and shower water, with or without fire restrictions. I do like having a camp fire some nights, but not having one doesn’t affect our cooking or heating.

blackdawg

WKR
Nuway vented propane heater. Best option that I have found for heavy camps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
i've motel'd it the last three rifle seasons and have had as you know record cold. for those that have slept in cars/trucks or small tents during fire bans, how did you stay warm and cook food, heat water, etc?

If truck camping during a fire ban - Little Buddy heater and a 12 man tent. Stays plenty warm on low, can run you out on high.

If backpack hunting during a fire ban - 0* down sleeping bag and MSR Windburner for cooking.

Water can be tricky, but I have been able to hit creeks with running water to refill. It's more of a chore to keep it from freezing.

Beendare

WKR
Back in my youth when we rifle hunted the Colorado high country there were times when we had 2 feet of drifted snow up against the wall tent at 10,000’and we had to open the flaps because the woodstove made it’s so hot in there.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the MSR stove . It’s true altitude and temp can weaken the flame but if you put your hands on the fuel can, it goes back to normal almost immediately. Jetboils are fine but the piezo will go out on your first trip.