Copper Spur vs Nemo ( and maybe TarpTent) - which one?

gostovp

WKR
Anyone have any experience with the Big Agnus Copper Spur HV UL 2 vs the Nemo Dragonfly Osmo or Hornet Osmo or Tracker Osmo 2p tents? The specs look pretty similar between them.
Also I’ve read a lot of good things about TarpTent on here… which TarpTent model would be similar to those tents?
Looking for three season backpacking tent.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t compare it to the other ones, but I’ve been happy with my copper spur.

sivart

WKR
I'll just say the copper spur is my goto right now. Don't think I'll every run a non freestanding tent again. I'd get the 2 person. Not much weight penalty and you'll have room for gear.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Ran a Dragonfly 3P last year and not planning on changing.

Can't compare as I haven't used the others. I do realize how helpful that is. 🤣

Cyril

FNG
My wife and I bought both the Nemo dragonfly and copper spur in 3 person versions for the two of us and our dog. We set them up side by side in the yard and tested the out. Ultimately we kept the Nemo.

It felt larger on the interior, definitely had bigger vestibules. It also felt nicer, thicker more durable floor. It weighs a little more but in a side by side, it was worth the weight penalty in our eyes. We have spent a week or so in it and it is the perfect size for three people back packing.

I have a copper spur ul2 ive used a few years now - I have zero complaints about it. I have a dragonfly osmo 2p thats a backup that Im going to use it on a 4-5 day section hike in a few weeks and Ill report back. The dragonfly is essentially the nemo verson of the copper spur, the hornet is semi freestanding like the tiger wall. Everthing Ive read, people dont have much bad to say about any of them.

Also just weighed both with their footprint. The dragonfly osmo 2p is 3lbs 9 oz, the Copper Spur hv ul2 is 3lbs 7 oz.

Even though the copper spur weighs slightly less, the dragonfly packs shorter and noticeably less bulky.

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 23

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with the Big Agnus Copper Spur HV UL 2 vs the Nemo Dragonfly Osmo or Hornet Osmo or Tracker Osmo 2p tents? The specs look pretty similar between them.
Also I’ve read a lot of good things about TarpTent on here… which TarpTent model would be similar to those tents?
Looking for three season backpacking tent.
I have a copper spur HV3 that I used and switched to a Nemo Hornet 2P. The hornet is crazy light. I love it for myself. Doors on each side for keeping gear out of the elements. For myself the hornet is my favorite free standing shelter.

Big fan of Nemo gear. Been pleased but i dont have any of the specific tents offered.

When i was researching between the copper spur and the losi 3p i ultimately got, i read a lot of reports of the copper spur being a little on the flimsy side in wind and light on the material side. Most people were happy with the copper spur so it must be a good tent.
I just preferred a little more weight for more “durability” whether true or perceived.

Check out the copper spur and then grab the copper hotel rain fly. Leaves a ton of room for packs and gear out of the weather. It’s big enough I can sit in there and cook as well when the weather gets bad

Tahoe1305

WKR
Check out the copper spur and then grab the copper hotel rain fly. Leaves a ton of room for packs and gear out of the weather. It’s big enough I can sit in there and cook as well when the weather gets bad

This is appealing to me too, but some reviews say the setup is about 6lbs or so (2p). Can you confirm the weight on yours with hotel fly?

This is appealing to me too, but some reviews say the setup is about 6lbs or so (2p). Can you confirm the weight on yours with hotel fly?
3lbs 9oz on my scale. Which is very close to the specs on REI’s website.

Seems very reasonable to me given the amount of room overall. I’ve considered adding a stove jack to the vestibule area as well.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I ran BA for years. I went to a tarptent double rainbow. Haven't gone back to BA.