Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

choovhntr

WKR
Here is my rifle. Kinda a different stock. Actually bought it unseen. But it's growing on me and the rifle itself feel great! Image1468645279.507951.jpg

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the scope on. Leupold VX6 3-18x44mm Side Focus CDS 30mm Rifle Scope,Matte,TMOA Reticle Leupold Product #120173
Camerland NY is having a big sale and it wold be worth calling them to find their price. Its the annual Doug is fishing sale. :)

And of course my scale is not working, but even with the big scope (pending my math skills) this rifle is sitting right at 7lbs. Not bad for Mountain Rifle with some extended reach and some solid optics. I chose the VX 6 as it is just so bright and clear, and I've really come to appreciate bright, clear, and extended magnification optics over the last few few years.
attachment.php

pldawg

FNG
anyone else make it to the range yet? I'm heading out in the morning again...we'll see how it goes. I have the load that Cooper used for their test target ready to go and some loads with the Hornady ELD-X bullets.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been shooting Winchester's purchased ammo just to get the rifle on paper. Shot really well at first, great groups, then it started getting crazy on me. I knew something had to be off, and it was.. In my rush to get out of the house I forgot to add the Loktite to the rings. The scope moved in the rings.. So, remounted the scope and we will it the range again tomorrow. Recoil was very manageable (300 WM), trigger was a pure joy.

pldawg

FNG
I agree, the trigger is awesome!!!!

Went to the range today, shot two foulers then started on the load that Cooper used for the test target.

.688 three shot group...good to go! I was very pleased with that group.

Then shot the first five rounds with the loads worked up with the ELD-x bullets. Decent, nothing great...about an inch and a quarter.

I then switched back to the match loads the same as the Cooper target.

First shot was good, second shot was 3 inches off high left...now I'm confused. third shot was almost touching the second shot...I shot another three rounds and they were scattered in-between those first two shots.

So now I am really confused. I was at the range for about 2 hours, I was very intentional to leave plenty of time for the barrel to cool and it was 62 degrees at the range today.

I called Cooper and they'd like to take a look at the rifle but are 6-8weeks out on service...my hunting season starts August 15th so I guess I have to make a decision to try and find a load that will get me through or change my focus to a different rifle and send this one back...

bummer...I was really hoping to use this one all fall and not feeling real confident in it right now.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bummer.. Did you try a box of factory ammo just to see? My scope visibly slipped in the rings, so I am pretty sure that was my issue. Hopefully tomorrow's test will prove all is well.

pldawg

FNG
I used some Remington 280 ammunition but mine is chambered in the 280 ackley improved thinking I could use Nosler factory ammunition if I had to, but the Coopers come in the original PO Ackley specs(didn't know that when I ordered it) with the 35 degree shoulder and not the modified Nosler SAAMI specs. I don't think I can shoot the Nosler 280 ackley ammunition. Remington factory ammo was not great, hand loads have been better. Factory Remington don't even fire form as well as the hand loaded rounds I used to fireform 280 brass.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds complicated. : ) I'm not together enough to verge off standard calibers. LOL :) .308 WIN, 300 WM, and 338 WM are my favorite big game calibers. Although I have always wanted a lever 45-70.. :)

GKPrice

Banned
Hit the Cooper booth at SHOT show specifically to see this gun. They teased us with it at SHOT 2015, but it is here now and ready for order to deliver in late spring. Model 92 is named by weight of the gun- 92 ounces (5.75lbs)

I held and tried the gun for about 20 minutes. It was topped with a 4.5-14x42 Leuopold (I think those scopes are around 20 ounces-chime in if you know) and it handled very well. Quick snap to the shoulder, good check weld for me with fast sight acquisition and of course, lightweight!

At 5.75 lbs naked in a belted magnum, I think you guys are going to be happy. The muzzle-brake is removable but at that weight, I don't want to be the first to try it without.

Available in all calibers from the standard up to the belted magnums (including .338) and coming in under $3,000 with their 1/2 MOA guarantee, this gun is going to rock the lightweight gun world.

Looks like Rokslide prostaffer, Matt Wymer, will be testing this gun in Alaska for Dall sheep later this year, so we'll have at least a pre-review up soon after he receives his gun. But if you like the gun, don't wait for the review. Cooper is a solid company and I'd trust buying one now if I were in the market. Here's a video with Mike Hudgins of Cooper.

[video=youtube_share;PlYm0IbfdS0]http://youtu.be/PlYm0IbfdS0[/video]

Leupold VX3i in 4.5x14x40mm (there aren't any 42mm) weighs a smidge over 12 oz VX3i 6.5x20x50mm w/30mm tube weighs a bit over 20 oz

pldawg

FNG
This is attempts 25 and 26 of combinations...some groups are a little better than this but this is pretty typical of what I have been getting...not quite a 1/2MOA gun...more of a "1 1/2 MOA" gun. :(

6 minute cool downs between each shot on these groups. I am going to give it one more try with the Cooper target load and 30 minute cool down between each shot before sending it back to Cooper.

