Venison Birria, get you some

ianpadron

WKR
Bout as close as you're going to get to the real deal Holyfield birria without going to Mexico, venison birria tacos.

As I seem to kill more deer every year and refuse to pay a processor, I've gotten in the habit of freezing huge chunks of the hind quarter instead of individual muscle groups/roast. Way faster, and allows for more options once it's dinner time. Lot more sinew/gristle left over which bodes well for slow cooker meals...

A favorite is to pick any good sized roast (2# or more) and cut it into a few 1-2" thick "steaks". Sear those in a cast iron skillet and put a nice brown on them, season with sea salt and pepper.

Remove from skillet and toss into an empty crockpot on high.

toss a whole chopped onion and 3-4 guajillo peppers into the same skillet with a heap of grass-fed butter. When onions are caramelized add beef broth and salsa of your choice to deglaze the pan. You need enough sauce to cover all the meat in the crockpot. Usually shoot for a 50/50 ratio of broth to salsa.

Cook on high for 2 hours then on low until meat falls apart. Usually takes about 8 hours total. Shred meat with a fork and mix thoroughly.

Key step is to hit the corn tortillas on a griddle in a blend of oil and sauce from the crockpot. A couple thin slices of pepper jack cheese melted on the tortilla are mission critical. We add fresh onion, cilantro, lime, and jalapeños to ours as toppings.

So far everyone who has tried these at la Casa de Padrón has been quite positive a better taco doesn't exist.

Try er out and report back.

Apologies for the lack of measurements/true recipe, was taught that real chefs wing it.
20240129_175208.jpg

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet! Gonna have to try this out soon. Always fun trying new venison recipes, put 2 bucks in the freezer this season so got plenty! I too have been leaving the hind quarters in larger roasts to save time and keep options open.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I do similar with bear meat and cook the tortillas in bear lard. They are quite good also. I'll give it a try with venison soon.
Oh buddy you can bet I'm trying that this fall, great suggestion

Clarktar

WKR
I've done this with goat roasts. So good! Birria authentico

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

We have been on a bit of a birria kick as well. It really is excellent.

I kind of mixed the recipe of two YouTube channels: Cooking con Claudia and Chuds BBQ

As an alternative to tacos, we did ramen the last time.

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_090928.jpg
    IMG_20231024_090928.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 41

Weldor

WKR
I use the Instapot for the meat takes about 30 minutes, shred and put all the fixin's in on slow cook for about 2-1/2 hrs ready to roll. Thanks for sharing, great recipe.

Not sure how I missed this thread...this is my jam.

I've done birria a few times with venison. Along the way, I did a little bit of research on the dish and there seems to be some thought that birria was originally made with vension. My guess is that it was a way to cook the desert mule deer that can be a little tough/lean. It is also traditionally made with goat (same reasons).

The key for really good birria was to add some bones (usually beef or pork) bones to the broth while the meat is cooking as they give the consomme some body. The broth/consomme is what separates birria from barbacoa. Toasting all the chiles and roasting the onions further adds flavor and complexity.

I am just as happy to eat it as a stew as I am making tacos and dipping them in the consomme.
2fe471ccda9c92894c17373109219182.jpg

Spice level? Looks tasty, just wondering if this is a me alone meal (I like spice :) ) or if the rest of the crew can handle it.
You could easily adjust the spice level. The OP used a few guajillo chilies. (Probably not real spicy.)

I have used about a dozen guajillos or New Mexico chilies, plus several arboles. (Still pretty tame, in my opinion.)

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how I missed this thread...this is my jam.

I've done birria a few times with venison. Along the way, I did a little bit of research on the dish and there seems to be some thought that birria was originally made with vension. My guess is that it was a way to cook the desert mule deer that can be a little tough/lean. It is also traditionally made with goat (same reasons).

The key for really good birria was to add some bones (usually beef or pork) bones to the broth while the meat is cooking as they give the consomme some body. The broth/consomme is what separates birria from barbacoa. Toasting all the chiles and roasting the onions further adds flavor and complexity.

I am just as happy to eat it as a stew as I am making tacos and dipping them in the consomme.
2fe471ccda9c92894c17373109219182.jpg
Damn! Looks great and I'm sure that margarita went great with it.