Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So I stopped by Scheels today as I had heard they would be the first stores to receive the Model 92. Lo and behold two shiny new Model 92's sat front and center in the Cooper display. Well...I can now say I'm the proud new owner of one of the very first Model 92 Backcountry rifles produced, chambered in the venerable 6.5-284!!!!

me so jealous. Nice!!!!! give us lots of reports.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on working up some loads with 4831SC and 140 Accubonds. Or maybe H4350? Can't wait to finally shoot it, but I've been so busy just haven't had time to get it ready

choovhntr

WKR
I'm planning on working up some loads with 4831SC and 140 Accubonds. Or maybe H4350? Can't wait to finally shoot it, but I've been so busy just haven't had time to get it ready

What rings did you end up using with the warne bases? Mine is coming with the same ones and wasn't sure if you have to get warne rings or will others fit.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
I actually took them off and put Talley LW's on. I think you can run Warne or Weaver rings on the Warne bases??

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the two Model 92s heading to Alaska are shipping out today! Can't wait to get mine rolling!

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few pics of the rifle setup, decided to top it with a Swaro Z3. Comes in just a hair over 7lbs!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on!!! Keep us posted. Last I heard mine is on its way, but not certain of that....

pldawg

FNG
just got back from the range with mine, still haven't found a load that my gun likes. Switching bullets to the 140 grain Sierra Game King to give that one a whirl. Tried two different powders with the 150 grain Accubond Long Range but neither powders were great.

Here are a few pics of the rifle setup, decided to top it with a Swaro Z3. Comes in just a hair over 7lbs!

Man, that is a sweet looking setup, a bit on the heavy side , but very sharp none the less. Congrats, and I hope that it shoots lights out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pldawg

FNG
140 grain Sierra Game King were slightly better but no real winner groups on the stepping powder charges. Off to the next combo I guess. Maybe my expectations were too high with this gun but I am a bit dissapointed so far.

Curious if anyone else has had a chance to range test their 92's...

Pldawg have you tried the bullet Cooper used for the test target to verify something else isn't going on with the rifle?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
140 grain Sierra Game King were slightly better but no real winner groups on the stepping powder charges. Off to the next combo I guess. Maybe my expectations were too high with this gun but I am a bit dissapointed so far.

Curious if anyone else has had a chance to range test their 92's...

what size groups are you getting?

pldawg

FNG
Pldawg have you tried the bullet Cooper used for the test target to verify something else isn't going on with the rifle?

I am trying that next. The test target was with a 130 grain Sierra Match King with 56 grains of RL19 and Federal Match primers, so the 140 grain Sierra Game King was a close as I could get for a hunting load.

what size groups are you getting?

Best 5 shot group is just under an inch at 100 yards...I am up to 23 different combinations or bullet/primer/powder and none have been able to group to the 1/2 MOA...but maybe my expectations are too high?

I have the components to duplicate the load that Cooper used for their test target next...and I have also recruited friends that I know are capable of shooting 1/4" groups to assist and shoot the rifle as well for the next range test just to take my ability out of the mix as well.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Cooper showed up today! Can't wait to get some range time in!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

choovhntr

WKR
Very nice! Have had mine for a week now but haven't had the time to get to the range yet. It's killing me. I ended up getting a 300 as well. Curious to see what loads they like.