Corned venison recipe?

fwafwow

WKR
I'm going to do some corned venison roasts. I've done it before, but before I Google to try to find the same or a similar recipe, I thought I'd ask for recommendations here. I do have the pink curing salt.

Fordguy

WKR
I used the recipe from a field and stream article last week. It calls for Mortons tender quick and instead of pink curing salt. It was very simple and I enjoyed the results.
-edited because the automatic spell check on my phone is both irritating and hilarious.

Last edited:

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Hank’s is dynamite. Makes killer Ruben’s the next day sliced up. I think it works best with a deer sirloin tip roast. Everytime I’ve tried to do an elk the cure doesn’t make it to the center. Probably need to inject it.

timstl

FNG
Hank’s is dynamite. Makes killer Ruben’s the next day sliced up. I think it works best with a deer sirloin tip roast. Everytime I’ve tried to do an elk the cure doesn’t make it to the center. Probably need to inject it.

I just did this one, too, but used a top round. I didn't plan ahead enough and only had 2 days for it to cure. The pink didn't quite make it to the center, but it still turned out good. I dropped it in the crockpot with cabbage, carrots, potatoes, beer, water, and some additional seasoning (similar to what would come in a corned beef packet) on low for 8 hours.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Thickness + surface area + cure concentration determine cure time. For those not curing to the center means it needs to cure longer. I've never tried injection, so that may work, but I wonder how consistent it would be.

For reference, I corned a brisket for pastrami. The recipe said for the thickness, (~4" at its thickest) it would need to cure for thirty days. I couldn't wait anymore after 2 weeks, and it was nice and uniform.

2nd for Hank’s. His venison recipes have never let me down. On the larger cuts such as elk I 1/2 or more to ensure a better brine.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll recommend Hank Shaw as well. If you want even easier, swap out all the spices for McCormick Pickling Spice.

I’ve made it a habit to save the football roasts for this for the past several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
There are some calculators out there you can use to determine when it supposed to be cured. Look up “bacon cure calculator”. On those big elk roasts I was leaving them for two weeks and ended up with a silver dollar size section in the center uncured. The average Idaho whitetail roast was around one week.

Like Onlybrowning I save those football roasts for this exclusively. I’ve wanted to try corning a heart but the last couple elk all got their pump unit destroyed.

Last edited:

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I cured a 4 lb elk pastrami using shaws recipe for 5 days. Cure made it to the center just fine. I prefer the pastrami over corned.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I've done this dozens of times. Here's my rough recipe:

5 lbs meat
2 Tbsp non-iodized salt
2 tsp Prague Powder #1 (pink stuff)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp pickling spice (CLOVES REMOVED - YUCK)
enough water to cover it all in a non-reactive bowl

I let this sit for 5-7 days depending on the thickness of the meat.

Of course, anything by Hank Shaw is solid.

BTW, bear meat is my favorite.

Inject the meat and it will speed your cure time up considerably. You just have to move the needle around everywhere and at different depths. I used a single needle with a small handheld pump for years doing hams. Thought it was fantastic when I went to an electric pump. After that I went with an injection handle that has 5 needles.

My next one might be an auto injector with 22 needles or even better is a vacuum tumbler.

For the diy guy a small handheld pump or just an injection style syringe would work just fine. After injecting them the meat only needs to be brined about 24 hours. On smaller pieces the brine could be done in 12 hours.