Cooper Tires

Anyone running any version of the Cooper Discoverer? Some good deals for Black Friday and I may grab a set for the Sequoia. If not good, what are you guys running on 75% highway-25% offroad large SUV tires?
Had the old cooper stt, about to buy the new cooper stt pro in a 37. Theyre a little soft (good winter mud tire) and mountain peak rated, so don't expect 40k+ out of them, but very tough tire with great traction in all terrains imo.

id_jon

WKR
It’s funny, but it looks like people are hot or cold with the AT3 on snow. Some swear by them some swear at them. Can’t figure why the disparity.
I should have specified that I might stud the st maxxs since they're already setup for studs. I have not had them in snow yet so I might see how they do first

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Wow, Thanks for all the input guys. I saw that Walmart had decent prices at least compared to the BFGs we put on our work trucks. Never bought tires from Walmart and may not, but it got me thinking about Black Friday Sales and new tires and here we are.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It was just what I was looking for.

Several years ago I had Cooper tires on my truck and one of them threw the tread off the carcass like a cheap re-cap. Cooper replaced the tire at no charge and confirmed there was no recall on those tires. About 2 months later a second one let go and pitched the truck sideways down the freeway at about 70mph. I almost lost it completely, but was able to straighten it out. That one did $8,500 worth of damage to the truck. Cooper covered it and replaced all four tires, this time claiming that they were in fact, recalled.

Tony Rumore

2five7

WKR
Had the old cooper stt, about to buy the new cooper stt pro in a 37. Theyre a little soft (good winter mud tire) and mountain peak rated, so don't expect 40k+ out of them, but very tough tire with great traction in all terrains imo.
I don't think the STT Pro is mountain peak rated, unless that's a very recent change.

Had the AT's and they were fantastic for 10,000 miles but after the second rotation, there was no way that they would stay in balance. Tire store said that they were the only set that they had had a problem with, but they were totally baffled as to why they wouldn't stay in balance.

Solved the problem.....
sold the truck!
How did you come to realize this? It seems like they would have to be seriously outta balance for the driver to notice while driving...was it learned from seeing tire wear?

manitou1

WKR
The AT3s I put on my 2020 Silverado were some of the worst tires I have used in mud, snow and ice. I did get about 45K miles out of them.
My buddy has a set on his F250 and he cannot wait to replace them. Says he won't even wait until they are wore out. Same issues I had. We both spend a lot of time off road and on snow and ice here in WY.
I had swore off Coopers after the last set but the new Rugged Treks intrigued me, especially since the local shop had them for about $50 each less than my other options I was considering.
I have had these new tires on for about two months now and have had them in 12-14" snow on Forest Service roads, on many muddy and snowy two-tracks, as-well-as everyday gravel and highway.
I am very impressed with this new tire. If they wear nicely I will definitely be buying them again.
I have used Duratraks (not overly impressed) and KO2s. The KO2s were my mainstay for years but the last set I had were wore down in 30K... on a 1/2 ton truck.

I have a set of at3s on my F350 diesel, I love them except for the fact when I hit 10,000 miles on them, and the tires were only three months old they started having drywall cracks around the bead. I took them to the local napa that installed them and while they stood behind them and replace them they said Cooper is giving them a hard time about the warranty. Which I can’t for the life of me understand… I love the tires and hope this next set does better I guess there must’ve been something bad with that batch.

A good buddy and I both love the at3 xlt.

I've got a HEAVY F250, he's run them on a f150 and now a Ranger.

elkguide

WKR
How did you come to realize this? It seems like they would have to be seriously outta balance for the driver to notice while driving...was it learned from seeing tire wear?
I had them on a '16, 2500 HD Denali Dura Max so knowing that I needed to rotate them regularly, I rotated them every 4000 miles and at about 10,000 miles they suddenly started to shake. (an annoying little vibration that didn't seem to change once you reached 30MPH) The tire store was very understanding and drove the truck themselves many times to verify my concerns and then began an almost daily try at balancing them. I bought a pair of new tires to see if that was the problem and it was apparent that to fix the problem, I needed to buy another pair and at that I threw up my hands and sold the truck.
The tires were quiet, gripped wet, muddy and snow-covered roads well but I thought that I should get more than 10,000 miles out of a set of tires, so I didn't try them on my new truck.

I had them on a '16, 2500 HD Denali Dura Max so knowing that I needed to rotate them regularly, I rotated them every 4000 miles and at about 10,000 miles they suddenly started to shake. (an annoying little vibration that didn't seem to change once you reached 30MPH) The tire store was very understanding and drove the truck themselves many times to verify my concerns and then began an almost daily try at balancing them. I bought a pair of new tires to see if that was the problem and it was apparent that to fix the problem, I needed to buy another pair and at that I threw up my hands and sold the truck.
The tires were quiet, gripped wet, muddy and snow-covered roads well but I thought that I should get more than 10,000 miles out of a set of tires, so I didn't try them on my new truck.
You sold a truck due to a vibration that seemed to involve 2 sets of tires and you were unwilling to try a 3rd?

At least I think that’s what I read. Hard to say though.

Extrapale

WKR
St Maxx is the best tire I have had. On my second set now. I got 45kish on the first set. 2500 Power Wagon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
You sold a truck due to a vibration that seemed to involve 2 sets of tires and you were unwilling to try a 3rd?

At least I think that’s what I read. Hard to say though.

It was on my accountant's schedule to be traded and it solved the problem with the Coopers. The kid that bought the truck replaced the tires with BF Goodrich ATs within two weeks of purchase as the shake drove him nuts too, he said.

It was on my accountant's schedule to be traded and it solved the problem with the Coopers. The kid that bought the truck replaced the tires with BF Goodrich ATs within two weeks of purchase as the shake drove him nuts too, he said.
Earlier today I was at the tire shop looking to buy some tires. The clerk actually recommended against the Coopers claiming they'd had lots of issues lately and saying quality had gone downhill. I ended up going with Falken Wildpeak AT3W. See how that goes I guess.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Earlier today I was at the tire shop looking to buy some tires. The clerk actually recommended against the Coopers claiming they'd had lots of issues lately and saying quality had gone downhill. I ended up going with Falken Wildpeak AT3W. See how that goes I guess.
I think you will like them and they are a very good P rated (if that's what you have; I do) off-road tire. They have an extra ply in the sidewall.

I've had them on my T4R for about 15k miles and in some pretty gnarly terrain and weather and they worked really well. Based on current wear, I'll get about 35-40k from them.

At about 13k miles, the road noise got noticeably louder, but I just turn up the radio a little.

I think you will like them and they are a very good P rated (if that's what you have; I do) off-road tire. They have an extra ply in the sidewall.

I've had them on my T4R for about 15k miles and in some pretty gnarly terrain and weather and they worked really well. Based on current wear, I'll get about 35-40k from them.

At about 13k miles, the road noise got noticeably louder, but I just turn up the radio a little.
The ones I’m getting are load range E1, for a Dodge Diesel.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
The shop might’ve gotten a couple ounces of soapy water in them when remounting the tires at some point. It’s impossible to balance a tire with a bit of water in it.