IMG_5901.jpg

choovhntr

WKR
Really sorry to hear that. I hope you and cooper figure it out. Still haven't gotten mine out yet. Been busy at work. I'm sure cooper will stand by their product and make it right for you

Dennis

WKR
Cooper 92 in 6.5 X 284 Norma with what I have learned so far. I tried to upload some photos with no success. Today I shot it for the first time at 100 yards shooting three shot groups. My plan was to shoot Berger VLD hunting bullets as my first choice and try a Barnes LRX BT and a couple factory loads. I shot the factory loads first (Nosler 129 gr LRAB and HSM 140 gr VLD). The HSM shot 1.0" at 3045 fps and the Nosler load shot 2" at 2980 fps. Then I tried reloads testing the Berger VLD hunting bullets and what overall length shot best using a minimum powder charge of 48.5 H4831sc and Federal 210 match primers. The best OAL length was 3.060 which shot 0.6". 3.100 shot 0.8 and the other two shorter lengths shot 1.0". Then I tried the Barnes LRX-BT bullets with 53.5 grains Reloader 22 and Federal primer. Wow!! That load shot great. 0.3" at 3036 fps. I will continue working on the Berger VLD loads, but I think my Barnes load is set. My rifle has Talley lightweight rings and bases with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 X 44 BT scope and weights 7.19 lbs. The base weight when the rifle arrived was 6.09
lbs FYI

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cooper 92 in 6.5 X 284 Norma with what I have learned so far. I tried to upload some photos with no success. Today I shot it for the first time at 100 yards shooting three shot groups. My plan was to shoot Berger VLD hunting bullets as my first choice and try a Barnes LRX BT and a couple factory loads. I shot the factory loads first (Nosler 129 gr LRAB and HSM 140 gr VLD). The HSM shot 1.0" at 3045 fps and the Nosler load shot 2" at 2980 fps. Then I tried reloads testing the Berger VLD hunting bullets and what overall length shot best using a minimum powder charge of 48.5 H4831sc and Federal 210 match primers. The best OAL length was 3.060 which shot 0.6". 3.100 shot 0.8 and the other two shorter lengths shot 1.0". Then I tried the Barnes LRX-BT bullets with 53.5 grains Reloader 22 and Federal primer. Wow!! That load shot great. 0.3" at 3036 fps. I will continue working on the Berger VLD loads, but I think my Barnes load is set. My rifle has Talley lightweight rings and bases with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 X 44 BT scope and weights 7.19 lbs. The base weight when the rifle arrived was 6.09
lbs FYI

Very nice! I got weathered out last weekend, so this Saturday will be my next test. Sounds like you have a good load to work with. BTW, welcome to Rokslide.

pldawg

FNG
lbs FYI

Yeah that's great...glad to hear it's shooting well for you!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Mine is still at my FFLs....but I am out of town until August 10th and fly to Kodiak early morning of the 12th...with limited time I am hoping to atleast some factory ammo so I can atleast tip some deer over with it hopefully between the 12-21st of August.

Last edited:

Eagle

WKR
This is attempts 25 and 26 of combinations...some groups are a little better than this but this is pretty typical of what I have been getting...not quite a 1/2MOA gun...more of a "1 1/2 MOA" gun. :(

6 minute cool downs between each shot on these groups. I am going to give it one more try with the Cooper target load and 30 minute cool down between each shot before sending it back to Cooper.

View attachment 38761

PDawg,

Just wanted to provide you some of what I experienced with my cooper model 52 in 280ai. The biggest thing, was that the rifle shot it's best after 40 rounds had been run through after a thorough cleaning. Those first 40 rounds after cleaning were always accurate, but nothing like what my gun was capable of after some fouling had built up. The only cleaning I would do was a 270 bore snake between every round fired, and I generally let the barrel cool 3-5 minutes between rounds. With enough fouling, my gun was capable of .25 moa with factory federal 280 rem loads, .5 moa with nosle 280ai loads (they will shoot fine out of your cooper), and .33 moa with my hand loads.

What I would suggest before sending it to cooper is running 40-50 rounds through it, with a bore snake in between every few rounds, and then check it's accuracy once some fouling has built up. Hope that helps.

pldawg

FNG
PDawg,

Just wanted to provide you some of what I experienced with my cooper model 52 in 280ai. The biggest thing, was that the rifle shot it's best after 40 rounds had been run through after a thorough cleaning. Those first 40 rounds after cleaning were always accurate, but nothing like what my gun was capable of after some fouling had built up. The only cleaning I would do was a 270 bore snake between every round fired, and I generally let the barrel cool 3-5 minutes between rounds. With enough fouling, my gun was capable of .25 moa with factory federal 280 rem loads, .5 moa with nosle 280ai loads (they will shoot fine out of your cooper), and .33 moa with my hand loads.

What I would suggest before sending it to cooper is running 40-50 rounds through it, with a bore snake in between every few rounds, and then check it's accuracy once some fouling has built up. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the heads up and that's interesting! I have been shooting two foulers, then 15 rounds and cleaning again...rinse and repeat. I will have to give that a try and I appreciate the info! I am only about 4 hours away from the Cooper factory so I was tempted to drive it over to them some day when I am ready and take a tour while over there too!! Probably be a ton of fun and very informative too.

pldawg

FNG
I feel like I'm making some progress now. I called Cooper again yesterday and they asked me to check the action screws to make sure they didn't loosen up since it is such a light rifle. They were loose and I tightened them as they recommended.

I believe that might have been the culprit as I shot a group at .314" at 100 yards today!!! Yippee! Now I feel like I'm ready for my elk hunt in 13 days.

Oh and it looks like the picture is rotated here in the attachment...the grouping is actually at 12 o'clock and an inch high of where I was aiming...not that that matters for groupings it was just bothering me when I looked at it here!! :)

IMG_5929.jpg

Last edited: