Venison Birria, get you some

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I never knew what to officially call it, but this has been a favorite for years!!

Question: we’re in a bit of a crisis in my house, as we’ve recently run out of all the dried guajillos that we carted back the last time I was in NM. They cannot be obtained locally as I live on the other side of the solar system from anywhere that likes mexican food. Anyone have a recommendation for decent dried chiles that can be ordered? Im suspicious of some of what I see online and dont know any specific brands, etc.

The brand you want is "BADIA", you can snag em online no prob

Macintosh

WKR
@ianpadron @steelheadmike and anyone else who’se done this a bunch…

A few of the recipes I see call for blending or grinding the peppers and onions and broth into a thin paste, and using that as the braise. I’ve been using the whole peppers and chopped onions, but having recently experimented with a few dishes where I ground the peppers, i am curious on your thoughts here.

Also curious on the butter versus lard dilemma.

Firing up a front shoulder as we speak.

WKR
We have always blended them per recipes with excellent success. Have not used butter but how could it be wrong lol.

Need a good berry bear roast in this recipe come Sept.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
@ianpadron @steelheadmike and anyone else who’se done this a bunch…

A few of the recipes I see call for blending or grinding the peppers and onions and broth into a thin paste, and using that as the braise. I’ve been using the whole peppers and chopped onions, but having recently experimented with a few dishes where I ground the peppers, i am curious on your thoughts here.

Also curious on the butter versus lard dilemma.

Firing up a front shoulder as we speak.

No right or wrong way to do it man. I've blended peppers after leaving them whole and before ever going on top of meat. Delicious either way and I couldn't tell the difference if you asked me.

Butter or lard will accomplish the same thing

ndbuck09

WKR
Wife and I just made this yesterday and ate last night following the tips and recipe in this thread...thanks for posting it up! Was amazing!

Ddog

WKR
One of my favorite venison recipes is Chili Colorado. Usually just throw it on some tortillas with lime, cilantro and raw diced onion. I'll try frying some in the oil/sauce mix next go around (which is gonna be soon after seeing all these pics lol).

Looks killer, thanks for posting.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
One of my favorite venison recipes is Chili Colorado. Usually just throw it on some tortillas with lime, cilantro and raw diced onion. I'll try frying some in the oil/sauce mix next go around (which is gonna be soon after seeing all these pics lol).

Looks killer, thanks for posting.
You should post your go-to Colorado recipe. I've never made it but it was my go-to at the local Mexican place in my hometown

Ddog

WKR
You should post your go-to Colorado recipe. I've never made it but it was my go-to at the local Mexican place in my hometown
I usually just wing it off Hank Shaw's site, although I never can quite get every pepper seed strained out. I'll get some meat thawing and post up what I end up doing, but it's a close copy of that one, maybe a little hotter.

ndbuck09

WKR
just used leftovers from this recipe with eggs this morning...skillet warmed up the elk birria, then put some melted pepperjack on top, threw that plate in the broiler while I did 4 eggs sunny side up in the skillet and put them on top of the meat/cheese. Was phenomenal again. Thanks OP for putting this out there!

If anyone wants to do birria the easy way, look into birria bombs.
I saw them on Instagram. Basically a giant birria spice ball, add it to a crock pot or instapot with 4 cups water and 3-4 lbs of meat.

I used some canned venison but it was really gamey which I expected. Definitely worth it and I'll be buying more when the 6 I bought run out

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

JasonWi

WKR
Made these for the first time today. Turned out amazing!! My wife and I both loved the Smokey flavor and subtle heat.

I smoked a deer shoulder roast with bone in and the lower leg for three hours in addition to a full red onion. Then made the recipe as directed except added Cotija cheese in addition to the pepper jack

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5784.jpeg
    IMG_5784.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10