Copper Bullets for Baited Bear?

Headed to Canada next month to hunt black bear for the first time. This is a baited hunt so shots are going to be around 20-30 yards. I like to use 130gr Barnes VOR-TX (TTSX BT) in my .270. Anyone have luck with all copper bullets on bears that close? I haven't had any issues with the barnes hunting everything from coues, muleys, elk and african plains animals but none of the shots have been that close.

In theory, that bullet will be at its very best at that range. We used that same round early on, at a bait site, and honestly was pretty dissapointed with the results. Had much faster kills with 130 grn partitions or interlocks. Neither were nice on hide at that distance though. Atleast 2 inch exits in the hide, with huge blood trail if needed.

The reason I was dissapointed with the ttsx, was slower kills and surpisingly minimal internal damage. Much less than a 243 with interlocks we were using......

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Your 270/139gr TTSX will be fine.

I use a 7mm-08 140ttsx now and my closest bear kill was about 12 yards. Bear went about 15 yards after that shot (broadside double lung)

Shot them less than 30 yards with 303 savage/hrdy interlock, 30-06 160gr accubond and 180 gr interlock, 50 cal ML 250gr TEZ and SST and a couple with 7mm-08 140gr barnes ttsx. All results the same. Holes in both lungs, dead bear.

To be honest, I think we spend too much time worrying about this stuff.

I've shot a lot of bears at that range and if you're not concerned with the skull just brain them. Instant death and any bullet is going to work great.

Head shots are not generally advised in 99% of hunting conditions but close range black bears is a little different, relatively big target and usually plenty of time to make a great shot if you're comfortable with it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m considering the Speer 180 Grand Slam in my 300 saum for baited bear. Short range and a big chunk of lead.
Normally shoot the 168 TSX.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Short range +

high impact velocity +

desire to minimize damage to hide =

Perfect use case scenario for monos/ Barnes X bullets.